Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Oilers to sign Dermott, assign Philp, waive J. Brown, Caggiula, Lavoie, Rodrigue to minors.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Question is if the $125k extra in cap hit (assuming Dermott signed league min) would be worth it for what is going to be the #7 guy. He’s not going to play ahead of Kulak and the fact he’s a LD precludes him from playing over Stetcher does it not?
Tough to say. If he's purely a #7D, probably not, but I'd feel a lot better with Brannstrom playing up the lineup if there's injuries.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Its hard to move the puck when you are fishing it out of the back of your own net, hence Dermott has more value. Just because passing is his best asset does not mean its better than others. His puck skills are less than Ceci's (3X the turnovers, less assists).

Dermott is really not my favorite player at all, but at least he can play some tougher minutes and does not turn the puck over.
I read your last post. The numbers just don't support it on the larger scale. He was one of Ottawa's better transition defenders last season and he's come out the past two seasons in the green there.

This team needs better transition. I don't think anyone would argue that. And from all the material that's out there, he'd help in that regard.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Thank god he's been replaced with someone who's priority is winning a Stanley Cup.
Not sure the give a shit meter can be measured between an organization's management group past or present. But critical factor early in this new tenure is cat turd decisions can be buried in the desert at no precious cap cost (technically not desert but close to the Sierra Nevada). Brown Down was always going to be a viable option.

Starting point is Game 7 Stanley Cup Final. Good to look into the future and leave the past successes and failures there.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You realize Brannstrom had the lowest GA/60 on the Sens D last year, right?
I'd like to see some video of him. Because there's been nowhere for him to hide on that roster. Partners like JBD and Hamonic weren't doing him any favors.

From what I read, he's getting better at avoiding getting blown up as a smaller defender.

Question is if the $125k extra in cap hit (assuming Dermott signed league min) would be worth it for what is going to be the #7 guy. He’s not going to play ahead of Kulak and the fact he’s a LD precludes him from playing over Stetcher does it not?
I do remember him playing some RD in Ottawa when he played against us. It would be a bit of a negative losing a bit of that space, but odds are we're going to be needing some cap gymnastics at the deadline and likely along the way anyways.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Brannstrom is not that physical and that is the biggest issue the oilers have right now, In my opinion. I do find it amusing Avs signed him in the off season only to trade him before the season starts

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I remember how hyped up Brannstrom was when he started playing. Amazing how much some guys just fall.

Taking a quick look at some of the players on waivers today. There are a few "why can he not make it" players.

Goalie Devin Cooley on waivers.

So far he has only been a back up with both the AHL and ECHL. We have 3 guys on the farm already fighting for ice time in net

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Both were scratched a chunk during the playoffs. Ryan got manhandled the deeper we went
I like Ryan and what he's done for his career but we don't need that type of player in our bottom 6. We need speed and size with upside signed cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad