Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Did anyone tell Jackson there is a salary cap?

-2.5 with Holloway & Broberg. Must be trading Ceci, or Katz gave him the greenlight to bury guys? not sure how that works...

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Wouldn't mind Jackson handling 29s new deal after seein what he has done today
I just don't think drai is gonna be in the mood for any kind of discount seeing how wrll he putb preformed the previous contract.

Hoping for 8 yests x 13 mill and ill consider that a discount.

Like people have mentioned ever one taking a discount , guess nurse missed that memo. And i really nurse. He is b just a little over paid. But by av few signings today not by much any more 😉

Honestly I think he might be more willing to take a paycut after watching 5+ guys take a paycut and actually using cap space effectively

We will see though

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
If Kane goes on LTIR for the year, I give JJ credit for convincing Evander/Milstein to do it as well. Being an agent, he probably has a better perspective of what players go through. Kane has had some gruesome injuries the last 2 years. It’s probably best for him to rest/have surgery and heal and not worry about a timeline.
A healthy kane for playoffs would be amazing too, him hurt did us no good

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If I had to make one criticism, it would be that I'm a little concerned about the size up front. That size can make a big difference in the playoffs.

Otherwise, I did not expect this level of productivity. I would have been happy with Arvidson replacing Henrique, and that's all I would have expected. I can't remember the last time the Oilers went into the next season and it was clear they'd improved their roster over the summer. This is even more impressive given that they lost game 7 of the SC final by one goal. They've got to be the favourites now. But I still sort of expect a surprise at the 2 RD ...

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Kane seems like the type that would be perfectly ok to take a year off on LTIR at full pay and then go all-in on his contract year.

Suits everyone really.
If anything Kane has been the type to try to gut out significant injuries the last couple years. One a prospectively fatal deep cut that effected his fine motor skills yet the band played on through it. And this year's sports hernia which the guy endured regular season and eventually finally required that he shutdown his season in the Cup Final.

Kane's a warrior. If anything, his desire to play and compete while compromised has far outweighed an easy way out of a couple significant injuries.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Did anyone tell Jackson there is a salary cap?

-2.5 with Holloway & Broberg. Must be trading Ceci, or Katz gave him the greenlight to bury guys? not sure how that works...
Basically, you can waive anybody and assign them to Bakersfield and thus not count 1.25M (its close to that figure, not sure about the 2024-25 stipulation) towards the cap. Obviously you could lose them on waivers. Edit--1.15 Million- 375K + league minimum of 775K

I think that upfront they would do that with Ryan if they had to. He's had a good run but he's getting close to the end of the line. Ditto for Perry.

Brown (on defense) could go down too.

Jackson knows spreadsheets and numbers. As a player agent he had to be pretty good at calculations that looked down the road. This is a skill that Holland lacked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oildrum

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I think he waited out the day to see what Jackson did to improve the Oilers. Saw those signings and basically said “This deal right here, this is the one I want to sign.”

Another solid character guy who values winning over a payday.

Was thinking about which player returning / new addition I'm most excited for. I think it's Rico, and this is a big reason why. Dude was clutch in the Finals, and I think he will be unstoppable this year

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Imagine this would be professional negotiations with both parties trained and experienced with contract negotiations. But not done within a bubble in that an inefficient market driven by emotion and prospectively other suiters drive up pricing. Jackson I imagine has his walkaway point in all discussions (especially with very thin cap bucks to spend).

I don't think Jackson is prioritizing one function over another. He was hired to build out an organizational strategic vision which I fully believed mapped out short-term contingency planning (aka Oilers play until end of June) with known time drive activities (NHL Draft June 28-29; Free Agency begins July 1; Oilers need a new GM). We saw them move into round 1 at the Draft so he's driving key decisions with functional managers around him.

He's been pretty clear and their cap situation dictates alot of it. Focus on returning support pieces for their Game 7 Cup Final Team and augment around the edges in free agency.

But this is the summer of Jeff Jackson where we firmly see the next phase of this team take shape.

• Love
Reactions: Oilhawks

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We didn't even try him with Knobloch D system. He was no worse than Skinner under Woody and woodys system.

He can rebound easily next year..
Campbell didn’t get as fair a shake here as many think. I agree that he likely would have been better the second half of the season under Knoblach’s version of the team. That said, his contract wasn’t going to work for this team unless he played like an elite goalie or at the very least played like the Oilers best goalie and he never did the entire time he was here. That was a bad contract that never needed to be offered with the term that was given and ultimately that’s what cost him his job here. It sounds pretty obvious to say that was likely Holland’s biggest mistake here but what makes it worse was how it could have been avoided by just playing Skinner more the previous season to see if he was ready yet. Both Smith and Koskinen had struggled for extended periods so the opportunity was there. The team knew they were moving on from Koskinen long before that season ended and Smith being on his last legs would be looking for at least 1 goalie. Knowing what they had in Skinner wouldn’t have made them so desperate for a goalie that they needed to offer Campbell five years and likely could have gotten away with 2 or 3 and that would have made the situation here much more workable. That was an organizational failure they paid a heavy price for.

I am looking forward to seeing how Campbell plays for the Wings. I think he’s a good guy and I’ll be rooting for him.

Edit: I just wanted to mention that it’s taken me over an hour to type out this post on my iPad. This site functioned like garbage all day long today. It was hard enough just trying to read posts, let alone to actually contribute anything. I commend those that did.

Reactions: jukon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad