Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The Stecher signing really has me thinking.... The Oilers have 8 NHL level Dmen now with the Brown and Stecher signings and with just Vinny out the door. The Brown contract tells me he's the #7 and while the Stecher contract is more like an AHL contract, I wonder if JJ sees him as a viable Ceci replacement and uses the freed up money to sign Henrique.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Holloway-McLeod-Perry

My question is....where does Kane fit? I think they need Kane's toughness in the lineup although they did pretty well in the Florida series without him against arguably the toughest team in the league but that's a big ticket number and they could use that freed up money to add a legit D upgrade, Carrier is still out there right? This is some galaxy brain shit and I'd rather they keep Kane but there's a world where they can trade Kane and Ceci and add Henrique and Carrier. JJ got me thinking impure thoughts haha
Both of the Carrier's were signed today.

Reactions: McBooya42

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
The Stecher signing really has me thinking.... The Oilers have 8 NHL level Dmen now with the Brown and Stecher signings and with just Vinny out the door. The Brown contract tells me he's the #7 and while the Stecher contract is more like an AHL contract, I wonder if JJ sees him as a viable Ceci replacement and uses the freed up money to sign Henrique.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Holloway-McLeod-Perry

My question is....where does Kane fit? I think they need Kane's toughness in the lineup although they did pretty well in the Florida series without him against arguably the toughest team in the league but that's a big ticket number and they could use that freed up money to add a legit D upgrade, Carrier is still out there right? This is some galaxy brain shit and I'd rather they keep Kane but there's a world where they can trade Kane and Ceci and add Henrique and Carrier. JJ got me thinking impure thoughts haha
Carrier already re-signed.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I do wonder what the long term plan is, to entice Draisaitl / McDavid to re-sign. These are all short term deals, and Draisaitl is under contract for one more season. Please don't just walk him to UFA status and let him go for nothing.

I'd say that's not an issue at all for them. They knew they needed to get Draisaitl TRUE Top 6 wingers, which they did in Arvidsson and Skinner, and that right there shows they want to help our 2 big guys with scoring on 5v5. With Skinner now on the Oilers, we have 4 of the Top 45 guys that scored the highest 5v5 goals in the NHL the last 3 years total. That should dramatically increase the goal scoring outside of the Special Teams. And both McDavid and Draisaitl know that there will be short term deals here and there, and if one of them gains chemistry with any of them, I bet you they will try to make it work for them. Either way, I highly doubt both will leave.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Both of the Carrier's were signed today.
Oh, I see now. 3 years $11.25m. That's quite a good contract for Nashville. He's getting paid less than Edmundson which is beyond silly.

I still think the Oilers could deal Ceci and slot Stecher into that spot with Brown as the 7.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Do you mean like the real police……because thats who have brought charges on the players.

But sure keep fighting your fight.
From the start I said let the courts decide who is innocent or guilty. Then go from there.
The accused players fate shouldn't be decided by some social justice warriors from the sanctuary of their couch.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I don't know if Rishaug is just throwing this out there but he said Mathieu Darche is an option as GM

giphy.gif

YES PLEASE

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I'd say that's not an issue at all for them. They knew they needed to get Draisaitl TRUE Top 6 wingers, which they did in Arvidsson and Skinner, and that right there shows they want to help our 2 big guys with scoring on 5v5. With Skinner now on the Oilers, we have 4 of the Top 45 guys that scored the highest 5v5 goals in the NHL the last 3 years total. That should dramatically increase the goal scoring outside of the Special Teams. And both McDavid and Draisaitl know that there will be short term deals here and there, and if one of them gains chemistry with any of them, I bet you they will try to make it work for them. Either way, I highly doubt both will leave.
Yeah but again, if the plan is to open the vault and max these two out you have to provide them with the wingers to play with. Maybe just my fears coming into play.. at some point we'll lose both. We saw what happend to CGY when they let their guys go to UFA with no real plan and they didn't get a damn thing, which is a) horrific asset management and b) a very possible scenario if these guys don't like what they see in terms of roster construction.

I wouldn't normally be wringing hands about this but Draisaitl is hitting UFA status after this next season so.. just not sure what the idea is going forward.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
This was a good day of signings and I don't want to crap in anyone's cornflakes, but our most glaring need is still unaddressed our 2nd pair is going to continue to buckle under forecheck pressure and be inadequate at transitioning the puck to our improved forward group.

Like I'm a huge fan of upgrading Foegele to Arvidsson and Skinner is a lot of offensive pop at a very reasonable price, but nothing will impact this roster as much as getting that 2nd pair in order.

Reactions: MessierII

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
This was a good day of signings and I don't want to crap in anyone's cornflakes, but our most glaring need is still unaddressed our 2nd pair is going to continue to buckle under forecheck pressure and be inadequate at transitioning the puck to our improved forward group.

Like I'm a huge fan of upgrading Foegele to Arvidsson and Skinner is a lot of offensive pop at a very reasonable price, but nothing will impact this roster as much as getting that 2nd pair in order.
If Broberg keeps his play on the RD to how he did in the playoffs for the upcoming season, we are f***ing laughing. That top 4 may become beast mode if Nurse decides to play hockey

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Yeh one more move in relation to 2nd Pair would really put this over the top. Off-seasons not over though. Lots of time.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad