Euro: Round of 16 - Switzerland v. Italy - June 29

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The first Round of 16 matchup that has been finalized, we see an Alpine duel between Switzerland and Italy.

Switzerland finished second in Group A. They looked strong against Hungary in their opening match, winning 3-1, before closing out the group stage with two draws. The first, against Scotland, saw goals early, with Scott McTominay scoring off a deflection for Scotland before Xherdan Shaqiri picked up a loose pass and fired home. In its final match, an early goal for Germany was ruled out and Dan Ndoye scored for the Swiss shortly thereafter. For a long while, it looked like Switzerland would beat their neighbors, but Niclas Fullkrug equalized in the 90+2, pushing Switzerland into second.

Italy also finished second in its group, Group B. Like Switzerland, Italy won its first match, knocking off Albania. Italy came back from a first minute Albanian goal, scoring twice in five minutes and then playing defense for 75 minutes. Italy then looked pretty atrocious against Spain, although they did lose only 1-0, despite the potential for Spain to really turn the screw. Italy was trailing by the same 1-0 score line going into stoppage time against Croatia following a Luka Modric finish shortly after Modric saw his penalty saved. However, keeping with the theme of late goals in this tournament, Italy equalized through Mattia Zaccagni in the 90+8.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Going with the Swiss on this one. Italy has done nothing to inspire me. Plus I sat in the Swiss section for a game in Qatar and they were great fun :laugh:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Di Lorenzo has started badly, he has been beaten easily a couple of times already. Barella struggling a bit for a while after Xhaka kneed him in the thigh.

Lots of fouls by both teams, not much in terms of attack been shown so far.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I'm a casual fan just watching the game while I eat lunch. The diving is making this unwatchable. Probably won't watch another game.
1719678129363.png

Is this your first time watching a game?

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
There is literally 10x the diving in the NHL but ok.

I think it's different but fine. I hate diving in the NHL too. The difference is I'm a dedicated hockey fan. As stated, I'm only a casual soccer fan. I lose interest every time I see this flopping around like that broke a leg until the trainers look at them then they magically get up and run like racehorses. The first 15 minutes of this game were especially brutal.

Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1