Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Did you read what I was replying to? 5 Mins was saying that Jackson doesn't have much time to get things done today

If Jackson made a big claim about signing all of the UFAs. If they can't get it done because they don't have the time and they walk, that's a massive f*** up.
I misread it lol sorry

Reactions: Oilhawks

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Almost tragic how bad the Campbell signing worked out for the Oilers, lol. Guess someone will take him on the cheap for goalie depth, good luck to him.
It's not that bad.

If we can get the pick of the buyouts/UFA class at reasonable prices we'll come out ahead of the game.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Hopefully we can re-sign a couple of our UFAs before tomorrow. Once other teams start calling it could be significantly more difficult to re-sign some of our guys

Even if we could just get Janmark and Brown extended, you only really need to get a 3C, and otherwise you’re just looking for guys who can provide value in the depth roles and maybe snag an upgrade on Ceci if the right deal is there. You go into free agency with

Hyman - McDavid - Nuge
Holloway - Draisaitl - Kane
Janmark - XXXX - Brown
XXXX - McLeod - Ryan

Ekholm - Bouch
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Broberg

Skinner
Pickard

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The Oilers have $13m in cap space with no big contract re-signings unless they bring Henrique back, plus there's also the rumors of them being in on top 6 forwards. That "salary in salary out" thing doesn't apply this offseason.
And if we are able to move Ceci, we have more

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Ya I don't hate Campbell despite how awful this situation turned out.

Maybe I would if I felt like it was a matter of effort or commitment, but it seems like this was a matter of a good guy and teammate who, while talented, can't handle the pressure of being asked to be "the guy" for a team with expectations.

The contract was a misatke, yes, but it was just one mistake in a long line of mistakes that led the Oilers to need to pick a goaltender to overpay as a FA that year.
I’m still pissed at Holland for re-signing Smith (don’t get me wrong, I liked Smith) two days before free agency when the UFA goalie crop was decent. Plenty of solid options available and took the easy way out.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Jack Campbell story is finally over.

Wow, did that story suck ass. What a blunder by Holland. Completely avoidable too. Didn’t like that signing from the very beginning. Did not like what I saw of Jack before we signed him.

I always said we should go for a cheap goalie carousel. So I guess we are going with that by necessity now anyways. Stu + Picks @ 3.6M is that. Add 1.1M dead cap from Jack and we have 4.7M invested in goaltending. At worst in year 3 Jack adds 2.6M dead cap for a total of 6.2M invested in goaltending. Not too bad at the end of the day.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The Oilers have $13m in cap space with no big contract re-signings unless they bring Henrique back, plus there's also the rumors of them being in on top 6 forwards. That "salary in salary out" thing doesn't apply this offseason.
13M with a roster of 14 players though. If we go on the assumption they want to go with the standard 23 man roster, and go on the low end and assume we can sign 8 of the players for an average of 1.25M, that leaves 3M, which doesn't get you much in the way of top 6 forwards these days.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Jackson said he wouldn't be active in the UFA market so he better not sit on his hands with our UFA's or I'll be massively disappointed. He better not think standing pat is the best strategy. We need at minimum a Ceci upgrade and bottom 6 upgrades while keeping our UFA's.
He never said that. He said he doesn't see them signing any big ticket items (like Stamkos for example). He also said he doesnt want to stand pat and changes will be made. Listen to his interview on Oilers Now

PSA in advance of tomorrow:

Jake DeBrusk had less goals than Warren Foegele this season.
But has hit 20 goals 4 times. 25+ twice and is a great playoff performer. I'd sign him

Reactions: McHelpus

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Even if Campbell was decent a 5 year deal is idiotic. Holland has Skinner's improvement to thank for the Cup run.

His goalie moves were a reach going back to Smith

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I still see brown and Janmark back. With Holloway most likely coming back that rounds out the top 9.

Holloway and broberg will be looking to play similar to playoffs. Sign some guys who are cup chasing or low risk medium reward and that settles the roster. Look for upgrades at the deadline

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
PSA in advance of tomorrow:

Jake DeBrusk had less goals than Warren Foegele this season.

Foegele also got to spend a good chunk of the year in the Oilers top six. I think what we saw from him this season is his ceiling, much like Yamamoto a couple of years ago who produced similarly. DeBrusk had a down year by his standards but has shown he can score 25+ goals multiple times.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Does Campbell get traded or waived for purpose of a buyout tomorrow? Does Nurse-Ceci get a 4th year together to make sure that all Oilers fans have gray hair regardless of their age or does JJ have mercy on our souls and hair color and move out at least one of them? Does Kane get moved?
I think they will be making roster changes: I guess Campbell buyout, Foegele, Brown, Desharnais, Perry not re-signed. Maybe they re-sign Janmark and Henrique. Ceci could be a candidate for a trade as Broberg makes him dispensible. Probably a cheap veteran d-man is acquired in free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad