Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bowman is horrific optics. But I think with JJ wanting to keep Kenny around, he values the connections an experienced GM can bring.

Need someone that’s been around and has dealt with GMs in this League already.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Signings starting to come in now. Not feeling great about the Oilers retaining more than 1 of their guys if they're hitting the market. Brown is the one I expect to re-sign regardless mainly because he's already getting his bonus money.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Signings starting to come in now. Not feeling great about the Oilers retaining more than 1 of their guys if they're hitting the market. Brown is the one I expect to re-sign regardless mainly because he's already getting his bonus money.
I don't see why that means Brown's staying here at all.

It's actually a good reason for him to leave.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
You are really rattled JJ isn’t playing NHL 24 on his PS5 and can rebuild the team before his mom calls him down for lunch.

Re-signing UFAs isn't rocket appliances

Don't talk a big game if you can't back it up

Holland would have been crucified here if he stated the same and sat on his hands until their rights expired

Just givin' ol' JJ the same courtesy

Edit: In all seriousness, it is what it is. Just amused that there was so much talk about getting UFAs re-signed and it's been zippo so far outside Picks. Also don't think the excuse that he "hasn't had enough time" is reasonable. He knew after game 6's win that it was going to be tight.

Last edited:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Carolina spent so much for Jake at the TDL. Now No tax Tampa just swoops in and steals him. The tax advantage is huge in this League.
Carolina isn't that desirable a team. I suspect most players in the NHL would choose the much more successful Tbay over small market Carolina and it's meddling owner if given the option, regardless of the tax breaks.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Carolina isn't that desirable a team. I suspect most players in the NHL would choose the much more successful Tbay over small market Carolina and it's meddling owner if given the option, regardless of the tax breaks.
Canes have good for a long while now though and are a contender. More of a contender than regressed Tbay. We'll never know for sure, but it could be the taxes.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Bowman is horrific optics. But I think with JJ wanting to keep Kenny around, he values the connections an experienced GM can bring.

Need someone that’s been around and has dealt with GMs in this League already.
But one has to wonder if players would be happy dealing with Bowman. Honestly, this would be a very very disappointing hire for me.

Reactions: Faelko and McDrai

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
But one has to wonder if players would be happy dealing with Bowman. Honestly, this would be a very very disappointing hire for me.
Yeh that's a factor. Just to be clear though, I'm not advocating for Bowman, just saying he fits the type that JJ said he's looking for.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't see why that means Brown's stayso he's ing here at all.

It's actually a good reason for him to leave.

Why would him getting paid $3m+ of bonus money from the Oilers mean he's more likely to leave? That doesn't make sense.
My point is that he's already getting the bonus money so he'd be more likely to take a discounted deal because he already has $3m+ in the pocket.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I'd guess whatever GM we get would be focused on advanced stats/ analytics. That was something that Holland seemed quite dismissive of.

I'd say Holland's attitude of buying the person kind of killed us with the Campbell deal, but maybe explains why he'd go extra hard after Hyman too.
Hyman and Ekholm were two guys Holland Jr pushed for. He is into analytics. On Hyman, Holland Jr on Stauffer said that he had great underlying metrics and felt he was about to pop. Stauffer has said numerous times that Holland Jr was pushing HARD for Hyman

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I would honestly be shocked if Brown left. He's good friends with Luke Gazdic and 97. And he loves the fan support and the group of guys in the locker room.

I wouldn’t. He took $4m last year when he wasn’t really close to a $4m player coming off a major injury. Maybe he just wants to be paid again.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
If JJ hires Bowman while losing out on all of our pending UFAs in the process he will automatically be worse than Tambo/MacT/Chiarelli in my eyes

If JJ hires Bowman, he will automatically be worse than Tambo/ MacT/ Chiarelli/ Holland in my eyes

Reactions: McDrai

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2