Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This shit is just so exhausting. “Rules for thee and not for me”. Why bother having a CBA?

Rules on the fly are a Bettman specialty. He just makes shit up as he goes along that help Vegas and penalize the Oilers.

Holy shit, Connor!

This was from last nights preseason game.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
So can someone clarify things if I'm misunderstanding?

In order for Lehner to go LTIR he has to report to camp for evaluation. If a player refuses to report for camp, the contract can be terminated, alleviating the cap hit.

Lehner refused to report to camp giving Vegas grounds to terminate his contract and alleviate themselves of the cap hit.

Vegas instead chose to still pay Lehner his money instead of being completely washed of his contract as would normally happen upon contract termination anyways.

People are upset because Vegas is circumventing cap and gaming the system by still choosing to pay the salary of a contract that has basically been terminated by a player refusing to report to camp?

Am I missing something?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
McLeod was replaced with Henrique.
I know Henrique was here last year as a rental but we committed to him with 3rd line Centre money that McLeod would have otherwise taken. This is a big upgrade. Henrique can do everything better than McLeod except skate fast. Henrique has proven he can contribute points without being on Draisaitl's wing - McLeod has not been able to do that.​
Foeggle was replaced with Arvidsson
Arvidsson was given the 2nd line winger money, a higher price than Foeggle. Foeggle is a great energy third liner, but a guy who couldn't think the game or pass the puck effectively to play with Draisaitl. Don't think Foeggle hits 20 goals again, but think Arvidsson should out produce him.​
Kane was replaced with Skinner.
Until Kane returns from Long Term injurry, Skinner gets to play top six and provide some goal scoring. Something he has proven he can do.​
Holloway was replaced by _____.
By committee really. It could be Perry, it could be Lavoie, it could just be Brown/Janmark paying more minutes and having better seasons. Holloway was going to play 3rd to 4th line minutes here. I will miss him and will be a challenge to replace his potential, but we can easily replace his 6 goals.​
I'm on board with some of this. I never liked McLeod from day one and I had my "last straw moment" with Foegele a long time ago because he's inept at managing the puck at either blueline and it becomes difficult to win with players with that weakness in the NHL during the playoffs. Still they were both viable NHL players. Just because I didn't like either player doesn't mean we didn't significantly downgrade the bottom six.

Holloway was replaced with Podkolzin. I see Podkolzin as a downgrade from Holloway.

Ceci was replaced by Emberson. It's clear to me so far that Emberson is a downgrade from Ceci but I have hopes for Emberson because Emberson is a different "type" of defenseman. Different from Ceci, with different strengths and weaknesses and Emberson may be better utilized by the Edmonton Oilers. We will see. But Emberson isn't a top 4 option on a good team no less on a team expected to compete for a cup.

Who replaced Broberg?

The Oilers need to make some f***ing trades and they can't afford to wait until the deadline. Accumulating cap space for a deadline linchpin acquisition when the Oilers are the oldest team in the NHL, without a deep prospect pool with entry level contracts to fill gaps when players go down due to injury, while not using LTIR will simply not work in my estimation.

We have ~1M in free cap space running a short roster. We regained some draft capital with the meager compensation from the Broberg and Holloway offersheets... thanks NHL, for f***ing the Oilers again, dazzling sabotage maneuver.

If this franchise can't turn Kane's LTIR into something immediately the entire system is rigged against the Oilers. That's the way any practical thinker or rational observer should view this predicament.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

In order for Lehner to go LTIR he has to report to camp for evaluation. If a player refuses to report for camp, the contract can be terminated, alleviating the cap hit.

Lehner refused to report to camp giving Vegas grounds to terminate his contract and alleviate themselves of the cap hit.

Vegas instead chose to still pay Lehner his money instead of being completely washed of his contract as would normally happen upon contract termination anyways.

People are upset because Vegas is circumventing cap and gaming the system by still choosing to pay the salary of a contract that has basically been terminated by a player refusing to report to camp?

Am I missing something?
Sure, it's because it's Vegas cheating again. Sure didn't report blah blah blah. Makes for a nice story, but it's more of the same.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm on board with some of this. I never liked McLeod from day one and I had my "last straw moment" with Foegele a long time ago because he's inept at managing the puck at either blueline and it becomes difficult to win with players with that weakness in the NHL during the playoffs. Still they were both viable NHL players. Just because I didn't like either player doesn't mean we didn't significantly downgrade the bottom six.

Holloway was replaced with Podkolzin. I see Podkolzin as a downgrade from Holloway.

Ceci was replaced by Emberson. It's clear to me so far that Emberson is a downgrade from Ceci but I have hopes for Emberson because Emberson is a different "type" of defenseman. Different from Ceci, with different strengths and weaknesses and Emberson may be better utilized by the Edmonton Oilers. We will see. But Emberson isn't a top 4 option on a good team no less on a team expected to compete for a cup.

Who replaced Broberg?

The Oilers need to make some f***ing trades and they can't afford to wait until the deadline. Accumulating cap space for a deadline linchpin acquisition when the Oilers are the oldest team in the NHL, without a deep prospect pool with entry level contracts to fill gaps when players go down due to injury, while not using LTIR will simply not work in my estimation.

We have ~1M in free cap space running a short roster. We regained some draft capital with the meager compensation from the Broberg and Holloway offersheets... thanks NHL, for f***ing the Oilers again, dazzling sabotage maneuver.

If this franchise can't turn Kane's LTIR into something immediately the entire system is rigged against the Oilers. That's the way any practical thinker or rational observer should view this predicament.
Broberg wasn’t even in the lineup to start last year

Am I missing something?
You think the Vegas ownership is just giving away 5 million dollars out of the kindness of their heart, or did lehner have a legitimate grievance

Reactions: Faelko

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Am I missing something?

Nope. So just have players not report to camp but promise them they will still get paid. Same thing.

I’m still pissed about Duncan Kieth

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
So many doomers on this board constantly. My favourite is people acting like Foegele, McLeod, Holloway, Broberg and Ceci were somehow key pieces to this team's regular season success last year. More like the key whipping boys (most of which was deserved btw).
im not sure but i think there is a portion of people who are just negative by nature but i also think there are people who are "fans" of the team but actively like to pick one or 2 guys to crap on all season so in the event that player does struggle they can claim " i was right on the internet". i do think there is more of the latter than we think

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
McLeod was replaced with Henrique.
I know Henrique was here last year as a rental but we committed to him with 3rd line Centre money that McLeod would have otherwise taken. This is a big upgrade. Henrique can do everything better than McLeod except skate fast. Henrique has proven he can contribute points without being on Draisaitl's wing - McLeod has not been able to do that.​
Foeggle was replaced with Arvidsson
Arvidsson was given the 2nd line winger money, a higher price than Foeggle. Foeggle is a great energy third liner, but a guy who couldn't think the game or pass the puck effectively to play with Draisaitl. Don't think Foeggle hits 20 goals again, but think Arvidsson should out produce him.​
Kane was replaced with Skinner.
Until Kane returns from Long Term injurry, Skinner gets to play top six and provide some goal scoring. Something he has proven he can do.​
Holloway was replaced by _____.
By committee really. It could be Perry, it could be Lavoie, it could just be Brown/Janmark paying more minutes and having better seasons. Holloway was going to play 3rd to 4th line minutes here. I will miss him and will be a challenge to replace his potential, but we can easily replace his 6 goals.​
Mcleod and Foegele were usually riding the bench near the end of games when we were defending the lead and Kane wasn't really a factor all playoff due to injury. Holloway had some good moments during the playoffs but he wasn't trusted to be on the ice at the end of games as well. Our forward group is significantly better by replacing Mcleod/Foegele with Skinner/Arvidsson.

Am I missing something?
I know we all like to say how the league favors Vegas but this outcome actually favors Lehner.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011

Am I missing something?
Mostly optics, however I'm sure what's on the back of everyone's minds is

Did he really not report to camp? Was he under the impression that he didn't have to, like does carrey price still report to montreal camp every year?

Or is this just a way for lehner to get paid, and vegas to get out from under LTIR this year?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Mcleod and Foegele were usually riding the bench near the end of games when we were defending the lead and Kane wasn't really a factor all playoff due to injury. Holloway had some good moments during the playoffs but he wasn't trusted to be on the ice at the end of games as well. Our forward group is significantly better by replacing Mcleod/Foegele with Skinner/Arvidsson.

I know we all like to say how the league favors Vegas but this outcome actually favors Lehner.
Yeah, the knights being able to add a 6.7m player at the deadline cause no longer in LTIR, doesn’t help them at all

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

You think the Vegas ownership is just giving away 5 million dollars out of the kindness of their heart, or did lehner have a legitimate grievance
For accuracy sake, Broberg started and finished the season in Edmonton.

16:03 -2 in the infamous 8-1 beatdown in Van. I know I wasted alot of money to be there. Cup Final Game 7 14:37 0 in the team's biggest game.

Oil roster plans for this year were disrupted on August 12. No need to comment further about the situation or player. Only correcting the facts involved.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

Am I missing something?
So- the process is the player must show up to camp. An injured player will fail the physical and go on LTIR. If a player doesn't show up- his contract gets terminated. Vegas, somehow, managed to have Lehner not show up, have his cap removed- and still are paying him. The very fact he is gettimg paid should have him on their cap- but they are just not counting it. It would have been equivalent to the Oilers tell Jack Campbell not to show up for camp and the Oilers will still pay him his full salary.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

This is your contribution, saying Broberg didn't play meaningful games or was at the very least an option for the Oilers while on an entry level contract?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah, the knights being able to add a 6.7m player at the deadline cause no longer in LTIR, doesn’t help them at all
They had grounds to terminate Lehner's contract. We don't know the details but players still need to show up for medicals. I also wouldn't put it past Vegas if there was some backroom deal for Lehner to miss his medical to get this ball rolling.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Am I missing something?
Where’s a Philadelphia lawyer when you need one to help explain things???!!

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Sure, it's because it's Vegas cheating again. Sure didn't report blah blah blah. Makes for a nice story, but it's more of the same.
What do you mean?

Lehner isn't reporting for camp. If he was, he'd get the evaluation everyone knows he would and he would be placed on LTIR, alleviating Vegas of the cap hit anyways. He's toast.

I don't see what the "cheating" is.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

Holy shit, Connor!

That was insane. Every second word started with "F." I didn't think Connor was capable of that. He's probably sick and tired of losing by this point and years of frustration exploded.

I refuse to watch the handshakes or cup celebration personally. But this? Gave me chills.
Not sure if I'm ready to see the captain crying though.
It must have been a roller coaster of emotions for him this season.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Gary has been coddling the Vegas franchise ever since the purchase went through. I am quite convinced that the Vegas franchise was purchased with the understanding that Gary would do everything in his power to ensure success for Vegas as quickly as possible.

It started with the new rules for the expansion draft. The NHL created a scenario whereby Vegas could skip the steps previous expansion teams had to go through to build a potential winning team (steps that took years building through the draft) and just start in the League from day 1 with a playoff competitive team.
Vegas has been given preferential treatement ever since.
The Golden Knights are the NHL's golden child. Thats never going to change.

I cant stand that franchise for that reason,
Just change their name to Gary's Golden Knights

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad