Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
If the board had shaken out with Buium gone, and the choice was Helenius vs. Luchanko, I’d be disappointed but could get on board with it. I don’t mind the player, and think there could be more upside than he’s getting credit for — I’ll be cheering for him, seems like an easy guy to like — but you just have to take Buium there. I don’t understand what they didn’t see in him.

His likeliest outcome, imo, is a Laughton-type player. I think there’s a chance he becomes something more, even a core contributor, but you have to ask yourself what Buium’s distribution of outcomes looks like. What Buium becomes in his upside case is just too great.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
My gut says they should have just taken Buium.

Here's Brock Otten's review, focuses on OHL Prospects. Had Jett 5th after Dickinson, Parekh, Sennecke and Greentree.

Final Media/Scout Poll for the 2024 NHL Draft

5. Jett Luchanko - Center - Guelph Storm
Highest Ranking: 2nd (1x)
Lowest Ranking: 6th (4x)
Total Votes: 12
Comments:
“Has gotten better all year. Started the year off the radar because of injuries last year but has been incredible. Plays fast, high hockey IQ and will be able to play up and down your lineup.” - Mark Seidel

“ Could be the next Easton Cowan, thanks to the similarities in their game (not to mention their frames). Luchanko was great at the world under-18s and brings a lot of smarts and a great motor to the table.” - Ryan Kennedy

“Glad I listened to you pump his tires, Brock. Took me a while to see the vision with Luchanko, but it’s there. His athleticism, defensive game and skating are impossible to ignore — he’s a fluid and explosive carrier with some of the best defensive stickwork among forwards in the entire draft. But I was looking for at least one puck skill around which he could build an offensive game, and I think he’s got that in his playmaking savvy. He reads the game two steps ahead, finds players in space with area passes, and has an innate sense of timing. He’s the ultimate facilitator — a player who will uplift his teammates on any line. I don’t see the top-six upside, but he’s got NHL tools for days.” - Hadi Kalakeche

“A big riser throughout the season, Jett Luchanko really stood out on a struggling Guelph Storm team as the main producer and play driver. He led the team in scoring with 74 points, but it’s his well-defined, 200-foot game that instantly stands out. Luchanko’s a complete and competitive centreman with great situational awareness on both sides of the puck. He has shown flashes of brilliance with his playmaking, timing and ability to pick off plays or catch opponents off guard with his positioning and smarts. He’s constantly scanning the ice and reading the play very well as it unfolds in order to force mistakes and regain possession. He’s been one of my favourite players early on in the season and still is to this point.” - Peter Baracchini

“Luchanko is an elite skater with excellent speed and agility. His quick first steps, top-end speed, and ability to separate give him an edge. Luchanko also possesses sharp edge work that allows him to change direction and maneuver in full flight. He can slow down or accelerate to create space for himself or teammates. While speed and skating skills are assets, hockey sense is crucial to utilize them fully. Fortunately, Luchanko has hockey intelligence to complement his skating talents.” - Dominic Tiano

“Jett possesses the most elite combination of skating and smarts of all draft eligibles from Ontario this season, and these are most valuable to my scouting views. Jett may not be the biggest player on the ice, but the opposition is always aware of his presence from his physical play and high competitive level. I see a ceiling of a Brayden Point-type player at the pro level for Luchenko.” - Chase Rochon

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
It is not the kids fault. Im not an expert on him and I hope he gets the chance to show out with Michkov.

But f*** me Zeev was right there. It is just poor asset management and value. If Zeev wasn't there? I could do enough mental gymnastics to justifying it.

FWIW, I do think the league likes Luchanko more than Eiserman. He was probably always getting drafted before him bet.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Torts has absolutely nothing to do with the draft. Even Cuck stated that in the studio. This is just a lazy take for a pick you don't like.
It's funny that people actually believe that, especially if Fletcher is saying it. He has no idea what is going on with the Flyers now...he didn't even have any clue as to what was going on when he was still GM

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Boldy, Buium, Robertson, Stankoven, Perreault. It's honestly good company.

Let's say Luchanko absolutely hits.......and you have a middle 6 center. How does this team achieve critical mass in forming an elite core? They traded a 5th overall for Drysdale. They don't want to trade any impact players to get worse. How do they get there?

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
This is also why I f***ing wanted them to tank. Yeah there is risk they go off the board even there, but less of one.

You give these f***ing morons one chance to try to act smarter than the league, and they will always take it.

It hurts, but honestly why should I be surprised. The same assholes that brought us the Ristolainen deal, drafting primarily every slow skating vanilla mother f***er they could find, and about to give TK a mega deal.. They never get fired. Throw some god damn jerseys on the ice.

I for some reason follow a team who's primary fanbase eats drywall for breakfast, and swoons over 1998 Mustang Convertibles. Trailer park fanbase, and a trailer park franchise.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

“Depth” isn’t the word I like to hear about a first round pick. But, frankly, I haven’t seen a single play from this kid and I am by no means an expert on any of these prospects. So I’ll just cross my fingers it works out.
Please kill me. The logic behind these picks is just so f***ed.

This type of process is not what even half competent organizations do. Let alone the premier ones.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I think a lot of the things being thrown around surrounding this kid seem unfair. Laughton wouldn't even be a bad outcome (though that seems more like a floor than a ceiling); hilariously enough his scouting report scans more like a faster version of Morgan Frost.

I am VERY interested as to why they didn't view Buium in the same light as everyone else. The NCAA factor?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Tbf to Luchanko... he is more similar in terms of ability level in draft year to say Frost.

And he probably does have ~60-70 point upside if things go very, very well.

This is not Jay O'Brien.

But for me? A guy you take 20-25 in this draft.

So what you're telling me is that he'll be scratched for no reason fast and often?

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Boldy, Buium, Robertson, Stankoven, Perreault. It's honestly good company.

Let's say Luchanko absolutely hits.......and you have a middle 6 center. How does this team achieve critical mass in forming an elite core? They traded a 5th overall for Drysdale. They don't want to trade any impact players to get worse. How do they get there?
This is what I don't understand. We're not short of above average defensive forwards, or 2nd pairing defenseman. We lack true star power all over the lineup. We had a chance at 12 to take a real chance at a potential star defenseman, I don't understand why we have played it safe here.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

“Depth” isn’t the word I like to hear about a first round pick. But, frankly, I haven’t seen a single play from this kid and I am by no means an expert on any of these prospects. So I’ll just cross my fingers it works out.

This quote right here is what people mean when they say the process is more important than the pick. That is heralding inevitable doom.

You could be the 5th best run team in the NHL if you just stopped doing the completely brain dead stuff.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I think a lot of the things being thrown around surrounding this kid seem unfair. Laughton wouldn't even be a bad outcome (though that seems more like a floor than a ceiling); hilariously enough his scouting report scans more like a faster version of Morgan Frost.

I am VERY interested as to why they didn't view Buium in the same light as everyone else. The NCAA factor?
This team Hates Morgan Frost and does everything in their power to make his life miserable. And are probably about to trade him for pennies on the dollars.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Torts pick through and through. Will be a 4th liner at best. f*** this team. What an embarrassment. I'm so mad I hope Michkov asks for a trade.
bet he doesnt even crack the nhl lineup

seems like a nothing pick on nothing kid.

when all the pundits can say about him is "hes a hockey player"

you know you just drafted an absolute floor of a pick

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

You'll notice a trend. They said the same thing about Bonk last year. It's a vicious cycle.

Take BPA, especially when you have multiple early picks in the same draft. The shit sorts itself out.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
This quote right here is what people mean when they say the process is more important than the pick. That is heralding inevitable doom.

You could be the 5th best run team in the NHL if you just stopped doing the completely brain dead stuff.
I'm starting to think that my thoughts about how this organization is run aren't just confirmation bias.

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
they saw luchanko's work with namesnikov with Guelph and see him doing exactly that with Michkov in 2 or 3 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad