Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nah but it's a testament to the bad drafting that we don't have a bit more youth knocking on the door in case one of the old farts gets hurt.
Bouchard, Holloway and Broberg? Skinner? Mcleod to a lesser extent. All of these guys played significant roles this last playoff run and will going forward in all likelihood. All mid 20s and younger.

Most of the "old farts" are in their late 20s/early 30s, this team has several runs left in them at the least. Ryan, Perry, Henrique, Kane are their old guys. Ekholm is really the only older guy that is a core player.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Bouchard, Holloway and Broberg? Skinner? Mcleod to a lesser extent. All of these guys played significant roles this last playoff run and will going forward in all likelihood. All mid 20s and younger.

Most of the "old farts" are in their late 20s/early 30s, this team has several runs left in them at the least. Ryan, Perry, Henrique, Kane are their old guys. Ekholm is really the only older guy that is a core player.
the best thing for our young players, specifically broberg and holloway is to learn their future roles from ekholm and hyman and keep developing. there is no need for drastic exponential improvement in 1 season but by the time those older guys are ready to move on or take lesser roles the younger ones should be ready to take over those duties.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
With suitors for Henrique, Skinner, Janny, and Brown this Free Agency day could have gone alot different with a shittier negotiator at the helm. Jackson deserves a ton of credit for executing.
To be fair going to game 7 of the SCF makes negotiating a hell of a lot easier.

"Do you think Connor will be ok with losing again? Train to the Stanley Cup is leaving with or without you. Sign here"

On a more serious note I'm super nervous on who they name GM

Reactions: McOilers97

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

"Do you think Connor will be ok with losing again? Train to the Stanley Cup is leaving with or without you. Sign here"
Easier. But still no easy task to balance those 4 signings and make sure every signee understood the discount required to make it all work. Then you got other teams offering more money and different opportunities and/or “better” cities. It’s quite the achievement what Jackson pulled off, one we’ve never seen in Oil Country before.

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
With suitors for Henrique, Skinner, Janny, and Brown this Free Agency day could have gone alot different with a shittier negotiator at the helm. Jackson deserves a ton of credit for executing.
I wonder how much things change if we had won the cup?

Not that anyone would care about losing guys if we won the cup, but you have to think that plays into it for some guys as well.

Win the cup and some of those guys could very well just chase the money instead of re-signing here.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Not that anyone would care about losing guys if we won the cup, but you have to think that plays into it for some guys as well.

Win the cup and some of those guys could very well just chase the money instead of re-signing here.
I was thinking about in terms of our overall off season and how we would proceed. My conclusion is that we were so close to Cup we should operate as if we were working on a Dynasty next anyways. Which means run it back and improve where you can.

How free agents would see it is hard to say. I mean the Cup chance would still be there all the same, but some Cup hungers would have been satiated. So likely yeh, maybe guys like Rico chases lifestyle and money at the point since he’s already reached the mountain.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013

100% they change. I think guys with lower career earnings go and chase the bag (Janmark, Brown). But as you said nobody would care because we would all be too drunk until October to notice.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Sounds like someone should send him a pin:

1719956423549.png

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

On a more serious note I'm super nervous on who they name GM
I actually wonder if the FA period starting a week after they lost the final by a goal didn't affect negotiations somewhat. Those emotions don't go away over the span of a week. Every one of the guys on the Oilers will desperately want another shot at the cup, so why not stay and try it out again in Edmonton?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yeh let’s not disappoint ourselves with this fantasy. If Sid is going anywhere, he’s going to Colorado. Sid and MacK are good buds, they went on a golf trip together just this summer. Likely MacK is already in Sids ear about coming out west.

Nice. That’s pretty cool. Haven’t seen that one around actually.

I see the Glen Sather tribute DVD around though a lot. And in new, unopened condition lol.
It didn't arrive sealed. This is what we received.

I don't think they made more than a handful. A few dozen maybe? My sister was quite convincing back then. It was kind of before that sort of stuff became popular.

Here it is. I use the learned helplessness technique when dealing with computers so once my genius friend pops over on Thursday I will download it for all to see. @Behind Enemy Lines

Attachments

• coffey cd.JPEG
    coffey cd.JPEG
    425.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
I'd argue Perry was an overpay, relative to what he showed in the playoffs. He should have been league min at best but I guess they liked what he demonstrated in terms of professionalism in the room and on the ice, regarding his time and being sat at times. He was allegedly always ready to go and would skate in pre-game even if he knew he wasn't in, that whole quote about accepting your role whatever was asked of you and leaving ego out of it, etc.

Still don't think all that was worth the extra but they brought him back so..
And the hockey moms loved him. LOL

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

If we had won the Cup I probably wouldn’t care too much about this season tbh. They could finish last and I would’ve been fine (even excited about a lottery pick lol) with it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It didn't arrive sealed. This is what we received.

I don't think they made more than a handful. A few dozen maybe? My sister was quite convincing back then. It was kind of before that sort of stuff became popular.

Here it is. I use the learned helplessness technique when dealing with computers so once my genius friend pops over on Thursday I will download it for all to see.
Very interesting. I’ve never seen it around before. Might have only been given to alumni members or management. Pretty cool. I’d like to see it too.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad