Series Talk: Round 1: Predators vs. Canucks

What will be the result of Preds vs. Cancuks series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If my research is correct we have now lost 5 in a row.

0-2 this year
0-2 against Colorado two years ago
lost the last game against Carolina after winning 2 home OT games

Overall, going back to the Winnipeg series in 2018, we are 4-11 at home

6-12 at home since the Cup run season.

Pretty depressing. I know our fanbase gets some grief for the atmosphere not being as great as it used to be but good gracious there has been pretty much nothing but misery in Bridgestone since that Cup run- hard to blame fans for being gunshy about getting fired up
I don't really blame them. Outside of about a year span 7 years ago, this club is the prototype for the "just happy to be here" 5 games and out playoff bubble team. Why get excited and let yourself believe something that is inevitable to not happen.

And now owner of two of the worst late-game playoff collapses in the past 10 years.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Canucks fan here come in peace.

I think the only issue was blown coverage.

On the tying goal, 17 went with 90 to Pettersson at the point when one player was already out of the play sliding into the neutral zone. Miller was hiding by the boards out of play since the puck was sent to the line earlier, and he wasn't spotted. Else 17 should have stuck with Miller or atleast not chase the puck like that.

3 Canucks were left surrounding Saros, inexcusable, even if one Pred was there, to tie up the 40 goal scoring Boeser, the game would have been over.

OT goal, #9 on Predators was hoping the puck would bounce out and he could go on the offense, leaving his man alone. This is karma for the kick in goal. You just can't do that in playoffs over time.

Reactions: weeze

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It didn't surprise me at all but maybe the most frustrating thing is that we came out in OT completely lifeless. The group that gave up the goal was Schenn-McDonagh-Forsberg-O'Reilly-Nyquist. 4/5 of those guys were brought in as the supposed "serial winners" who would show our young guys how to play hard all the time. Instead they looked like they had straight given up and were just ready to go home.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Canucks fan here come in peace.

I think the only issue was blown coverage.

On the tying goal, 17 went with 90 to Pettersson at the point when one player was already out of the play sliding into the neutral zone. Miller was hiding by the boards out of play since the puck was sent to the line earlier, and he wasn't spotted. Else 17 should have stuck with Miller or atleast not chase the puck like that.

3 Canucks were left surrounding Saros, inexcusable, even if one Pred was there, to tie up the 40 goal scoring Boeser, the game would have been over.

OT goal, #9 on Predators was hoping the puck would bounce out and he could go on the offense, leaving his man alone. This is karma for the kick in goal. You just can't do that in playoffs over time.
We're not interested, "coming in peace" or not. Going into the other team's thread after a result like that should be a real obvious thing to not do.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
It didn't surprise me at all but maybe the most frustrating thing is that we came out in OT completely lifeless. The group that gave up the goal was Schenn-McDonagh-Forsberg-O'Reilly-Nyquist. 4/5 of those guys were brought in as the supposed "serial winners" who would show our young guys how to play hard all the time. Instead they looked like they had straight given up and were just ready to go home.
Yep- and it didn't surprise me one bit either. After the way we blew that game I didn't think there was any way we were going to win that game. We were completely cooked and emotionally drained.

Looking back, I am just glad it ended quickly. Would have been even more miserable if we had to sit through 2 or 3 OT's and THEN lose.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
I always complain to myself about how Preds never get National coverage. Well be careful what you ask for, because we are getting it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bdub24

Loyal Legion

Nov 24, 2019
If my research is correct we have now lost 5 in a row.

0-2 this year
0-2 against Colorado two years ago
lost the last game against Carolina after winning 2 home OT games

Overall, going back to the Winnipeg series in 2018, we are 4-11 at home

6-12 at home since the Cup run season.

Pretty depressing. I know our fanbase gets some grief for the atmosphere not being as great as it used to be but good gracious there has been pretty much nothing but misery in Bridgestone since that Cup run- hard to blame fans for being gunshy about getting fired up
Our crowd was plenty loud yesterday. We are effective as the 7th man but the 1st-6th men that are on the ice have to do their part. They didn’t.

We give up a goal on the first shot both games, was atrocious on the powerplay AGAIN and only gave up less than 30 shots in BOTH games and lost them both.

And now the torment of coughing up another 2 goal lead that has plagued this team all season, but this time on the biggest stage.

Inexcusebale.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Just saying...maybe this turns out to be U2 redux...and Zadorov as Carrier replacment in the offseason

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It is true that the series isn't over. I have pretty low expectations but my expectations for the rest of the season were even lower after that Dallas game so you never know. In any case, I think this next game will be very telling about the future of this team. If we get blown out it's going to be a very long offseason with a lot of questions for Brunette and the vets even if they "overachieved" in the regular season.

To add to this one interesting thing I learned from perusing the Canucks board is that Brunette was on the 02-03 Wild team that came back from a 1-3 deficit to beat the Canucks. Just looking through the box scores there are actually a lot of similarities between how this series has gone and how that one went. Probably meaningless but still interesting nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Softball99

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Still not over that game.

Wet did all the things we were supposed to do. Controlled the game, had a lead, stayed out of the penalty box and still got f***ed over by a special teams situation.

This team will either squeak out a 2-1 or 3-2 win or lose 5-0, there's no in between with them. I remember when we played them in 2011, (this series is following the exact same pattern) before game 5 Trotz said we know we're going back on a plane to Nashville, let's make sure Vancouver is coming, too.

My heart says they can easily come back, but my head says they're done.

Reactions: bdub24

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Still not over that game.
I am not sure I ever will. I've been a die hard sports fan for a LONG time and that is right up there near the top of the worst losses in my lifetime of being a sports fan

What hurts so bad is had we won that game 4-1 or 4-2 with an empty net goal, I think we win the series. We were clearly the better team in both home games and with their goalie situation they would have been absolutely reeling going back to Vancouver. It was probably our best home playoff performance in years and the fans would have been rewarded for a great atmosphere all day.

Instead? All ruined and now there will be nothing but negative vibes going into the offseason. Just awful, awful, awful

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'm surprised at how many people could actually see the GDT tbh. I was surprised how many comments there were lol.

I'm still extremely frustrated by this team and that collapse. We could easily be up 3-1 in the series and instead we are very likely to lose 4-1. I know this season is like finding a $20 in your sofa, but we had them where we wanted them not once, but twice... and we let them off the hook.

I know Edmonton would've blown us up, but at least win one series... brutal.

Not sure why Fabbro hasn't been playing more this season but boy, was he a welcome addition. Him and Barrie should be in for next game... get Carrier off the ice.

Reactions: bdub24 and weeze

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I'm surprised at how many people could actually see the GDT tbh. I was surprised how many comments there were lol.

I'm still extremely frustrated by this team and that collapse. We could easily be up 3-1 in the series and instead we are very likely to lose 4-1. I know this season is like finding a $20 in your sofa, but we had them where we wanted them not once, but twice... and we let them off the hook.

I know Edmonton would've blown us up, but at least win one series... brutal.

Not sure why Fabbro hasn't been playing more this season but boy, was he a welcome addition. Him and Barrie should be in for next game... get Carrier off the ice.
I get the $20 analogy but the problem is we didn't really find out anything about the future of this team.

Also no way I want to see Barrie over Carrier. Not a chance.

Reactions: Armourboy

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I don't think it's difficult to decide what to do with any of the FAs, UFA or RFA.

Qualify and sign Parssinen, Stastney, Tomasino, Afanaseyev, and Del Gaizo - and find places for them on the team. (Or in the case of Tomasino, could include him in a trade if you're permanently convinced he won't ever take the next step).

Don't qualify Anderson-Dolan, Alison, Foudy, Wilsby (or Grigals). Foudy has been decent in Milwaukee, Anderson-Dolan probably would be too, Wilsby is too, but seems to have topped out. Depending on what the lineup looks like for the Ads, could bring any of these guys back, but it doesn't have to be via qualified contract. They might want to shop around for better openings, or in the case of Wilsby go back to Sweden.

Barrie obviously walks. I'd let Carrier go too... he's a passable NHL defender but is just massively overrated by our coaching staff, and just not a good fit for our mix right now given the types of D we have in the system atm to promote. I don't think it will help our mix or the development of our incoming D to have them slotted for many years behind Carrier on a 4x$4M or whatever type of deal the organization seems to view him as being worthy of. Let him get that contract somewhere else. I'd take Sherwood back, but 3 out of him Smith, McCarron, Jankowski would be starting in Milwaukee if they cleared waivers. Beauvillier can take a hike. Zucker has been decent, but I wouldn't pay him what he's used to... something like 2x$2.5M would be the limit of my interest in him.

Weatherby, Gross, and McKeown can walk from the farm team. We need to find better NHL defenders, and we have Ufko, Hanzel, Matier, and Prokop who need to play regularly in the AHL. Gravel is already back as the veteran down there. Livingstone will still be there. It may not bode as well for the Ads staying at the top, so maybe one of Gross/McKeown/Wilsby could stick around or another veteran FA hired, but just 1.

Goaltending is where things will really be interesting. Let's see how Askarov fares in the AHL playoffs. I'm sure tons of speculation in our off-season will center on what to do with Saros. Which then impacts what we do with Lankinen. If we traded Saros we'd want to keep Lankinen to run with Askarov. Assuming we promote Askarov, do they see enough in Haider to play him in the AHL instead of ECHL while keeping Grosenick? Do we just run Saros+Askarov and punt that question down the road? I have an easy answer for what to do with all of our other UFAs and RFAs, but goaltending is going to be everybody's question mark. And will have its own dedicated threads again I'm sure.
Sounds reasonable and not much I'd quibble with. I'd only add that underlying the take about uncertainty is that we're under new management, some of the moves this season have gone against the grain (unpredictable), and the sort of crushing losses in this playoffs aren't conducive to a GM wanting to rewind it and play it again. If Trotz is true to his vision, the roster turnover may actually accelerate. :dunno:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I know we’re still technically in it, but the writing is on the wall. This was a winnable series and we pissed it away. Bunch of chokers.
Sadly, I think it is the franchise DNA at this point. We are about to lose our 17th of 24 playoff series, for a .291 all-time series percentage. The only teams worse are Winnipeg, Columbus, Minnesota, and Arizona--adding insult injury, 2 of Arizona's 5 series wins and 1 of Winnipeg's 3 came against us. I'm sorry, but that's pathetic.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I get the $20 analogy but the problem is we didn't really find out anything about the future of this team.

Also no way I want to see Barrie over Carrier. Not a chance.
I have a very hard time with the whole “we didn’t find out anything about the future of this team” argument.

Defensively, we know Fabbro won’t be here long. Trotz doesn’t like Carrier enough to offer him an extension. Barrie won’t be here after this season. Stastney is the real deal and will make next year’s roster. Trotz will fill holes via trade or free agency.

Offensively, we know Tomasino is incapable of playing Brunette’s system at the level needed. Evangelista is the only young guy that’s good enough to take a roster spot and keep it, he has also shown that he’s got a lot of upside as he grows. Forsberg is a legit goal scorer. Novak may be a decent player but he’s not good enough to be a second line center and isn’t capable of playoff hockey. O’Reilly and Nyquist are good signings. The team is lacking true scoring depth and will have to be addressed in the offseason. The only question mark for the season was the handling of Parsinenn and Brunette has acknowledged that he made a mistake with that situation.

We also found out that Saros is a good goalie, not great, just good.

What else are you looking for? Trotz stated it was going to take 3 years to get the roster straightened out. This was year one and the team has made strides in the right direction. I’d expect an offseason of hockey trades and signings that will help make the team incrementally better next year. Rinse and repeat the year after that.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Sadly, I think it is the franchise DNA at this point. We are about to lose our 17th of 24 playoff series, for a .291 all-time series percentage. The only teams worse are Winnipeg, Columbus, Minnesota, and Arizona--adding insult injury, 2 of Arizona's 5 series wins and 1 of Winnipeg's 3 came against us. I'm sorry, but that's pathetic.
You’re referring to the DNA of the organization under Poile.

The DNA of the organization under Trotz doesn’t exist yet. Trotz is still trying to create a roster that has the DNA he wants it to have and he has only had one Draft and one TDL to do it.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I have a very hard time with the whole “we didn’t find out anything about the future of this team” argument.

Defensively, we know Fabbro won’t be here long. Trotz doesn’t like Carrier enough to offer him an extension. Barrie won’t be here after this season. Stastney is the real deal and will make next year’s roster. Trotz will fill holes via trade or free agency.

Offensively, we know Tomasino is incapable of playing Brunette’s system at the level needed. Evangelista is the only young guy that’s good enough to take a roster spot and keep it, he has also shown that he’s got a lot of upside as he grows. Forsberg is a legit goal scorer. Novak may be a decent player but he’s not good enough to be a second line center and isn’t capable of playoff hockey. O’Reilly and Nyquist are good signings. The team is lacking true scoring depth and will have to be addressed in the offseason. The only question mark for the season was the handling of Parsinenn and Brunette has acknowledged that he made a mistake with that situation.

We also found out that Saros is a good goalie, not great, just good.

What else are you looking for? Trotz stated it was going to take 3 years to get the roster straightened out. This was year one and the team has made strides in the right direction. I’d expect an offseason of hockey trades and signings that will help make the team incrementally better next year. Rinse and repeat the year after that.
Problem with that assessment is that no one else really got a shot outside of Parssinen and Tomasino. One got screwed by the coach, the other may not be a fit, but even a guy like Afanasyev who earned a longer look didn't get one.

I feel like we should have been getting guys games from Milwaukee, even if it was a short stint, just to let them get a taste of how things are. We wasted time on guys like Foudy and Fagemo but didn't really do something similar with the guys we already had.

Reactions: hockey diva
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad