Series Talk: Round 1: Predators vs. Canucks

What will be the result of Preds vs. Cancuks series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I've made it downtown. It's about like a Saturday game right now.

It wasn't bad at all. It took 20 minutes from getting off Ellington to a Pinnacle parking spot, about 45 minutes total from leaving my house.
I mean it was 4 when you did, it's probably just now starting to build.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hey, great series guys. It was hard fought series. Respect Nashville for finding whatever adjustment they needed to make to try to win. Brunette is a great coach. We can tell he's applying whatever Jacque Lemaire did when he was a player under him. Anyways see you next season.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
We just need a few more vets. It's all about merit, after all.

It is about merit. Saying that means a vet is a fallacy.

Evangalista, technically a rookie this season, is trending in the right direction. Novak was that top six the team needed up to the injury then stagnated ... the team needs him on the 20g + pace he was on to finish last season and start this. Zucker might be a vet worth extending. Nyquist entered the season projected in the middle six then stepped up but is a candidate for a fall which leaves a spot for someone else to claim. Guys like Smith, McCarron and Jankowski are suitable for 13th forwards ... with Jankowski starting the last two seasons with the Ads.

Of the starting 12 forwards tonight, two are pending free agents that are quite possibly gone (Sherwood and Beauvillier) plus another two to three that are potentially Ads or pressbox fodder (Jankowski, McCarron, Smith) which leaves spots for youngsters to EARN ... key word, or FA moves. Barrie is almost definitely gone, Carrier is a great unknown ... Fabbro and Schenn are potentially beat out which leaves a couple spots on the blueline for youngsters to EARN.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Evangalista, technically a rookie this season, is trending in the right direction. Novak was that top six the team needed up to the injury then stagnated ... the team needs him on the 20g + pace he was on to finish last season and start this. Zucker might be a vet worth extending. Nyquist entered the season projected in the middle six then stepped up but is a candidate for a fall which leaves a spot for someone else to claim. Guys like Smith, McCarron and Jankowski are suitable for 13th forwards ... with Jankowski starting the last two seasons with the Ads.

Of the starting 12 forwards tonight, two are pending free agents that are quite possibly gone (Sherwood and Beauvillier) plus another two to three that are potentially Ads or pressbox fodder (Jankowski, McCarron, Smith) which leaves spots for youngsters to EARN ... key word, or FA moves. Barrie is almost definitely gone, Carrier is a great unknown ... Fabbro and Schenn are potentially beat out which leaves a couple spots on the blueline for youngsters to EARN.
Zucker's not a UFA? Shit, how did I miss that... Oh, nevermind, you discussed him above that.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro

But, but, but every prospect on the Admirals are better than anyone on the Preds roster. I may not have watched a single Admirals game but I know because I’ve seen several twitter videos of them. They deserve to be starters on the Nashville roster because I liked the twitter video clips I watched and they’re young.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
But, but, but every prospect on the Admirals are better than anyone on the Preds roster. I may not have watched a single Admirals game but I know because I’ve seen several twitter videos of them. They deserve to be starters on the Nashville roster because I liked the twitter video clips I watched and they’re young.

LOL

This team started the season with Foudy, Fagemo, Tomasino, Pärssinen, Glass all in the rotation of starters. Nyquist wasn't on the top line. Meritocracy changed that mix to the point only Glass stayed up all season. Gurianov got buried to start the season, called up, then traded for an AHL player to prevent losing him for nothing on the waiver wire in the days leading up to the TDL. We have a few kids in Milwaukee that MAY be ready to compete for spot this fall, we'll see. We have a few vets on near league minimum contracts that might get traded this summer or buried to start the season. It all comes down to NHL spots are earned. Fill a role, get the ice time, it is that simple.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I can't wait to see how many 30+ guys Trotz brings in here so we can finally pass Pittsburgh as the oldest team in the league. Maybe he eventually will find one of them that can teach the rest how to close out games.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
Hey, great series guys. It was hard fought series. Respect Nashville for finding whatever adjustment they needed to make to try to win. Brunette is a great coach. We can tell he's applying whatever Jacque Lemaire did when he was a player under him. Anyways see you next season.
Per de Jacque Lemaire style play system do not by Preds. You should feel the shame,

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
All I know is I feel so bad for our long suffering fans- myself included. I made a freaking 7 hour round trip from Birmingham for all 3 games

And all 3 were just brutal, gut wrenching, soul crushing defeats

I said last week that if the Preds were going to take it to game 6 and just completely devastate our poor fanbase once again then just go ahead and get it over with in game 5- and I wish they had of

6 straight home playoff losses. 4-11 in last 15. Just brutal

I sat in the stands tonight for 3 hours just dreading and waiting for something disastrous to happen- and it took awhile but of course it finally came

4 goals scored in 3 home games- just a complete and absolute fail

Im not buying at all defense or defensive breakdowns cost us series. We held them to 12 goals in 6 games. TWELVE goals!!! And they had fewer total SOG in first 5 games of series than any team in last 64 seasons!! That’s incredible and should have been enough to win series. Our inability to score cost us the series- period

But despite everything we easily could have won the series 4-2. And all we had to do was hold a 2 goal lead in final 3 freaking minutes we are at still headed to a game 7

Ugggghhh- just a complete and absolute fail- our fans deserve better

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
All I know is I feel so bad for our long suffering fans- myself included. I made a freaking 7 hour round trip from Birmingham for all 3 games

And all 3 were just brutal, gut wrenching, soul crushing defeats

I said last week that if the Preds were going to take it to game 6 and just completely devastate our poor fanbase once again then just go ahead and get it over with in game 5- and I wish they had of

6 straight home playoff losses. 4-11 in last 15. Just brutal

I sat in the stands tonight for 3 hours just dreading and waiting for something disastrous to happen- and it took awhile but of course it finally came

4 goals scored in 3 home games- just a complete and absolute fail

Im not buying at all defense or defensive breakdowns cost us series. We held them to 12 goals in 6 games. TWELVE goals!!! And they had fewer total SOG in first 5 games of series than any team in last 64 seasons!! That’s incredible and should have been enough to win series. Our inability to score cost us the series- period

But despite everything we easily could have won the series 4-2. And all we had to do was hold a 2 goal lead in final 3 freaking minutes we are at still headed to a game 7

Ugggghhh- just a complete and absolute fail- our fans deserve better
Well, we're a 1 line team. Secondary scoring was something between a fluke and a barely detectable heartbeat in the series.

Hats off to Vancouver's game plan. We rode our top line hard all series. They were able to counter it and often bottle it up playing defense in our zone for long extended shifts. As the series went on, our top line was less and less of a threat, seemed to just hang on, and be running on fumes. For example, our 4 minute PP in the first period looked like the guys were catching a breather and just playing hot potato between stationary pylons.

The fact that our coaches never switched it up with the top line wasn't exactly great. If there hadn't been the illnesses and Stastney going down, we might have rolled out the same lineup and lines the entire time. Few adjustments. One adjustment that does come to mind was that they used Barrie on PP1 in game 5 and then Carrier took his spot in game 6.

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Well, we're a 1 line team. Secondary scoring is something between a fluke and a barely detectable heartbeat.

Hats off to the Vancouver's game plan. We rode the top line hard all series. They were able to counter it and often bottle it up playing defense in our zone for long extended shifts. As the series went on, our top line was less and less of a threat, seemed to just hang on, and be running on fumes. For example, our 4 minute PP in the first period looked like the guys were catching a breather and just playing hot potato between stationary pylons.

The fact that our coaches never switched it up with the top line wasn't exactly great. If there hadn't been the illnesses and Stastney going down, we might have rolled out the same lineup and lines the entire time. Few adjustments. One adjustment that does come to mind was that they used Barrie on PP1 in game 5 and then Carrier took his spot in game 6.
The one line team issue was something I’ve been concerned about all season with how we decided to stack that top line. If we’re going to put our best and most experienced players together than they have to be able to outperform the other teams top line and for most of this series they got majorly outplayed by the Miller line. That’s not to say the other lines don’t share responsibility but the biggest delta in goals was top line versus top line not depth versus depth.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The one line team issue was something I’ve been concerned about all season with how we decided to stack that top line. If we’re going to put our best and most experienced players together than they have to be able to outperform the other teams top line and for most of this series they got majorly outplayed by the Miller line. That’s not to say the other lines don’t share responsibility but the biggest delta in goals was top line versus top line not depth versus depth.
You can add Josi as well. Those 4 had 5 goals in 6 games. The rest of the team outscored them but was only 7 goals in 6 games. Our top line was a combined -4. Our "energy" line was a combined -6 in the series. Outside of Jason Zucker and Colton Sissons, no one had a +/- above 1 for the 6 games. The stats are pretty ugly to look at.

Reactions: hido

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Well, we're a 1 line team. Secondary scoring was something between a fluke and a barely detectable heartbeat in the series.

Hats off to Vancouver's game plan. We rode our top line hard all series. They were able to counter it and often bottle it up playing defense in our zone for long extended shifts. As the series went on, our top line was less and less of a threat, seemed to just hang on, and be running on fumes. For example, our 4 minute PP in the first period looked like the guys were catching a breather and just playing hot potato between stationary pylons.

I don’t disagree with anything you say here- the one line issue is completely valid and definitely a huge issue. But I still say- we held them to 12 goals in 6 games and were facing a minor league goalie. Whatever our issues were we should have won that series- or at the very least be playing a game 7 tomorrow. Just a fail all around

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Speaking of the backup goalie, we have a bit of a history of making backup goalies look like instant hall-of-famers in recent years.

It won't be much of a surprise to some of us if McDavid and Draisaitl light the Silovs kid up in the next round.

Reactions: originalpredfan

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Speaking of the backup goalie, we have a bit of a history of making backup goalies look like instant hall-of-famers in recent years.

It won't be much of a surprise to some of us if McDavid and Draisaitl light the Silovs kid up in the next round.
Next series for Vancouver will definitely be interesting. To some extent it will reveal if this was a well played series between two teams playing great defense or a sloppy series with two teams that couldn’t generate offense.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Stole this from Reddit but it’s crazy how this series came down to which team could stop the other with six seconds left in the game.

1714831043559.jpeg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Talk about a picture is worth a 1,000 words. This is the classic example.
Main contrast is that the Preds went down around the faceoff circle, leaving 3 Canucks on 1 Dman with Nyqvist who got his ankles broken by Hughes on the deke trying to come back down. Van, had 3 guys down around the paint going down.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
They do not get a pass, but, They KNOW they blew it...and enough of this core will be back that the taste will still be in enough mouths that I think they take the step next year to be competitive from the rip. I actually have a little faith in Trotz after the most successful TDL of players being useful in the playoffs in recent memory. If he trades the ones that don't fit for ones that do and drafts what he wants we will get the team that is competitive consistently where your window never truly closes you just have off years
The difference in the playoffs is everyone is relentless...it's who blinks first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad