Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Edmonton Reclaim Former Oiler Raphael Lavoie via Waivers

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean Daccord got $25 million today.

What the hell is Skinner gonna ask for in 2026?

I'm going to be honest, I don't think he's going to be here past his current contract. Joey Daccord also had way better numbers than Skinner last year (.916 save percentage for Daccord on a bad team vs .905 for Skinner on a good team).

rookie-numbers.gif

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They did try in season and Holloway wanted to wait.

If they didn't have the stupid Brown bonus he would've been signed in June with Broberg.

The Oilers plan was to basically force Hollway and Broberg to both get "McLeod-ed" (McLeod was forced to take like 1 mill contract a couple of years ago late in the off-season).

You also need to understand when you make a Finals, all of the sudden all your role players are suddenly more valuable to other GMs.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Thought Tanev said no as well

It's on Jackson as well. He's the one that elected to burn up cap space before taking care of his own players
This is not new. McLeod dealt with that before as an RFA and signed a reasonable deal. Then he got his raise. Was unable to stake a claim to 3C and was dealt.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Thought Tanev said no as well

It's on Jackson as well. He's the one that elected to burn up cap space before taking care of his own players

"Burning up cap space" on two players that actually have a track record of contributing, and will be a massive upgrade on the revolving door of shitty second line wingers that caused us problems the entire year last year. Not to mention the space that was "burned" on an anchor 3rd line C that can contribute around 20 goals.

I would much, much, much rather "burn cap space" on two players that you can probably set a clock to contributing 50 goals between them than two band aids that haven't established themselves at all yet.

Reactions: Oilhawks and North

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
"Burning up cap space" on two players that actually have a track record of contributing, and will be a massive upgrade on the revolving door of shitty second line wingers that caused us problems the entire year last year. Not to mention the space that was "burned" on an anchor 3rd line C that can contribute around 20 goals.

I would much, much, much rather "burn cap space" on two players that you can probably set a clock to contributing 50 goals between them than two band aids that haven't established themselves at all yet.
I get it I know exactly what he was doing, but if you are going to blame Holland, Jackson really was the final nail in the coffin for their careers here.

He could've dealt them or choose to sign them, he didn't.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If they didn't have the stupid Brown bonus he would've been signed in June with Broberg.

The Oilers plan was to basically force Hollway and Broberg to both get "McLeod-ed" (McLeod was forced to take like 1 mill contract a couple of years ago late in the off-season).

You also need to understand when you make a Finals, all of the sudden all your role players are suddenly more valuable to other GMs.
This is correct.

See also: overpaying Nurse, buying out Neal, buying out Campbell. Death by a thousand cuts, as the Pringles mascot said.

They tried to force them to take pennies on the dollar deals and it blew up in their faces.

Frankly both Holland and JJ wear this egg on their face.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is correct.

See also: overpaying Nurse, buying out Neal, buying out Campbell. Death by a thousand cuts, as the Pringles mascot said.

They tried to force them to take pennies on the dollar deals and it blew up in their faces.

Frankly both Holland and JJ wear this egg on their face.

Didn't Holland essentially bridge Nurse so he could overpay Zack Kassian too to play like 5 good games for the Oilers after that?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

So 4.8 accrued at the deadline, but really that could be as much as 9+ million in players if the team sending the player out retains 50% (which generally happens a lot at the deadline).

Not terribly hard to see why the Oilers wanted to have this flexibility.

If Kane is a goner till the playoffs too, they're going to have a shit ton of cap room at the deadline.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Imagine being mad about the team making these signings.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So 4.8 accrued at the deadline, but really that could be as much as 9+ million in players if the team sending the player out retains 50% (which generally happens a lot at the deadline).

Not terribly hard to see why the Oilers wanted to have this flexibility.

If Kane is a goner till the playoffs too, they're going to have a shit ton of cap room at the deadline.
Totally, it will allow them tremendous flexibility, the hard part will be Kane coming back or "that guy" become available before the deadline.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Totally, it will allow them tremendous flexibility, the hard part will be Kane coming back or "that guy" become available before the deadline.
When it comes to “that guy” they need to be willing to pay a big price imo. 2 1sts, maybe extras. If that’s what it takes, do it. Nobody is missing Bourgault or Schaefer, get a real player and win this thing.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
They did try in season and Holloway wanted to wait.
Exactly. I sum this up as Holloway doing a dumb get paid more now move that blew up in his face, while Broberg had his own agenda the whole time. We can blame the Oilers Management all we want, but if they wouldn't re-sign when we tried to do it, how is that the Managements fault? In the end, it's over and people who want to keep hashing it out should make their own thread or post in that other stupid thread where all the bitchy whiny people go to (forgot what it's called because I ignored it and 99% of the people there are ignored too by me so goes to show how irrelevant that thread is).

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I wonder if Vegas becomes a target to pick up a D man.

IMO they are ripe for a standings collapse. If that happens I wonder if they would consider moving on from a Hague or a Theodore (dream world) to clear some cap space on D and pick up some assets.

Theodore, Hague, and Pionk are targets of mine that currently belong to teams that are supposed to be playoff teams, but I think are just as likely to go the other direction.

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I'm going to be honest, I don't think he's going to be here past his current contract. Joey Daccord also had way better numbers than Skinner last year (.916 save percentage for Daccord on a bad team vs .905 for Skinner on a good team).

rookie-numbers.gif

Miko Koskinen was more proven when he got his contract on a worse team. That contract still sucked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad