Rumor: Rumors & Proposals | Sellers Market Opening Up? | 1 Week Away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I would think that the Avs would be wanting prospects and picks but Faulk changes things a bit.

I read somewhere that the Aves want first and foremost a young defenseman. I've heard folks say that on the radio a few times too.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
If Faulk is on the block I have no idea why the Canes would have any interest in RNH. Victor Rask is just as good if not better than Nuge. As is Staal. Then they have this young Aho guy that's pretty good too. Really don't see a deal there, unless they have interest in Eberle or Pulju.

Duchene for Faulk makes a lot more sense as he can play wing too and is a much better offensive player than RNH.

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
This is the dream trade. love RNH but that's a deal you can't pass on.

Need I remind you guys about our forward depth? If any one of our top six gets injured we are in trouble and if two got injured we would have three 4th lines. We can have all the details you want but you still need to score goals to win.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If Faulk is on the block I have no idea why the Canes would have any interest in RNH. Victor Rask is just as good if not better than Nuge. As is Staal. Then they have this young Aho guy that's pretty good too. Really don't see a deal there, unless they have interest in Eberle or Pulju.

I agree. It does sound like Carolina wants a centerman, they have for a little while now, but it's tough to imagine that RNH is that guy, especially considering what other options may be out there. RNH is having a really down year too. If Carolina were to make a trade for him, it would probably be something along the lines of Faulk for RNH+1st+Davidson/Bear/Jones. But I just dont see it.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If Canes would actually take RNH for Faulk you have to do it.

Frees up cap space and you have your top 4 dmen locked up cheap for next few contending years. Grab a rental to replace Nuge this year, and find something longterm in the summer.

Exempt: McDavid, Puljujarvi, Nurse, Benning, Cagguila, Slepyslev

Protect: Draisaitl, Maroon, Lucic, Eberle, Larsson, Faulk, Klefbom, Sekera, Talbot.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
If Nuge+ can get Faulk then I think Chia would have to jump on that. We could trade for a Bozak after and fix the whole in the summer. It will give us top 5 D in the league. Faulk may not be a #1 but he has been put into that role for most of his time in Carolina. Imagine feeding him sheltered minutes and Mcpasses

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If Nuge+ can get Faulk then I think Chia would have to jump on that. We could trade for a Bozak after and fix the whole in the summer. It will give us top 5 D in the league. Faulk may not be a #1 but he has been put into that role for most of his time in Carolina. Imagine feeding him sheltered minutes and Mcpasses

That's just it. Faulk would be the #4 guy here right now, and he would thrive in that role. We wouldn't have an elite #1 dman, but we would probably have one of the deepest groups of 6 in the league.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

I think Faulk is a legit number 1. His addition would effectively set the Oilers defense indefinitely.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Need I remind you guys about our forward depth? If any one of our top six gets injured we are in trouble and if two got injured we would have three 4th lines. We can have all the details you want but you still need to score goals to win.

Need I remind you, you can use that exact same argument for dman. If their are two best dmen are injured we have have three bottom pairings. You still need defence to win.

The truth is that RNH won't bring back a better return than Faulk. If Carolina is will to part with him, you take that deal and run to the airport because it's robbery.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
is there any indication whatsoever that Carolina would make that trade though? A top pairing D for RNH? Faulk today is more valuable than what Larsson was at the time of the Hall trade.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
is there any indication whatsoever that Carolina would make that trade though? A top pairing D for RNH? Faulk today is more valuable than what Larsson was at the time of the Hall trade.

Who knows the depth of the RNH/Francis/BrindAmour love triangle

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada

Carolina has very strong depth at defense. They could trade Faulk and not suffer as much. For NJ to trade Larsson it opened up a much larger hole on D for them. If they are desperate enough for a center it could happen.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

Oh I dunno, Larsson had a good season last year, Faulk is having his worst of the last 3 seasons currently

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Faulk would be an amazing pick up in a trade, moving RNH, Davidson and a 1st wouldn't cripple our team either if we got a 3C like Ryan back either
The things IMO he's not a #1 D, he's more like a 3/4...... hear me out first before lighting me up
He would slot in as our second pairing D, he's from my limited viewing and research not a well rounded enough D to call a #1 like Doughty, Weber, Jodi etc. is Offence is great but his D is good, above average no doubt but not elite. That's why I think his value is closer to RNH then people are suggesting

Leaves us with Klef -Larsson. Sekera - Faulk Nurse - Benning after this season which is crazy good but I don't think his value is that of a top pairing due to his style of play. A snake bitten season with points and he. Becomes very average

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Duchene for Faulk makes a lot more sense as he can play wing too and is a much better offensive player than RNH.

Faulk for a package starting with Nuge would definitely require some drink spiking by Chia during in-person negotiations.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That's just it. Faulk would be the #4 guy here right now, and he would thrive in that role. We wouldn't have an elite #1 dman, but we would probably have one of the deepest groups of 6 in the league.

No doubt, with Larsson to do the heavy lifting, Faulk could be freed up like Klefbom to use his skill and dominate.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Just wanted to add that the year went by as if 3 of the top 6 were injured so really, it's no different than status quo ;)

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Reading Matheson's tweets his only insider tidbit is that Faulk is available and they'd want a center back, him throwing RNH's name in there is just him trying to connect the dots, not any insider knowledge that RNH is who they would want back.

Faulk presently is Carolina's 3rd best d-man, you might argue 4th best, but regardless I do believe he can be a top pairing d-man and I'd love to add him. It is sensible why they'd be willing to move him, his GF% is really poor this year and Carolina is a well coached & well structured team, Faulk's occassional defensive gaffes stick out and while his cap-hit is low, his actual salary is more of a concern to Carolina who is budget oriented.

If we want Faulk and expect to beat out the most likely offer of Duchene I'd guess the framework for a deal would be
RNH + Puljujarvi for Faulk + (perhaps Lindholm) and if they are greedy they might even push for a small amount of retention on RNH.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
RNH for Faulk would be outright grand larceny. I doubt Chia would be allowed back into the US if he managed to pull off that deal on account of being an unofficial felon.

Matheson is outright senile if he thinks trading an ineffective 2nd/3rd line center for top pairing defenseman who produces more offensively would somehow be something that the Oilers couldn't easily overcome. That being said, Ron Francis would have to be senile as well to be seriously entertain letting his franchise make a deal like that, which makes it a rather unlikely scenario in the first place.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Chia would offer RNH+ for Faulk, Carolina would counter with Draisaitl, and the conversation would end there

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

I think if we're players in such a deal, it's as an ancillary party. Remember, the Avs acquiring Faulk means they would suddenly have too many right-handed defensemen (EJ, Faulk, Barrie).

As such, I could see that rarest of things- a three-way trade- coming to fruition:

To CAR- Duchene, EDM 2nd '18
To COL- Faulk, RNH, Davidson
To EDM- Barrie, Soderberg

Barrie would be free to do what he does best with a veteran LHD as his partner here in Edmonton and strong defensive players both ahead of and behind him. There's extra motivation for Colorado to do it with Zadorov out, as they could use a young left-handed defenseman to fill in. Davidson would get a fair shot there before the expansion draft and maybe earn himself a longer (or shorter, depending on how you look at it) stay. We then chip in the pick to Carolina in place of Colorado, making the value on their side a little more even.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-Soderberg-Eberle
Pouliot-?-?
Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Barrie
Russell-Benning
Nurse

People might balk at Soderberg, but let's not forget how hard Chia pushed to get him over to NA in the first place- and then how he deployed him. Lucic actually lined up next to the Yeti and Eriksson for a time in Boston, and they had some success together.

Biggest problem is still that third line, but with two 3rds to spare at the deadline I can see that also being fixed in short order. Just have to wait it out and play the many sellers off one another for whichever of Burrows/Sharp/Stafford/Parenteau and Boyle/Ryan/Pyatt/Kelly. As I mentioned yesterday, there is also the possibility of a longer-term addition from an expansion-strapped team. If we can get someone like Filppula with retention for two years, that'd help more than a rental.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Chia would offer RNH+ for Faulk, Carolina would counter with Draisaitl, and the conversation would end there

Conversation is different now. We aren't desperate, and their needs may have changed. Not saying the deal will ever happen, but it is far more likely now than before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad