Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Shattenkirk and Schultz still haven't signed anywhere. These two must be good enough to be playing, right? Imo they are waiting for the right spot

I could see our team wanting to try our own guys as much as possible before signing anyone like those two, but to me it's looking like we bite the bullet and sign someone
I'm surprised that both didn't get a PTO with some team. Wasn;t Shattenkirk decent for the Bruins last year?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
gotcha...

The Oilers defense kind of stinks regardless of the waiver wire order or the bot algorithm utilized.

Emberson isn't the chosen one after all. He's a number 6 at best. Things look better if he's the number 7.
I don't disagree. Regardless of who the '#4' is, Darnell Nurse is the guy who needs to up his game this season to give that pair a fighting chance.

Troy Stecher in the meantime is probably out best option to play at least 18 minutes on a regular basis.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don't disagree. Regardless of who the '#4' is, Darnell Nurse is the guy who needs to up his game this season to give that pair a fighting chance.

Troy Stecher in the meantime is probably out best option to play at least 18 minutes on a regular basis.
If a number 6/7 is playing in the number 4 spot nothing will hide that.

If we head into the season with one good pairing expect teams to run that first pairing. It's inevitable. Then the team will be forced to use LTIR, losing the ability to accrue cap space for a deadline acquisition. Probably forced to trade for any defenseman available.

Then we have zero effective pairings. That's not a fighting chance, that's shooting fish in a barrel.

I've been saying the above for months.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bob did hint today that what they'd ideally like is a top 4 RHD with little term (not Rasmus Andersson) and said there are 3 or 4 in the NHL who are ready to move on from their teams.

He said this during rookie camp as well. I wonder if we do have our eyes set on someone if all else failed at camp (like right now)
Jokiharju
Murphy
Savard (ugh)
Rutta
TVR

That’s all I’ve got.

Reactions: McDoused

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm surprised that both didn't get a PTO with some team. Wasn;t Shattenkirk decent for the Bruins last year?
He seemed popular there but by the end he was just bottom pairing. But maybe with more of a path cleared to the #4 spot he might rise to the occasion. Same for Schultz. I'm not that convinced that they are better than Stecher but definitely have more experience. It would have been nice to try one.

Imo they want a deal but want to pick the spot. They probably have some standing offers from some bottom feeders

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
The term doesn't matter, he could play in the AHL for the next 3 years and keep the caphit buried.

With that said, it seemed like an odd signing at the time as if they were panicking after they knew Vinny was moving on. They could have easily just waited it out to sign a guy like Brown, hell even right now they could have just signed a guy like that to a PTO.
That's true. But the term shows they believed in the guy. They won't walk that back as quick as some on here think. Wait until he starts over Stetcher in game one.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
He seemed popular there but by the end he was just bottom pairing. But maybe with more of a path cleared to the #4 spot he might rise to the occasion. Same for Schultz. I'm not that convinced that they are better than Stecher but definitely have more experience. It would have been nice to try one.

Imo they want a deal but want to pick the spot. They probably have some standing offers from some bottom feeders
Why doesn't anyone question what Shattenkirk and Schultz are asking for? Barrie just got 1.25M but Shattenkirk and Schultz could be looking for more.

The Oilers have less than 1M available in cap space and that's running with what... a 21 man roster?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If a number 6/7 is playing in the number 4 spot nothing will hide that.

If we head into the season with one good pairing expect teams to run that first pairing. It's inevitable. Then the team will be forced to use LTIR, losing the ability to accrue cap space for a deadline acquisition. Probably forced to trade for any defenseman available.

Then we have zero effective pairings. That's not a fighting chance, that's shooting fish in a barrel.

I've been saying the above for months.
Losing Ceci this offseason doesn't mean two of our pairings immediately become ineffective. Desharnais was a loss, but his skillset is not impossible to replace. Meanwhile his partner is an above average #5, who would not be completely overwhelmed if he were required to handle a heavier workload for a time.

This is one of the top offenses in the league and is likely to remain so.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Losing Ceci this offseason doesn't mean two of our pairings immediately become ineffective. Desharnais was a loss, but his skillset is not impossible to replace. Meanwhile his partner is an above average #5, who would not be completely overwhelmed if he were required to handle a heavier workload for a time.

This is one of the top offenses in the league and is likely to remain so.
Who replaces Desharnais? You should expect a falloff. Why don't you expect a falloff? Without effective defense pairings the season will be a gong show.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
gotcha...

The Oilers defense kind of stinks regardless of the waiver wire order or the bot algorithm utilized.

Emberson isn't the chosen one after all. He's a number 6 at best. Things look better if he's the number 7.
Oilers are returning 4/6 defenders, including the top 3, from a team that came within a game of the cup. They have the ability to defend well as a team which helps cover for individual weaknesses and they pair it with a high powered offense and killer special teams.

Gonna be just fine with a roll call in that 4 spot while they let the trade market develop. They’re good enough to get by with what they have so management isn’t going to be foolish and rush anything. They’ll get into season and give themselves a chance to evaluate what they do have and evaluate what becomes available. All the while they’ll accrue cap.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Oilers are returning 4/6 defenders, including the top 3, from a team that came within a game of the cup. They have the ability to defend well as a team which helps cover for individual weaknesses and they pair it with a high powered offense and killer special teams.

Gonna be just fine with a roll call in that 4 spot while they let the trade market develop. They’re good enough to get by with what they have so management isn’t going to be foolish and rush anything. They’ll get into season and give themselves a chance to evaluate what they do have and evaluate what becomes available. All the while they’ll accrue cap.
You have the democratic right to be wrong.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Jokiharju
Murphy
Savard (ugh)
Rutta
TVR

That’s all I’ve got.
Hawks fan dropping in. It’s probably going to be Murphy. Stan absolutely loves him, traded Hjalmarsson for him and extended him. Murphy has to be sick of bad teams, and the Hawks will be very bad again this year. He's literally been in the playoffs once in his career due to Covid. Almost guaranteed he wants out.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The only person who’s wrong was you earlier when you didn’t even know how waivers worked.
You admitted to not knowing how waivers worked.. this is a truth.

We won't have to wait long to see how the defense, as it stands, handles the regular season. If they fumble you can watch it unravel.

Witness the media who pumped the Oilers as the cup favorites have a change of heart.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I think they’re gonna work with Emberson and really try and make a decent partner for Nurse out of him so he’ll probably get a good push in the first part of the season and they’ll let him work through some growing pains. If he really struggles then they’ll probably elevate Stetcher, or possibly try Kulak or Dermott. They’re good enough and have enough options to get by until they’re in a good position to upgrade via trade. Maybe a guy like Blankenberg might be worth a claim, just go full buck shot approach and see if someone cheap runs with the spot for 40 games.

I agree with your earlier sentiment that Brown should be on his way to Bako given his camp. I haven’t seen much pre season action except highlights but he looked horrific in everything I did see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad