Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
You might want to go back and take a gander at the scouting reports and the relevant threads when Laughton was drafted. If memory serves, the name Mike Richards was bandied about as a comparison.

And now I'm wondering, do Briere & Co. think they have a potential Richie on their hands?

Only thing I can hang onto is that he's young for his draft class. Maybe he surprises next year and pops.
they traded Richards, then spent the next several drafts trying to replicate him. It was stupid.

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
Just watched a bunch of highlights on youtube. The biggest thing that stood out was his passing. He thread a lot of no look passes through to guys for easy tap in goals. I bet though what got Flahr on notice was that he absolutely destroyed the combine.

Pro Agility – Right Time (sec): 4.23 (t-2nd)
Mean Power Output (watts/kg): 12.9 (1st)
Peak Power Output (watts/kg): 16.2 (21st)
Fatigue Index: 42.3 (7th)
Juhasz % Body Fat: 7.2 (t-7th)
Vertical Jump (inches): 24.63 (2nd)
Squat Jump (inches): 18 (8th)
No Arm Jump (inches): 21.11 (4th)
Left Hand Grip (lbs): 172 (1st)
Right Hand Grip (lbs): 175 (1st)

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Just watched a bunch of highlights on youtube. The biggest thing that stood out was his passing. He thread a lot of no look passes through to guys for easy tap in goals. I bet though what got Flahr on notice was that he absolutely destroyed the combine.

Well he’ll be fantastic for the circle jerk, so there’s that

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Honest question because I have no idea, does this stuff translate well to NHL projectability?

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

He’s not Laughton. Obviously he has speed. He has very good vision and accuracy with passing. I think he will do very well with Michkov. Much better than a power forward type. That first highlight was very nice. I think if he keeps pushing creativity he will be higher next year on redrafts.

Reactions: Devonator

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
This is what I don't understand. We're not short of above average defensive forwards, or 2nd pairing defenseman. We lack true star power all over the lineup. We had a chance at 12 to take a real chance at a potential star defenseman, I don't understand why we have played it safe here.
A franchise that desperately needs to swing for home run picks, and Danny Briere squared to bunt.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
This is what I don't understand. We're not short of above average defensive forwards, or 2nd pairing defenseman. We lack true star power all over the lineup. We had a chance at 12 to take a real chance at a potential star defenseman, I don't understand why we have played it safe here.
Because the organization overvalues safe. They overvalue playing the right way. They overvalue floor. They overvalue grit. They overvalue everything but the one thing you really should: talent.

Briere is Fletcher. Fletcher is Hextall. Hextall is Holmgren. And they are all Clarke. That's overstating it, but on some level it's fundamentally true, and why there's so little hope to be found here.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

He’s not Laughton. Obviously he has speed. He has very good vision and accuracy with passing. I think he will do very well with Michkov. Much better than a power forward type. That first highlight was very nice. I think if he keeps pushing creativity he will be higher next year on redrafts.

Not that I think Luchanko will bust or that he as a player is bad or anything, but everyone jumping at the bit to say this player is not Laughton doesn't remember the scouting report on Scotty at the time he was drafted:

"Analysis: A worst-case scenario would see Laughton maxing out as an effective two-way, third-line center with great penalty-killing capabilities. What is more likely is that Scott Laughton will be a second-line center with solid offensive upside or a go-to defensive forward."

Now, I get that people are saying Jett won't become what Laughton is now, but just remember that Laughton was hyped as becoming more than his is now too and look what he turned into.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Kind of think he could put up 50 assists and 25 goals with Michkov.

And I think he will be kind of the perfect fit with Michkov. I could see them drafting for position need and fit.

Yeah, I’ll say I’m not a fan.

But this doesn’t seem like a floor pick. You have a physical specimen with a high IQ. Those two traits seem like they scream high end.

This feels more like a swing pick than a safe one.

I just don’t think this risk was appropriate given who was available.

• Wow
Reactions: orangey

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
As soon as we're talking combine testing data for the 13th pick, non-specific "hockey IQ" praise, leadership quotes, and not the actual hockey shift footage, we're huffing away:

1632404585833-png.2751463

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Not that I think Luchanko will bust or that he as a player is bad or anything, but everyone jumping at the bit to say this player is not Laughton doesn't remember the scouting report on Scotty at the time he was drafted:

"Analysis: A worst-case scenario would see Laughton maxing out as an effective two-way, third-line center with great penalty-killing capabilities. What is more likely is that Scott Laughton will be a second-line center with solid offensive upside or a go-to defensive forward."

Now, I get that people are saying Jett won't become what Laughton is now, but just remember that Laughton was hyped as becoming more than his is now too and look what he turned into.
Laughton’s highlights from his 2013 season look more like a power-forward to me. You can see the clunkiness to his game that is still there today. He has little creativity, vision, or speed. Jett has those over Laughton. Jett’s vision is pretty impressive. He makes tape to tape passes across ice and to dangerous spots. Not something you’ve seen from a Flyer in sometime.

I could see him taking a big step forward next year. Since was so close to being pushed to the next years draft, that’s a bigger deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad