Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Oh absolutely, not denying he doesn't have a deceptively good shot, but i was just surprised they focused on that to discus him haha.
Seems like this is consensus (for a good reason) here. When I think of a goal scorer rather than playmaker among top players - I think of someone whose goal/assist is close to 1, while playmaker is probably approaches 0.5. However, keeping assist stat to the side, if for example someone saw Panarin being able to easily score 30 goal and in his career year getting one goal shy to 50 - he should be considered a serious goal-scorer (in ADDITION to playmaker).

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Seems like this is consensus (for a good reason) here. When I think of a goal scorer rather than playmaker among top players - I think of someone whose goal/assist is close to 1, while playmaker is probably approaches 0.5. However, keeping assist stat to the side, if for example someone saw Panarin being able to easily score 30 goal and in his career year getting one goal shy to 50 - he should be considered a serious goal-scorer (in ADDITION to playmaker).

Agree 100%, but the one thing that I would add is that when we are looking at prospects there is an element of projectability for each of those offensive skills that has to be considered.

And Perreault's playmaking looks undeniably projectable. He's going to make his linemates more dangerous in the NHL, there should be zero doubt. Will he be able to score at a 30 goal pace though? There's certainly wiggle room for opinions there.

Seems like any prospect writer in the media that is fixating on the latter, likely just looked up his stats, seen how much he scored as part of the US National team, and formed their opinion entirely on that.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Agree 100%, but the one thing that I would add is that when we are looking at prospects there is an element of projectability for each of those offensive skills that has to be considered.

And Perreault's playmaking looks undeniably projectable. He's going to make his linemates more dangerous in the NHL, there should be zero doubt. Will he be able to score at a 30 goal pace though? There's certainly wiggle room for opinions there.

Seems like any prospect writer in the media that is fixating on the latter, likely just looked up his stats, seen how much he scored as part of the US National team, and formed their opinion entirely on that.
I don't know what those people are looking at, but from watching Perreault myself I'd say he's both a playmaker and a scorer. I wouldn't label him as one or the other.

BTW, he was given an assist on the EN goal in Saturday's game, as I had hoped. He's now at 2 goals and 5 assists in 4 games. Everyone ahead of him has played 5 or more games. In terms of points per game, he is 9th at 1.75.

Our boy Laba is 1st with 3 points per game, though he has only played 2 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad