Euro: Round of 16 - Switzerland v. Italy - June 29

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Right, it depends on person to person but there's more to being from somewhere than 'Can I go to Grandmas if I land there?' albeit I agree that time affects the relationship, just not to the extent that you're suggesting. Kinship is a real thing and as I said earlier, culture lives on in foreign countries as well.

I don't buy the voting argument though. I can vote in France just because I got a passport through my grand-mother. That doesn't make me more French insofar as I still don't really feel French because I had little exposure to it growing up besides TV and books. But tell my mom (who has never lived in France either) that she's not French and she'd rightfully flip because it's her mom we'd be talking about and she (rightfully) wouldn't give a hoot what some random Frenchman would think. My dad is a born and raised Moroccan and tried to live there for a couple years maybe a decade ago after spending 40+ years in Canada and the US and struggled to adapt. His Arabic is still as impeccable as his French. Does that mean he's no longer Moroccan even if he still has Moroccan friends, siblings, follows the news, eats the cuisine, etc? I think that'd be an absurd suggestion.

Not everything is just one thing and millions around the world embrace all aspects of their lived experience.
That's why I identified as Argentinan before the finals.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Was 2006 even worth all this? This was probably the worst Italy team I have ever seen and we missed the last two world cups. Please tell me how we qualify for the next World Cup.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yeah but it's a World Cup .and with FIFA politics being what they are Europe barely profits from the expansion at all. There will be at least six CONCACAF teams at the tournament, at least nine African teams and eight Asian teams. That's where the bulk of the expansion slots go. UEFA is getting 16 teams..which is only 2 more than what they had in Russia 2018. In other words, it will remain much harder to qualify for the World Cup than it is for the Euro.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
An interesting stat about Italy is that their all-time leading scorer has 35 goals.

That’s good for 88th in the world.

It's not Luigi Riva's fault, during his 9 year NT career, he played only 42 matches, whilst more recently players with comparable years (like Suker, Berbatov or Kane) get to play around double the number of matches.

It's more the fault of recent Italy strikers, who haven't been able to stay long enough with the squad. Paolo Rossi or Christian Vieri might have broken the record with a longer stay with the NT, maybe Luca Toni too, but he was a very late starter.

The ones who had a long enough NT career, like Baggio and Del Piero, weren't really lone out-and-out strikers, so the scoring within the team was more spread out.

But, yes it should be one of the most easily breakable NT scoring record, basically you just need a good striker to score 4 goals a year for a decade. Maybe AC Milan's Francesco Camarda (16 years) can be that guy.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's not Luigi Riva's fault, during his 9 year NT career, he played only 42 matches, whilst more recently players with comparable years (like Suker, Berbatov or Kane) get to play around double the number of matches.

It's more the fault of recent Italy strikers, who haven't been able to stay long enough with the squad. Paolo Rossi or Christian Vieri might have broken the record with a longer stay with the NT, maybe Luca Toni too, but he was a very late starter.

The ones who had a long enough NT career, like Baggio and Del Piero, weren't really lone out-and-out strikers, so the scoring within the team was more spread out.

But, yes it should be one of the most easily breakable NT scoring record, basically you just need a good striker to score 4 goals a year for a decade. Maybe AC Milan's Francesco Camarda (16 years) can be that guy.

You would have thought that a guy like Rossi (personal issues aside) or Autobelli would have eclipsed that number.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad