Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Edmonton Reclaim Former Oiler Raphael Lavoie via Waivers

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
If the Oilers would have signed Holloway earlier, which I think was possible, a lot could have been avoided.

That is on Holland.
I believe they tried. Holloway and his agent are the one's who went to the Oilers and said "oh we signed this offer sheet from the Blues for this much, so what did you want to offer"? They then put on the surprised pikachu face when "they were weird about it".

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If they're worried about losing Lavoie again(probably should be) they can just waive one of Stetcher or Dermott instead.

Nobody is claiming either of those guys.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You can waive him or someone else at any time. Having him on the roster for a couple weeks doesn't lose you much cap space.
True its not much but it gets much harder to sneak a guy thru waivers as the season goes. Players get injured, they want guys to cover injuries. If a team wanted Lavoie today, a few will want him in a few weeks.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If they're worried about losing Lavoie again(probably should be) they can just waive one of Stetcher or Dermott instead.

They don't even really need to. Without Lavoie the Oilers were set to be able to accrue 4.8M by the deadline which with 50% retention is a 9.6M cap hit player. They really don't need that much space to find a good top 4D, and depending on Kane they might be able to add a hell of a lot more if he's not going to be ready until playoffs.

Really doesn't hurt them that much holding on to Lavoie for a few weeks before deciding.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Keep all of them up.

Now’s the time to find out what you have in him. It’s basically forcing the Oilers hand in that regard.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Interesting how teams weaponize this cap space issue. Clearly some teams are already looking down the road towards the trade deadline.

If Lavoie had been waived by the Sharks or any other team that is not expected to be in contention then I wonder if this mind game with Lavoie would be in play.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
True its not much but it gets much harder to sneak a guy thru waivers as the season goes. Players get injured, they want guys to cover injuries. If a team wanted Lavoie today, a few will want him in a few weeks.
I don’t think a team actually wanted him they just knew by putting in a claim we are forced to keep him up or waive him again

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
True, but it's also not a bad bet to keep him around in case someone gets injured, or if they want to see how much Ryan/Perry have left in the tank. Stetcher/Dermott are other potential waiver candidates as well.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
If Holloway wanted to play for the oilers he would have signed.
I could understand Broberg being sour. But Holloway is simply an asshole. Drafted only a couple of years ago. Given every opportunity in the world on an elite team, went to the Stanley cup final. you'd think a one or two-year bridge deal would do. No, he wanted the money right away.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I could understand Broberg being sour. But Holloway is simply an asshole. Drafted only a couple of years ago. Given every opportunity in the world on an elite team, went to the Stanley cup final. you'd think a one or two-year bridge deal would do. No, he wanted the money right away.
Agreed Holloway should have shut his mouth and signed a deal instead of colliding with Brobeg and his agent. With the inevitable injury to one of Arvidsson or Skinner he would have been given lots of time in the top 6

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Don’t be so sure it seems teams are colluding to limit our possible deadline acquisition to me

Nobody is adding ~800k to their payroll and giving up a roster spot for a player they don't want just to annoy us.

They don't even really need to. Without Lavoie the Oilers were set to be able to accrue 4.8M by the deadline which with 50% retention is a 9.6M cap hit player. They really don't need that much space to find a good top 4D, and depending on Kane they might be able to add a hell of a lot more if he's not going to be ready until playoffs.

Really doesn't hurt them that much holding on to Lavoie for a few weeks before deciding.

There's also no real reason not to accrue as much space as possible if you're reasonably confident you can get a contract through waivers. In the case of older journeymen #6 defensemen the team really should be.

You can recall a player two weeks from now just as easily as you can send them down 2 weeks from now.

Just waive perry but don’t assign him to the AHL. Keep him in the room, but bury his cap hit.

TBH I think if you waive Perry there is a close to zero percent chance he makes it past Anaheim.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Actually huge question, impossible for them to claim them. Rangers, Stars, Hurricanes, Jets, Panthers, Canucks, Bruins, Avalanche were behind us in the standings. Only teams that would have the cap hit to add Lavoie is the Hurricanes, the Avs and the Stars.;
Oh you misunderstand. I don't think they seriously put in a claim, I'm saying they put in a petty f*** with the Oilers claim.

The Nucks are aware both that the Oilers would put a claim in and that their claim would both f*** the Oilers and not go through because they're lower on priority.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Nobody is adding ~800k to their payroll and giving up a roster spot for a player they don't want just to annoy us.

There's also no real reason not to accrue as much space as possible if you're reasonably confident you can get a contract through waivers. In the case of older journeymen #6 defensemen the team really should be.

You can recall a player two weeks from now just as easily as you can send them down 2 weeks from now.

TBH I think if you waive Perry there is a close to zero percent chance he makes it past Anaheim.

See normally I would agree with you but if you look at everything that has happened this past summer there seems to be some funny business going on with regards to the Oilers. Between offer sheets and waiver claims things look a little fishy to me.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
How does it work?
It means we accrue cap space for the deadline and if Kane doesn't return in season they can use up all of his cap hit on LTIR minus 53$ or whatever the amount was. Basically they have set up a situation where we can save up 4.8M cap by the deadline because cap space accrues daily, but if they were under the cap on roster submission day they would have lost any of that extra cap from Kane's LTIR eligibility or at least that's my understanding.

Basically if they know Kane won't return until playoffs they will have 4.8M of accrued space and 5.125mil (minus $53) worth of LTIR to spend at the trade deadline.

If anyone smarter than me understands this better and wants to correct my interpretation then please do.

Reactions: tiger_80

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
See normally I would agree with you but if you look at everything that has happened this past summer there seems to be some funny business going on with regards to the Oilers. Between offer sheets and waiver claims things look a little fishy to me.
I would not put it past some GMs. Those guys are sharks. If they can turn Stone into shit to gain an advantage, what's stopping them from screwing with the Oilers.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
True, but it's also not a bad bet to keep him around in case someone gets injured, or if they want to see how much Ryan/Perry have left in the tank. Stetcher/Dermott are other potential waiver candidates as well.
This is the smart thing to do which means they won't do it.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad