Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick 135: Elliot Desnoyers, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Millman, a smooth skating puck mover, went in the 4th last year. Serdyuk and Brodzinski went in the 5th and 7th

Wyatt Wylie was a 6th rounder I think in 2018

2017 they picked Kalynuk, who chicago is going to love, in the 7th and Lyksell who is now seeing top minutes in the 5th or 6th

All not floor guys. Half of this year's picks were floor guys, including both mid-later round picks

They are flawed, Kalynuk is fast but has serious questions about IQ, defense, Wylie is a late bloomer who wasn't seen as more than a 3rd pair guy at best, Millman was #103. Lykesell is unlikely to whiff the top 6.

I'd love to add a "Raffl" or two in every draft, the top couple picks is where you fill out the top of the roster, the vast majority of top 6/top 4 guys are picked in the top 50 of the draft. But the good drafting teams fill out the bottom of the roster, and a few exceed expectations over time.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I think that is under selling him a bit from what I have seen.

He has some skill and a nice physical skill-set. It was kind of a shock this season that he did not get closer to P/GP.

Dont love the pick but he is kind of a "sleeper-ish" guy.
C'mon man. We were having fun with that narrative.

Reactions: Appleyard

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Not getting an all-star at 135. Might get a relentless 4th liner. Lindlbom is the exception. If they missed on a comparable prospect at 135, I'll admit it.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
He's so much better off of the puck than he is on it. If you want a player who will selflessly run head-first through a brick wall if that's what's necessary for his linemates to succeed, then look no further than Desnoyers

Elite prospects
Sounds like his nickname will be Destroyer

Reactions: Tripod

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
How Hockey Prospect rated him:
Rating scale
3 poor, 4 below average, 5 average, 6 good, 7, very good, 8 excellent, 9 elite

Desnoyers grades:
Hockey sense 5
Compete 7
Skill 5
Skating 6

He was given the designation ND for no draft

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Can't wait to read that Simon Nolet recommended him.

I don't know jack shit about young Elliot, but we don't draft much from the QMJHL anymore. And the players we do draft there's not much to write home about.

636454139892956669-GettyImages-868799058.jpg

But yeah, other than Coots and NAK in the last 10 years...

Laberge, Dove McFalls, Morin and Serdyuk last season.

Not so stellar.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Can't wait to read that Simon Nolet recommended him.

I don't know jack shit about young Elliot, but we don't draft much from the QMJHL anymore. And the players we do draft there's not much to write home about.
Does Nolet even scout for the team still? I remember reading years ago that he had a reduced scouting role, and haven't seen much of anything about him since.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden

oddly, his shot looks really awkward and it’s missing some of the fundamental aspects like torque and follow-through. I think the reduced quality of competition in comparison to the NHL really helped him. His skating seems pretty average, but has a good first step and good lateral movement and is strong on his skates which is good. His shot really bothers me. Didn’t see one slap shot and every wrist shot kind of made me cringe because it’s just ugly, but it works.

If he can develop a powerful shot with that ugly wrister then I think that it can fool some goaltenders, but he really has to work on some fundamentals. The good thing is that the puck seems to follow him because he finds the good areas to go to.

I don’t know much and I’m not going to act like I do, but I would guess:

Ceiling: B6 talent
Floor: AHL regular

Projection: AHLer that maybe gets a couple trys in the NHL.

Reactions: IronMarshal

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011
So Fletcher traded 117, 146 and 206, 208 to move up to 94 and 135.
Given the Flyers' prospect depth, that makes perfect sense, move up for guys you've targeted instead of a bunch of 7th rd stiffs.
Given the flyers prospect depth you'd think it would make sense to draft high risk high reward players in mid-late rounds instead of low risk medium-ish reward tho, no?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Given the flyers prospect depth you'd think it would make sense to draft high risk high reward players in mid-late rounds instead of low risk medium-ish reward tho, no?

Depends what you consider a high risk/high reward?
Smaller players, check, they did that.
Injury issues, we've had too many of them to deliberately search them out. :sarcasm:
Character flaws, stay far away, because even when you hit, they often go south after a good scoring season b/c they love money more than the game or winning.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He’s not listed on the team’s site in the personnel directory. He’s going to be 79 next month.

He is still around... and I believe they consult him on stuff.

But Todd Hearty and Martin Gendron are now the main two Q guy.

Fletcher brought Gendron in from the Wild. Hearty has been with the Flyers a loooong time (I think longest tenured amateur scout or close now) and was under Nolet in Q.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad