Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Flahr is the gift that keeps on giving from the Fletcher Era. You can draw a direct line from bypassing Boldy for York+ to drafting Gauthier at center to drafting Bonk at RHD to trading Gauthier for a RHD to needing to get a "fit pick" center at #12/13 with an elite defender falling magically to them.

People snickered when we read between the lines that this team drafts for fit with high value picks. Well, Briere admitted it like the dope he's proven to be. It's a horror show of team building with a triumvirate managerial team of a first time GM protege of Fletcher/Homer, Fletcher's BFF, and a TV color commentator with 1990s opinions. Every time this team tells you they need their MacKinnon or Kucherov, just pretend it's the South Park episode where all Stan hears is defecating noises.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Flahr is the gift that keeps on giving from the Fletcher Era. You can draw a direct line from bypassing Boldy for York+ to drafting Gauthier at center to drafting Bonk at RHD to trading Gauthier for a RHD to needing to get a "fit pick" center at #12/13 with an elite defender falling magically to them.

People snickered when we read between the lines that this team drafts for fit with high value picks. Well, Briere admitted it like the dope he's proven to be. It's a horror show of team building with a triumvirate managerial team of a first time GM protege of Fletcher/Homer, Fletcher's BFF, and a TV color commentator with 1990s opinions. Every time this team tells you they need their MacKinnon or Kucherov, just pretend it's the South Park episode where all Stan hears is defecating noises.

They could have Michkov, Gauthier, and Buium and instead have Michkov, Drysdale, and Luchanko. Pretty amazing. Its very Sixers like. They lucked into Embiid due to injury but botched the majority of the picks around him so he hasnt had the support to win.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They could have Michkov, Gauthier, and Buium and instead have Michkov, Drysdale, and Luchanko. Pretty amazing. Its very Sixers like. They lucked into Embiid due to injury but botched the majority of the picks around him so he hasnt had the support to win.
Morey definitely would not have passed on Buium. I know that much. :laugh:

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Screenshot_20240628_222507_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
My gut says they should have just taken Buium.

Here's Brock Otten's review, focuses on OHL Prospects. Had Jett 5th after Dickinson, Parekh, Sennecke and Greentree.

Final Media/Scout Poll for the 2024 NHL Draft

5. Jett Luchanko - Center - Guelph Storm
Highest Ranking: 2nd (1x)
Lowest Ranking: 6th (4x)
Total Votes: 12
Comments:
“Has gotten better all year. Started the year off the radar because of injuries last year but has been incredible. Plays fast, high hockey IQ and will be able to play up and down your lineup.” - Mark Seidel

“ Could be the next Easton Cowan, thanks to the similarities in their game (not to mention their frames). Luchanko was great at the world under-18s and brings a lot of smarts and a great motor to the table.” - Ryan Kennedy

“Glad I listened to you pump his tires, Brock. Took me a while to see the vision with Luchanko, but it’s there. His athleticism, defensive game and skating are impossible to ignore — he’s a fluid and explosive carrier with some of the best defensive stickwork among forwards in the entire draft. But I was looking for at least one puck skill around which he could build an offensive game, and I think he’s got that in his playmaking savvy. He reads the game two steps ahead, finds players in space with area passes, and has an innate sense of timing. He’s the ultimate facilitator — a player who will uplift his teammates on any line. I don’t see the top-six upside, but he’s got NHL tools for days.” - Hadi Kalakeche

“A big riser throughout the season, Jett Luchanko really stood out on a struggling Guelph Storm team as the main producer and play driver. He led the team in scoring with 74 points, but it’s his well-defined, 200-foot game that instantly stands out. Luchanko’s a complete and competitive centreman with great situational awareness on both sides of the puck. He has shown flashes of brilliance with his playmaking, timing and ability to pick off plays or catch opponents off guard with his positioning and smarts. He’s constantly scanning the ice and reading the play very well as it unfolds in order to force mistakes and regain possession. He’s been one of my favourite players early on in the season and still is to this point.” - Peter Baracchini

“Luchanko is an elite skater with excellent speed and agility. His quick first steps, top-end speed, and ability to separate give him an edge. Luchanko also possesses sharp edge work that allows him to change direction and maneuver in full flight. He can slow down or accelerate to create space for himself or teammates. While speed and skating skills are assets, hockey sense is crucial to utilize them fully. Fortunately, Luchanko has hockey intelligence to complement his skating talents.” - Dominic Tiano

“Jett possesses the most elite combination of skating and smarts of all draft eligibles from Ontario this season, and these are most valuable to my scouting views. Jett may not be the biggest player on the ice, but the opposition is always aware of his presence from his physical play and high competitive level. I see a ceiling of a Brayden Point-type player at the pro level for Luchenko.” - Chase Rochon
It’s funny you read these and you wonder how he fell to 12! Seriously, they talk speed and athleticism. I read a few posters saying he has neither.

Reactions: BernieParent

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

This is the saddest Flyer shit I've read in a while having it typed like that. That would actually be a decent core, or pieces of one to be excited about.

Damn. That's a gut shot

There are people out there that support this though, it's wild to me.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Yeah the age is definitely something. Say what you want about passing on Buium (no really, say it. It all needs to be said), but there is legitimate upside here. Helenius was likely the safer pick if they were dead set on going this route.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad