Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I am all for giving Nurse and Emberson a shot.

But feels fairly obvious at this point, that the pairing should be

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stetcher
Kulak-Emberson

I mean if the team wants to play JBrown as the 7th then fine.

And if the team wants to give Dermott and a contract and send to the AHL then fine.

But if we end up waiving Stetcher or Emberson, I am going to be confused.

How the f*ck is this possible? I really hate the NHL sometimes.

If the Oilers did the same, we'd have to forfeit a pick to Calgary.
No full cap relief for Keith retiring, Lucic/Neal trade having us giving up a pick for a condition that was never met, Chiarelli/McLellan getting hired = us having to give up a pick. Absolute joke.

Dermott signing a contract doesn't automatically mean that he'll be on the big club IMO.

I'd rather him than that plug in Josh Brown.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The whole Josh Brown thing makes no sense, and it never made any sense. Three years was a weird term for a guy that you can't count on to make your team in year one, let alone year three. And it certainly seems like he's going to be on the opening day roster, regardless of how poorly he played during camp.

I haven't been following camp closely, but it certainly seems like Stetcher could be getting the short end of the stick here.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If the Oilers did the same, we'd have to forfeit a pick to Calgary.
No full cap relief for Keith retiring, Lucic/Neal trade having us giving up a pick for a condition that was never met, Chiarelli/McLellan getting hired = us having to give up a pick. Absolute joke.

I'd rather him than that plug in Josh Brown.
Only Emberson IMO has top 4 potential of that grouping. The rest are at best #6D. Pick your poison.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The accrued cap space can't come soon enough. We need to make that trade for Rasmus Andersson
It's probably not going to come at all. The Oilers are one injury away from destroying the accrued cap space dream once and for all.

The likelihood of the oldest team in the league running into injury concerns is very high. And it could happen right out of the gate. Look at the early injuries around the league. The teams activating LTIR are not accruing cap space for the deadline.

Some of you guys are going to be left scratching your heads if/when the Oilers are forced into LTIR territory with no upgrades on defense on the team to show for this accumulating cap strategy.

No smartass response from anyone will change this injury scenario and the extremely high probability of it happening.

That just unnecessarily adds a contract. It's a convoluted way of saying that you don't like the prospect. Best case, he goes down and plays well enough that some team may see upside that he doesn't have here.

Unless we're upgrading on Pickard, there's no reason to add another goalie.
I've got nothing against Pickard. I don't want him replaced. I want Rodrigue replaced and the sooner the better.

Any goalie of any quality usually gets claimed all the time. Look into it.

The Oilers have Delia in the A - which is probably roughly the quality of goalie they would get on waivers anyways. Anybody that is even slightly good isn't going to make it to the Oilers deep position in the waiver pecking order anyways.

If a goalie hits waivers that is any upgrade over Delia/Rodrigue - claim him. Doubt this goalie makes it to the Oilers, and if he does is going to have to go through waivers again on the way down.
Rodrigue isn't getting claimed, I don't think. Are you frightened of Rodrigue getting claimed? He needs to clear waivers for the Oilers to maintain his rights to play him in Bakersfield this upcoming season. Why not grab another organization's number three and see if we can sneak them down to the minors? Keep claiming goaltenders until one does.

I assessed Rodrigue a long time ago. And I was vocal about it.
Buffalo will probably waive James Reimer. 1mil AAV.

Ya, I would.
That would give us great depth but you don't even have to aim that high to increase the quality for the Oiler's third stringer position. That's what I suggest the Oilers do.

If Reimer is a better choice than Pickard you should make that claim and send Pickard down. I don't know if Reimer would be a better fit than Pickard. First instinct tells me that he would be.

If Pickard clears, there is a chance of it happening, the organization has solid depth at the goaltending position. I don't know if Reimer would make it to the Oilers. They are far down the waiver wire selection order.

One final thought. The Oilers losing a player on the waiver wire isn't necessarily a bad thought. They would move to the head of the waiver wire queue. Then the Oilers would be able to improve the team on defense with a waiver wire acquisition. No doubt about it.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The whole Josh Brown thing makes no sense, and it never made any sense. Three years was a weird term for a guy that you can't count on to make your team in year one, let alone year three. And it certainly seems like he's going to be on the opening day roster, regardless of how poorly he played during camp.

I haven't been following camp closely, but it certainly seems like Stetcher could be getting the short end of the stick here.
Stecher is the best of the 3 but because of his size he get's pushed out.

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023
Shocked that the league helps out their precious golden bitches again.
Maybe MTL should try doing the same thing with Carey Price.

GY-QmpgawAAcmkn

What a f***ing joke.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd take the ghost of Nikita Nikitin on the bottom pair over Josh Brown lmao.
At least Stecher and Dermott can move the puck out. Josh Brown would make JF Jacques hands look like Pavel Datsyuk.
Well since we aren't making the decisions we just get to sit and watch. regardless, I stand by my point that none of these guys are it for a top 4 role. If we could acquire a top 4RHD I would have Emberson paired with Kulak and then probably Dermott for the #7D.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Indeed. How many teams look like world-beaters in pre-season after going to game 7 of the SCF a few months prior?

Can't think of many, personally.

This place has become a bastion of hyperbole that is nearly as knee-jerk as Leafsland nowadays.

Sorry, I said it. It's felt like Leafsland West in here for a few seasons now, but the amount of nonsense being spewed in the pre-season has really made it obvious.

Embarrassing amounts of entitlement in here. Why does everyone think they were going to cruise through the season? They wouldn't have with those very inconsistent players either.
No. You are right. Every stereotype about the leafs can be applied to oilers fans on this site as well. Only most are too biased here to see it. It’s cringe worthy.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The difference is that can accrue cap space instead of LTIR.

They come out way ahead with this result

Oilers should’ve done this with klefbom.

Although if that happened McDavid would be a Calgary flame right now
I'm definitely being sarcastic, sorry. Yeah the Oilers should have done that with him and tried this with Campbell.

It's actually completely absurd, if I were another team I would file something against the league about it.

Like Bryan Little just retired and he stat on the cap for nearly a decade.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
You’re aware bowman didn’t sign brown right?

doesnt make any difference, this is his team now and its culled of all relevant youth and not good enough for game 7, or game 82 or game 1 imo.

The future is now and its not enough. Somethings gotta change and the RD market is eerily reminiscent of that time we traded league MVP for a shutdown RD. Im not confident that Bowman will have anything better up his sleeve.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

If the Oilers don't place Kane on LTIR to begin the season, or shortly after the beginning of the season for the purposes of increasing the cap ceiling to max possible with intent of trading for a defenseman, you know this team will not win a Stanley Cup.

You place Kane on LTIR fully intending on him not returning until the playoffs. The arguments against this are extraneous at this junction.

Do you believe Bowman is even trying to win or is he a placeholder for another year of incompetence? If the Oilers had a young team with plenty of prospects waiting to fill roster holes I'd give this accruing cap space for the deadline strategy a shot. But the Oilers don't have a young team, likely to stay relatively healthy, or a system full of prospects ready to go.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad