Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 107: Heikki Ruohonen, C, Kiekko-Espoo U20 (SM-Saarja) -> Dubuque (USHL) -> Harvard (NCAA)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Ruohonen is a player whose draft stock has risen partially due to exposure. His five points in five games at the u-18 WJC have had him catapult as high as top 50 in some rankings. There is a lot to like about his game, he is an intelligent two-way center who is diligent defensively, works hard in all three zones, can deliver some bruising hits, and rarely loses a board battle. And all this is ignoring the fact that he had the highest P/GP of any first time draft eligible u-20 SM-Sarja regular this season. Very few players who do what he did this season at that level don’t end up – at worst – good Euro league or AHL players. Offensively he is a deceptive passer who is a danger around the net to boot. He will never be the most “skilled” player, his hands can be clunky, and he can struggle to get shots off from tough spots. Ruohonen is also not the worst skater but does need to get a bit quicker is he is going to excel at the pro level. However, his IQ, drive and well-rounded game mean that with continued improvement to his skating he has a chance to one day make the NHL in a bottom-six role.

What I wrote about him for Smaht.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Young and good production but the Finnish Junior League isn't great. The interesting thing with these European college commits is they can't play pro hockey and kinda get stuck playing junior hockey at a level that may be beneath their abilities and they can stagnate waiting to be eligible to play college hockey.

Another u18 pick.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I find it weird when players come from Europe to play college, but stop over in USHL. Just seems like a lot.

Reactions: Jettany

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I find it weird when players come from Europe to play college, but stop over in USHL. Just seems like a lot.
Acclimation and may not be eligible grade wise. He is really young for his class. Not sure how the grade levels in Finland match with the US.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Acclimation and may not be eligible grade wise. He is really young for his class. Not sure how the grade levels in Finland match with the US.
They also want to raise the profile of the USHL, but I don’t know how that’s gonna work once CHL players become NCAA-eligible.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Colleges often want them to play USHL first to adapt... and tbh a lot of junior Euro guys are not ready for NCAA tbh.

USHL is better than J20 and U20 SM-Saarja.

Tbf to USHL in terms of difficultly of playing in the league? The transferability stats say that it is harder than the CHL. Ofc does not have as much top talent but CHL more diluted at bottom... and CHL is a slightly younger league.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Colleges often want them to play USHL first to adapt... and tbh a lot of junior Euro guys are not ready for NCAA tbh.

USHL is better than J20 and U20 SM-Saarja.

Tbf to USHL in terms of difficultly of playing in the league? The transferability stats say that it is harder than the CHL. Ofc does not have as much top talent but CHL more diluted at bottom... and CHL is a slightly younger league.
It’s a lot more tight league because theres so few teams, players don’t have to be drafted, as they’re getting international talent.

Reactions: Appleyard

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Had never heard of this guy, but this years junior competitions he played very well and was one of the best Finnish players imo.

Glad to see Flyers finally draft a Finn or two. I think before Tuomaala there was a very long pause.

At 13 when they drafted Luchanko, there was Helenius still on the board.. That stinks a little, hes a Flyer type of player.

Last edited:
Reactions: scumpup and Larry44

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Have to say, I was impressed with his DevCamp interview. Confident, smart guy who knows what he wants. Emulates Barkov, wants to play in the NHL so he's going to Harvard next year after playing in USHL for Dubuque.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad