Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Even if savoie turns into nothing it appears as if we lost nothing in that trade. McLeod looked like hot garbage against the devils. Same soft play and no brain.
But the Oilers lost speed! We sure did lose a lot of speed that doesn't accomplish much. I like McLeod's speed on the back check, but that was just about the only place I liked it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
On a 15th place team Stecher is passable. There are a lot of Stecher level players earning paychecks in the NHL. If you want to make it out of the Conference he is not an option.

Kulak has to go. Same reason as above. And I know we made it to the Finals with Kulak but that's luck when you make it that far with average defensemen. If we had someone better than a Kulak level player to put out on the ice in a game seven of a Stanley Cup Final the team skates away with a championship.
It's not like the planned layout for the Oilers is up for debate. The plan includes Kulak heading the third pairing

We have one hole and it's 2nd pair RD. We aren't putting Kane on LTIR because we want to accrue cap space, and the amount we are accruing by the deadline will match up to Dmen in the tier of Andersson, Murphy, Marino or whoever is available that we like. That's the one impact move we are making.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Bit of a misleading headline, as per usual, just going for the clicks. He's only saying what all of us are, that at some point this year we need to upgrade our D, not exactly a revelation.
Pretty much, and the same was true last year, but they still almost won the cup even without getting the defensive upgrade they desperately needed.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not like the planned layout for the Oilers is up for debate. The plan includes Kulak heading the third pairing

We have one hole and it's 2nd pair RD. We aren't putting Kane on LTIR because we want to accrue cap space, and the amount we are accruing by the deadline will match up to Dmen in the tier of Andersson, Murphy, Marino or whoever is available that we like. That's the one impact move we are making.
Pretty much. Kane will essentially be a deadline addition whether he returns in the season or the playoffs. A healthy Kane would be a massive upgrade in the playoffs over what he was able to provide last year for most of the playoffs. Maybe they look at adding one more depth or middle 6 forward, but Savoie is another potential late season add.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Then we won't win and it's as simple as that.

• Haha
Reactions: Senor Catface

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Then we won't win and it's as simple as that.
Is it that Kulak can't be on a winner or moreso that you have ideas for using his cap hit?

Part of the ideal planned scenario is that someone like Emberson grows in a top 4 role and then becomes a great #6 next to Kulak after the deadline, which will help Kulak be better

In the playoffs, he had to play with Desharnais, who couldn't cut it and had to be scratched, or playing with Broberg on his offside and not as good, or Kulak had to play on his own off side next to an injured Nurse, and Kulak wasn't good on his off side

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
With Brad Malone’s retirement, Bako needs some vet leadership in their locker room. Would have been nice to have Gagner for that role, but…..
About time Malone retired and now the younger prospects will get more Ice time reduce the other vets as well

Well, might as well fold the team I guess. It’s over.
The drama is huge with him

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
On the Canucks telecast last night they said McDavid told Kob he wanted to play the last 3 games to get off the ground running , he does not want a repeat of last seasons start

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Is it that Kulak can't be on a winner or moreso that you have ideas for using his cap hit?

Part of the ideal planned scenario is that someone like Emberson grows in a top 4 role and then becomes a great #6 next to Kulak after the deadline, which will help Kulak be better

In the playoffs, he had to play with Desharnais, who couldn't cut it and had to be scratched, or playing with Broberg on his offside and not as good, or Kulak had to play on his own off side next to an injured Nurse, and Kulak wasn't good on his off side
What leads you to believe Emberson can be a top 4 defenseman on this team anytime soon? Maybe in 3-5 years he could be something, and that's a long shot. He has 30 games of NHL experience and I don't see glimpses of anything special. Not in the player's reads or physical abilities.

Absolutely Kulak's money should go to someone better than Kulak, and at any position that's an upgrade to the team, but it needs to be defense because we have conspicuous holes on defense. And it certainly isn't simply one hole to fill.

I don't want Kulak on the Oilers defense because I don't think he's good enough to be on the Oilers defense. Plain and simple.
Well, might as well fold the team I guess. It’s over.
Lots of teams won't win the Cup. If they all folded the league would be done with.

The Oilers are good team that can't oust a Bettman team. It's highly unlikely we can oust a Bettman team. I wish more posters actually wanted to build a team that can oust a Bettman team. Because there are very few posters that seemingly want to accomplish that feat. Most would have Oilers sit on their hands and get ousted yet again. Realistically after this season the Oilers Cup window is closed with Draisaitl and Bouchard taking up at minimum 24M of the cap available. Nurse at 9.25M... paying Campbell 2.3M.

There is a palpable crowd on this forum that apparently will say anything to block the Edmonton Oilers from winning a Stanley Cup.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
What leads you to believe Emberson can be a top 4 defenseman on this team anytime soon? Maybe in 3-5 years he could be something, and that's a long shot. He has 30 games of NHL experience and I don't see glimpses of anything special. Not in the player's reads or physical abilities.

Absolutely Kulak's money should go to someone better than Kulak, and at any position that's an upgrade to the team, but it needs to be defense because we have conspicuous holes on defense. And it certainly isn't simply one hole to fill.

I don't want Kulak on the Oilers defense because I don't think he's good enough to be on the Oilers defense. Plain and simple.

Lots of teams won't win the Cup. If they all folded the league would be done with.

The Oilers are good team that can't oust a Bettman team. It's highly unlikely we can oust a Bettman team. I wish more posters actually wanted to build a team that can oust a Bettman team. Because there are very few posters that seemingly want to accomplish that feat. Most would have Oilers sit on their hands and get ousted yet again. Realistically after this season the Oilers Cup window is closed with Draisaitl and Bouchard taking up at minimum 24M of the cap available. Nurse at 9.25M... paying Campbell 2.3M.

There is a palpable crowd on this forum that apparently will say anything to block the Edmonton Oilers from winning a Stanley Cup.
Teams also don’t lose the cup before the first game of the season. Give your head a shake. You assume that they won’t make any additional moves to strengthen the D before or at the TDL. Cup window closed after this season….oh please tell us more. Actually don’t.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I disagree that the D is that terrible. It was one of the top in the league last year based on GA and points. The team went further last year because of the D, not in spite of it.

Its a step back, hopefully not terribly.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I doubt we claim anyone with Dermott likely to get a contract, but Brannstrom is a player I'd have a lot of interest in. Plays both sides, moves the puck quite well and seems to have a career trajectory very similar to Kris Russell's.
Brannstrom wants to play right (his off side), and is terrible at it. Skates rather slow and slow decision making.

Ottawa, with a horrific D notably on the RHD side, did not see to tender him a 2M QO. That should say everything you need to know.

All that said I saw him a number of times last year. The worst part is he really seems to understand the defensive part of the game, but has no strength or size. He just consistently was in the right place at the right time and was consistently knocked out of the way, bulldozed over, or just plain swatted away with impunity.

Almost a perfect clone of Chris Wideman. No thanks.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I did say that he (or one of the other candidates) could grow into the role, which implies he isn't good enough at the moment. I think Emberson can be as good as Ceci sooner rather than later and become a bottom pairing guy for a contender. So yes, of course I don't think Emberson should be out #4 in the playoffs, but could be "good enough" in the regular season.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Maybe at 50% retained.. he’ll be 35 next month with 3 years left on his deal. It would be cool adding a local guy who would probably want to push hard to win a Cup in his career (especially in his hometown)
Yeah all good points. When I saw he had 2 years left I assumed it counted this year. I doubt it'll work out.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
"if they had caproom they could find someone on waivers.. or make a trade."

1623739955568.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad