Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 51: Jack Berglund, C, Farjestad (SHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
No 2nd rounder has definite third line potential. Hell a bunch of first rounders aren't guaranteed to be third liners. That's the point. His floor and likelihood of reaching that potential is much lower than that. Especially if you score at the rate he did in a lesser Junior League.

Do you see anyone quibbling over their 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks? No because they were reasonable picks even if some had personal preference for other players. I will never understand people who come to a prospect centric message board and complain about people questioning the thought process of a draft pick.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I actually watched a game because @BigToe got "bored." Some draft guru.

I expected worse with the skating. The stride is a little short, but his footwork is totally fine for a guy his size. It's just garden variety power skating work. Always bet on the feet if the stride isn't there yet. I'd give it a fixable grade. Positionally sound blah blah. Mostly went to the net; decent boards play using his size; wasn't on the puck a ton; skill level feels below average/bland, but not a horror show, with a tinge of competent passing. So, yeah, if things break right, a 4th liner!

I know that Teddy Stiga is 5'10 and the Flyers sorted the draft by size, but if they think this guy has a higher floor or ceiling, they're Mr. Magoo. I'm sure Stiga will do nothing to boost his value playing with Hagens, Perreault, and Leonard.

No 2nd rounder has definite third [line] potential. Hell a bunch of first rounders aren't guaranteed to be third liners.

I thought Ryan Poehling was a top 15 prospect in his class. He grades as one of the fastest players in the NHL. By age 25, he is a good 4C, with flashes in higher usage. People lose all perspective of the skills and scoring needed at lower levels to even approach a "floor." Every prospect is a future 2nd pair defender or 3rd liner.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I thought Ryan Poehling was a top 15 prospect in his class. He grades as one of the fastest players in the NHL. By age 25, he is a good 4C, with flashes in higher usage. People lose all perspective of the skills and scoring needed at lower levels to even approach a "floor." Every prospect is a future 2nd pair defender or 3rd liner.
Thanks for catching the typo. :thumbu:

I need to get out of the house.

• Wow
Reactions: Magua

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
No 2nd rounder has definite third line potential. Hell a bunch of first rounders aren't guaranteed to be third liners. That's the point. His floor and likelihood of reaching that potential is much lower than that. Especially if you score at the rate he did in a lesser Junior League.

Do you see anyone quibbling over their 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks? No because they were reasonable picks even if some had personal preference for other players. I will never understand people who come to a prospect centric message board and complain about people questioning the thought process of a draft pick.
I can remember just a few months ago everybody going bananas on here because we gave up a fourth round pick like it was going to be part of the process of a rebuild.
I guess our fourth round pick that we received is turning franchise around.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I can remember just a few months ago everybody going bananas on here because we gave up a fourth round pick like it was going to be part of the process of a rebuild.
Yeah that's a common thread around here. Feels like a lot of the times draft picks and prospects are only valuable if they are traded away.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm talking about the players they selected with those picks this year. Not the value of those picks.

Reactions: BernieParent

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Has anyone thrown out a comp for this guy? I still don't understand the upside

Berglund is not a "bad" player.

BUT here is the list of guys who got under 0.85 P/GP in the J20 in their draft year and became 50+ point NHLers since the 90s? (of like 150 guys who were drafted)

Mika Zibanejad (but he did play half the season in the SHL and get over 0.3 P/GP)...
André Burakovsky (but he did only play 13 games in J20 and put up over 0.25 P/GP in Allsvenskan)

and yeh. That is the entire list.

There is actually zero precedence in around 30 years for a player scoring at that rate in the J20 in draft year, without good level pro league play, and becoming more than a 3rd liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad