Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Sucks we couldn't trade Campbell when other teams can find ways to offload bad contracts.

I got a feeling the other teams wanted a 1st or Broberg to trade for Campbell, and we just don't have the assets to trade off for that. Yes, we have a dead cap until 2030, but thankfully, the cap is rising, and that won't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I got a feeling the other teams wanted a 1st or Broberg to trade for Campbell, and we just don't have the assets to trade off for that. Yes, we have a dead cap until 2030, but thankfully, the cap is rising, and that won't matter much in the grand scheme of things.
This is the last remaining year of the Neal buyout as well, so that comes off the books next offseason.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Sucks we couldn't trade Campbell when other teams can find ways to offload bad contracts.
It would have been the preferable option but even if you retained 50% of the 5M salary it would still be an unattractive scenario for rival GMs. 2.5M (with 50% retention) for a goalie who is the wrong side of 30 and no longer playing in the NHL. Considering that most teams are struggling with their own cap issues then it was really a non-starter.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
This is the last remaining year of the Neal buyout as well, so that comes off the books next offseason.

Yep. I'm not worried about it. We've had dead cap basically since 2015 every year, and we still managed to be competitive. But the trick here on out is to not do stupid signings that will result in another bad buyout.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I guess we have about $12.9 million in cap after this buyout to sign 7 forwards and 2 D including RFA's Holloway and Broberg.
I think they could sign Brown, Janmark, Holloway, Broberg, and VD for about $6M. They are in a decent position right now to add more impact players, especially if they move Ceci.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
How much do you want to bet he signs with the leafs? What an absolute bum.
He’ll sign with LA

The point is you absolutely buy him out, without question. It absolutely the right move.

Another buy-low candidate

Trading him was the right move- even with retention. Buy out is last resort. Now they have to figure out how to trade Nurse to sign Bouchard without retention

• Haha
Reactions: McHelpus

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
He’ll sign with LA

Trading him was the right move- even with retention. Buy out is last resort. Now they have to figure out how to trade Nurse to sign Bouchard without retention

Why would you trade Campbell with retention? So you put 2.5M of dead cap over the next 3 years and then still have to pay to get rid of his remaining 7.5M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad