Euro: Round of 16 - Switzerland v. Italy - June 29

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Did some Italian guy take your girl?
I have no problem with Italians. In fact I've always gotten along well with actual Italians and was happy for them both in 2006 and 2021. I'm joking about bozos in North America and their strategically deployed nationalism for a country they have at best maybe seen once or twice in their lives.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I have no problem with Italians. In fact I've always gotten along well with actual Italians and was happy for them both in 2006 and 2021. I'm joking about bozos in North America and their strategically deployed nationalism for a country they have at best maybe seen once or twice in their lives.
Like my moron brother who never watched a soccer game in his life who is right now screaming his brains like a four year old? Is that what you're referring to?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I don't get this. So people can't celebrate their origins - and if your origin can at least be a sports team to cheer for, what's the issue there? - because they haven't gone to Italy enough according to you?

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Italy have given up. Boring shit.

Really hope the Germany-Denmark delivers some fun.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Italy is really deploying a truly inspired tactic today of letting Swiss attackers cut into the middle and take shots unopposed.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't get this. So people can't celebrate their origins - and if your origin can at least be a sports team to cheer for, what's the issue there? - because they haven't gone to Italy enough according to you?
Football is only for them everyone else is a fair weather fan…

Italy is lacking a lot of things with this team... Creativity is one of them.
It’s a bold strategy cotton

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Eh in the big scheme of things I don't care all that much, but enough to mock them a little. If you don't think a bunch of Americans riding around in a convertible waving flags celebrating a result of a country they're not from in a sport they don't understand, is at least a bit funny and deserving of a little stick if it backfires, then I don't know man.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Ok so you are butt hurt that you aren't Italian and jealous you can't cheer for the best country in the world.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Eh in the big scheme of things I don't care all that much, but enough to mock them a little. If you don't think a bunch of Americans riding around in a convertible waving flags celebrating a result of a country they're not from in a sport they don't understand, is at least a bit funny and deserving of a little stick if it backfires, then I don't know man.

Yeah, I guess when you put it that way, I kinda sorta get it, but at the end of the day I get folks (who have largely kept their Italian culture going even in NA) having fun with sports. Seems like overthinking.

I have a colleague who's Italian-Canadian and she was sharing videos on Slack of her celebrating in her Italian neighborhood in Montreal with a bunch of people, old, young, toddlers, etc. I highly doubt she could name many players on that squad or that she's ever watched a Serie A game nor do I know how many times she's been to Italy but it would feel shitty (and wrong) to me to say that she's a) not Italian b) not have fun watching soccer because she's a Montrealer.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Ok so you are butt hurt that you aren't Italian and jealous you can't cheer for the best country in the world.
I could cheer for them if I wanted to, in fact I'd rather they won this match to be entirely honest. In fact, I'd be cheering for them all the way to the Final. The problem is that they're a terrible team and embarrassing the colors they wear.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Standing ovation, our first shot on net!

Yeah, I guess when you put it that way, I kinda sorta get it, but at the end of the day I get folks (who have largely kept their Italian culture going even in NA) having fun with sports. Seems like overthinking.

I have a colleague who's Italian-Canadian and she was sharing videos on Slack of her celebrating in her Italian neighborhood in Montreal with a bunch of people, old, young, toddlers, etc. I highly doubt she could name many players on that squad or that she's ever watched a Serie A game nor do I know how many times she's been to Italy but it would feel shitty (and wrong) to me to say that she's a) not Italian b) not have fun watching soccer because she's a Montrealer.
By any chance, do you work a shipping company? That sounds like my cousin

Reactions: 2CHAINZ

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

There are only two types of people in this world. Italians, and those who want to be Italian.

• Haha
Reactions: luiginb

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Well she ain't Italian just like Johnny O'Brien from Boston isn't Irish and Joe Olson from Minnesota isn't Swedish. You go to those countries and you're American to people, not less, not more.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Well she ain't Italian just like Johnny O'Brien from Boston isn't Irish and Joe Olson from Minnesota isn't Swedish. You go to those countries and you're American to people, not less, not more.

That's an extremely limited of seeing things and I say this as someone who's lived his whole life in NA and has multiple passports/nationalities. I'm not just Canadian.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
That's an extremely limited of seeing things and I say this as someone who's lived his whole life in NA and has multiple passports/nationalities. I'm not just Canadian.
I moved to America less than a decade ago and I've talked to people back home who've expressed surprise I speak without an American accent. The simple reality is that once you're gone a certain amount of time to many of them you're no longer one of them. If you were born over here, you're definitely no longer one of them. If your parents were born here, it's basically all but irrelevant. That doesn't mean people need to forget their ancestry or heritage or whatever, but put it into context.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad