Proposal: Roy for Niemelä+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Happy to see that Habs fans are not the only one who massively overrated there prospect. Niemelä a top 10 prospect D not in the NHL, really ?? Not saying he’s not good, but they are way better prospect then him especially with his size . Remember me when Habs fans thought that Romanov would be a Calder finaliste and one of the best D not in the NHL.

You do realize that there are 10 defenseman that should be considered "top-10 prospect D", right? It's not an outrageous claim by any means for me to say a 19 year old defenseman playing 20+ minutes/game in the ~5th best league in the world while dominating play & being almost PPG before going off the WJC (which since his PPG has taken a bit of a hit).

Name me 10 better prospect defenseman right now. I'll even start the list for you of guys that I believe are better prospects (and yes, I'll laugh when I see Guhle):

Owen Power
Jake Sanderson
Simon Edvinsson
Brandt Clarke
Luke Hughes
Olen Zellweger

Either way, I'm done arguing this. Good day.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
For the last 2-3 years I heard how great and underrated Holl was from Leafs fans... what happened?
Justin Holl is having a bad season. He was great the last two years, he is not great this year. This is a simple concept.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
agreed, we should instead sling mud over the kings giving the leafs the best goalie in the league

I'd say we're fine with that one too.

Campbell doesn't help the Kings win with their upcoming prospects, and we had to make space for the younger Petersen. Seems like Kings front office and TO's front office do well together and as you know Campbell is a stellar human being so everyone was done a solid. Also, since no one knows shit about Roy, it comes as no surprise that you didn't notice that Quick is also one of the best goalies in the league this year.

So out of that trade we got a useful roster player in Moore, a pick that was used in pursuit of Kirill Kirsanov, and Alex Laferriere. life's good, I thought it was win-win, but as usual, the parade started a little too early in TO I guess, all unnecessary venom started because Kings can't afford to give up Matt Roy for position-of-strength futures :dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: go4hockey

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016

Campbell doesn't help the Kings win with their upcoming prospects, and we had to make space for the younger Petersen. Seems like Kings front office and TO's front office do well together and as you know Campbell is a stellar human being so everyone was done a solid. Also, since no one knows shit about Roy, it comes as no surprise that you didn't notice that Quick is also one of the best goalies in the league this year.

So out of that trade we got a useful roster player in Moore, a pick that was used in pursuit of Kirill Kirsanov, and Alex Laferriere. life's good, I thought it was win-win, but as usual, the parade started a little too early in TO I guess, all unnecessary venom started because Kings can't afford to give up Matt Roy for position-of-strength futures :dunno:
I agree with you and generally have zero animosity towards your points. But resinging Iafallo instead of trading him to us was a dick move lol
he was IMO the perfect fit for our top 6

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

yeah I wouldn't say there was much venom in my post tbh. The Campbell trade has been incredible for Toronto, obviously. I made no comment about the Kings side of things.

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

You complaining about "unnecessary venom" in the same sentence is that you take a "plan the parade" potshot is kinda rich. Get off your highhorse.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Makes no sense for the kings to add an undeveloped prospect into a position of organizational strength, especially at the cost of our best shutdown D.

We do have spicy Marc now though, so who the f*** knows, fax the paperwork through & maybe something wild happens.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Makes no sense for the kings to add an undeveloped prospect into a position of organizational strength, especially at the cost of our best shutdown D.

We do have spicy Marc now though, so who the f*** knows, fax the paperwork through & maybe something wild happens.
I legit wish rentals were rentals
where we could rent a player under contract for the remainder of a season.
It would really help teams looking to add picks/prospects and they would get their franchise player back at the end of the season. An other plus would be fans of a team who is out of the playoffs would then have a team to root for.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I would trade Sandin, Liljegren, Amirov, Robertson before I trade Niemelä. The criminal is you.

First Liljegren was a steal of the draft, the next year Sandin became the shiny new toy and was going to be a top pairing defenseman, and now it's Niemela.

I guess if you think every prospect is going to turn out a stud eventually you'll be right.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
First Liljegren was a steal of the draft, the next year Sandin became the shiny new toy and was going to be a top pairing defenseman, and now it's Niemela.

I guess if you think every prospect is going to turn out a stud eventually you'll be right.
It's called potential. Niemelä has the most upside. Do we know what we have yet. No. Are fans allowed to prefer to keep one of their prospects over another. Yes. Is Matt Roy worth a 7th round pick still simply because he was drafted in the 7th round? It's almost like he is worth more since being drafted!! What an Amazing thought! It's almost as if some players value goes down, and others go up!

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
funny thing is leafs window is now, by the time niemla will even be able to show what hes capable of their window will be closed.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

For real. The hypocrisy is unreal

Remember when Liljegren was a sure fire blue chip future top pairing guy who fell from a top 5 pick to the leafs in the middle of the first?
Then Sandin was the future of the leafs blue line. After his WJC performance leaf fans were saying he was the 2nd best defenseman of the 2018 draft.

Now it’s Niemela.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It's called potential. Niemelä has the most upside. Do we know what we have yet. No. Are fans allowed to prefer to keep one of their prospects over another. Yes. Is Matt Roy worth a 7th round pick still simply because he was drafted in the 7th round? It's almost like he is worth more since being drafted!! What an Amazing thought! It's almost as if some players value goes down, and others go up!

I've stated before that Niemela should've been a late 1st rounder in the draft. More than welcome to prefer to keep your prospects, but some objectively should remain. Matt Roy is easily worth more than Niemela +, regardless of how much you prefer him.

Reactions: go4hockey

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

For real. The hypocrisy is unreal

Remember when Liljegren was a sure fire blue chip future top pairing guy who fell from a top 5 pick to the leafs in the middle of the first?
Then Sandin was the future of the leafs blue line. After his WJC performance leaf fans were saying he was the 2nd best defenseman of the 2018 draft.

Now it’s Niemela.
So out of touch. Remember when Girard was the second coming? Then the playoffs happened. How about Timmins? Oh right.

Not sure what your point is aside from listing the excellent value TOR has gotten out of it's later round picks. Niemela tracking towards blue chip status doesn't take anything away from Sandin :laugh:

Sandin is proving most Leaf fans right and trending exactly how he was hyped. Liljegren was proclaimed to be a bust by HF casuals like yourself, yet he's been arguably the Leafs 3rd best D at times this year as a 22 year old. Niemela is tracking to set records in Liiga at 19.

As for the bolded - when in doubt, just make stuff up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad