Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Rangers) 2015 Playoffs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
So...if Fehr is good to go...line up?

Ovie - Backstrom - Ward
Mojo - Kuzy - Chimmer
Beagle - Fehr - Brouwer
Glencross - Laich - Wilson

Or Keep Burakovsky in there and scratch Glencross?

Ovie - Backstrom - Ward
Mojo - Kuzy - Chimmer
Laich - Fehr - Brouwer
Burakovsky - Beagle - Wilson

I kinda liked the 4th line last night as is.

I liked the 4th line, but I'd like to see room for 65. Maybe give him Brouwer's spot for a game?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Caps were the better regular season team in both FF% and CF% at 5-on-5. Rangers were 19th and 20th in the league in each of those measures. They also led the league in PDO.

#fancystats don't look kindly upon the Rangers this season.

thanks much!

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
The Rangers crushed us in the 2nd game. We were coming off 3 or 4 days rest and they were playing their 3rd game in 5 days or somesuch. There was a lot of talk in the local media about that being a test game.

They didn't ice a full squad in the 4th meeting.

Perhaps you misremember that game. We were short both Green and Orpik. "Crushed" isn't a word I'd use. It was a coin flip game.

We were down 2-1 late in the 3rd until Carlson's turnover that led to St Louis goal. Cam Talbot was amazing that game. Caps had a couple turnoverd and the Rags capitalized on each one. They missed nothing.

The last game Tim Gleason led our D in TOI. We were taking it easy too.

Again...over 4 games Holtby had a sub .900 sv pctg. You aren't going to win many games in todays NHL like that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2015/04/28/recapping-the-capitals-rangers-season-series/

March 11, 2015, Verizon Center: Rangers 3-1

The recap: A costly turnover from defenseman John Carlson sparked New York’s third goal and helped the Rangers move into a tie for the league’s best record, where they eventually finished the regular season.

With defensemen Brooks Orpik (lower body) and Mike Green (upper body) both battling with injuries, Washington started Nate Schmidt beside Carlson and Cam Schilling with Gleason. Both new pairs had early turnovers that led to New York goals. Forward Jay Beagle also left the game with an upper-body injury on an open-ice hit from defenseman Dan Girardi. After losing at home to Dallas two days later, another poor effort against a team on short rest, the Capitals would call a closed-door, players-only meeting.

The stars: Goaltender Cam Talbot, relegated to a reserve role for the postseason with Henrik Lundqvist healthy again, stuffed 16 shots during the third period, including a quick one-two punch on an Ovechkin breakaway and the ensuing rebound.

The stat: 0. New York netminders before Talbot who had ever allowed one goal or fewer in four straight games.

The quote: “All the goals were pretty much based off turnover, a mistake, something like that. You just bide your time, hoping you’re going to get one. We were just waiting for that one, and they were pretty good at limiting us. That’s kind of the way these games go between us.” – Defenseman Karl Alzner.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Perhaps you misremember that game. We were short both Green and Orpik. "Crushed" isn't a word I'd use. It was a coin flip game.

We were down 2-1 late in the 3rd until Carlson's turnover that led to St Louis goal. Cam Talbot was amazing that game. Caps had a couple turnoverd and the Rags capitalized on each one. They missed nothing.

The last game Tim Gleason led our D in TOI. We were taking it easy too.

Again...over 4 games Holtby had a sub .900 sv pctg. You aren't going to win many games in todays NHL like that.

This is a concerning fact.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
As long as we are healthy on D, we are going to be going deep in any series.

We won a 7 game series with scoring more than 2 goals only TWICE all series against the Islanders. That's very hard to do unless your defense is amazing. Kuzy may have gotten a lot of credit for stepping up - and he deserves it, but he did only score in two games last series in 7 games. The defense showed up basically every game.

Having three lines of great defense in front of a goalie who now a no doubt a franchise goalie makes us a feared team and a team that is going to be tough to play against. We can shut teams down by preventing shots - or if our defense does have a bad game (rarely), we have a goalie that can bail us out/win a game on his own too.

Forward lines are all still struggling offensively big time IMO - which is to be expected with the lack of talent/skill/consistency that is on the forward roster outside of Ovi/Bacstrom. However, at least most of the forwards that are very inconsistent and have been disappointing offensively (Brouwer/Laich/Ward/Chimera/etc) all at least show up and do a decent job in the defensive zone. When Johansson wasn't scoring he was even laying out hits last series. They all seemed to at least be beneficial in some way - which is important when you're a forward and are not scoring.

We are the type of team that will hardly ever win 3 or 4 games in a row (like we saw during the entire regular season), but we're also a team that is in every single game. When we lose we very rarely lose by more than a goal or two. The Caps are in almost every game in the third period.

Since we stink at scoring goals with these current lines - but are amazing at preventing goals with these current lines.... that equals another long series ahead of us. It's going to probably come down to a game 6 or 7 once again.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Regular season pretty clear the Rangers were the better team on the ice so going into this Caps have to be underdogs. That said the second round of the playoffs the difference narrows. One thing I noticed watching bits of Rangers games this years is they always seems so open in transition..not sure if it just because they are so fast or what. And they definitely seem to have the puck luck this year with scoring in a general sense. They did not look as good as I expected against the Pens as considering how depleted that team was they still made a game of it.

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
Regular season pretty clear the Rangers were the better team on the ice so going into this Caps have to be underdogs. That said the second round of the playoffs the difference narrows. One thing I noticed watching bits of Rangers games this years is they always seems so open in transition..not sure if it just because they are so fast or what. And they definitely seem to have the puck luck this year with scoring in a general sense. They did not look as good as I expected against the Pens as considering how depleted that team was they still made a game of it.

good call. imo it's the set plays. mostly blind but very well coordinated and executed. hope the caps team are all over stopping these plays from generating and turning them around for odd man rushes the other way

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Caps in 7. The Caps will wear down the Rangers gradually. Henrik will be great, as usual, but I think Holtby will be his equal.

The Refs will be one sided, as usual, with the Caps getting few PPs. :(

Chimera will be a big pain in the neck to the Rangers. :D

Caps need a split in the first two games and need to batter the Rangers. The softer Rangers will start to mail it in and it will become apparent soon enough.

I say winning Game one is key because the Caps regularly lay eggs in early games so Saturday will be very hard to win. :(

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They seem to think that they are an army and that the workload is distributed evenly throughout the lineup, I would think.

Time to break out the Borax, sugar and water. :naughty:

The full explanation is in our playoff avatar thread somewhere. The bottom line is a NYR fan dropped an Archer reference on them in last year's avatar discussion and they didn't get it. A year later they dug up the reference and used it, apparently still not getting the Archer reference.

That's what we were told, anyway.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
if Fehr can come back I'd like:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Ward
Johansson-Kuznetsov-Chimera
Burakovsky-Fehr-Brouwer
Laich-Beagle-Wilson

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I'm all set on late season Fehr. If he feels like coming back and playing his early season, puck hound hockey I'm on board.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
if Fehr can come back I'd like:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Ward
Johansson-Kuznetsov-Chimera
Burakovsky-Fehr-Brouwer
Laich-Beagle-Wilson

I like this...if Fehr is relatively healthy....I don't see how he could be in mid-season form but if he is healthy enough to play and a little rusty I still want him to play. I'm not sure he should have been playing before.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
This is a concerning fact.

California was referring to Holtby's relatively low save percentage vs. the Rangers so far this season I think.

I'd be interested in finding out if there were like a more-than-average number of goals allowed on Rangers odd-man rushes relative to Holtby's other opponents this year. No idea how to quickly figure that.

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Pens failed. You guys are up. Is there room on the bandwagon?

For the love of God I don't want 2015 as the second coming on 1994. Bounce those bozos.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think its more of a blip on the radar. Over 70+ games Holtby has had a .92+ sv pctg.

In the playoffs he ups his game to over .93. He has played well the last 2 series vs the Rangers overall and had a .94 sv pctg in rnd 1 vs the Isles.

I'm confident his play will be better in this series.

But the data you shared says his other season stats notwithstanding these Rags have had his number. Can he up his game for this series? Maybe, but to call it a blip is to ignore your own facts.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I'm actually looking forward to this series. Its gravy. If we lose, well its because they were the overall best team this year, and we already proved we were better this year then last. If we win, we just beat the best team and we have a legitimate shot at the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad