Rules Question

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I just watched a play where the shortstop, with ball securely in glove, tagged the runner out, but the runners cleat yoinked the glove off his hand. Runner was called safe and no one argued the call, so I guess it's the right call but it sure does feel wrong.
Not sure why it even matters if you lose the ball 1/2 second after making a tag, the out has already been made...there's no rule saying that you have to hold a tag for it to count. The yoinked glove just makes it worse.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Yeah I saw one earlier this year where the runner used his arm or hand to knock the ball out of the middle infielders glove and he was called safe too, It wasn't as blatant as when A-Rod did it running to first way back, but I thought you could only make contact and knock a ball loose from a catcher. I could see if its a case of like they bump into each other as the fielder is just receiving the throw and it wasn't secured, but neither of these instances sound like that. I'm not a fan of it being allowed

Reactions: byrath

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I just watched a play where the shortstop, with ball securely in glove, tagged the runner out, but the runners cleat yoinked the glove off his hand. Runner was called safe and no one argued the call, so I guess it's the right call but it sure does feel wrong.
Not sure why it even matters if you lose the ball 1/2 second after making a tag, the out has already been made...there's no rule saying that you have to hold a tag for it to count. The yoinked glove just makes it worse.

Video?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I couldn't find one but I don't really know where to look beyond a google search. Unfortunately my memory also stinks and I can only say that it was Jays/Orioles, Leo Jimenez, 2 or 3 days ago. I doubt it would be in any general highlights package

I agree with Safe call. I see glove being knocked off simulaneous to tag being applied, not after.

It's a judgement call, if he held the tag but it came off later he could been ruled out but looks like right call here.

Runner did a pretty standard slide, didn't kick or knock the glove off purposefully so can't argue that either.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That’s a weird play but I agree with the safe call. It was all in one fluid motion. Toe of the cleat caught the open glove and pulled it off. As a fielder you gotta hold on to your glove for it to count

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
That’s a weird play but I agree with the safe call. It was all in one fluid motion. Toe of the cleat caught the open glove and pulled it off. As a fielder you gotta hold on to your glove for it to count
Looks to me like it came off after the tag.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Like I said, it’s all within the same motion while the glove is still on the player. If the glove disengaged with the runner after the tag and then the ball came out or glove fell off that might be a different story. Think of it like a continuation play.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

The glove comes right off as he’s applying the tag. There has to be some kind of possession.

Like catching the ball, it can’t hit the back of the webbing and pop out immediately, that’s a drop. You have to control it for some amount of time.

Same with the tag

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
so the ruling is caught stealing followed by E6. well damn!!! all runners that are caught stealing always are called out. now we have this exception.

so in spring training just teach everyone to slide like this and phase out headfirst slides. front leg aims for the glove to jam the shit out of it to dislodge ball.

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad