Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Some players fall because they should. Some reaches aren't reaches.

If we had traded up to 16 to get Gabe, no one would have known we could have gotten him at 23, and everyone would be touting it as a brilliant move.
Yeah, should we go down the list of all the "fallers" that resident "prospect experts" on here were creaming over but then didn't amount to crap after they were drafted? Never hear about them...

Watching the exhibition game, one thing I picked up was the commentator saying that Coach Brown mentioned Perreault gained 10 pounds over the off-season and came in more physically robust. Would like to see him take another step in his skating as he carries that weight.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Perreault comes in at number 7 on ESPN's top prospects outside the NHL list.

IMG_20241024_144411.jpg

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Perreault comes in at number 7 on ESPN's top prospects outside the NHL list.
beep beep

View attachment 920958
lol this is completely off. he's a pure vision playmaker with secondary goal scoring chops

Reactions: eco's bones

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Yeah he's more of a playmaker but he gets enough shots to keep goaltenders honest which you need to do to max out your production. Panarin at times has laid off getting shots and his production goes down when that happens because opponents start reading him to pass. Last season and so far this season hasn't been that way though.

Perreault is also sneaky as f*** when he doesn't have the puck. He has a knack for finding soft spots in dangerous scoring areas and is great at disappearing to reappear for timing plays. His hockey IQ reminds me a lot of both Fox and Panarin. They're puck magnets on the one hand but they always seem to know where everyone (both teammates and opponents) are and the read and react puck skills are almost always both precise and instantaneous.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah he's more of a playmaker but he gets enough shots to keep goaltenders honest which you need to do to max out your production. Panarin at times has laid off getting shots and his production goes down when that happens because opponents start reading him to pass. Last season and so far this season hasn't been that way though.

Perreault is also sneaky as f*** when he doesn't have the puck. He has a knack for finding soft spots in dangerous scoring areas and is great at disappearing to reappear for timing plays. His hockey IQ reminds me a lot of both Fox and Panarin. They're puck magnets on the one hand but they always seem to know where everyone (both teammates and opponents) are and the read and react puck skills are almost always both precise and instantaneous.
Oh absolutely, not denying he doesn't have a deceptively good shot, but i was just surprised they focused on that to discus him haha.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Oh absolutely, not denying he doesn't have a deceptively good shot, but i was just surprised they focused on that to discus him haha.

Sometimes you have to wonder what all these people who have the platforms to speak about these things are seeing. There are lots of teams and prospects to cover but you should at least get the best prospects kind of right.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Prospects board mostly doesn't have him as top half of the first round because he's too small and too slow. Meanwhile that board worships Mitchkov. (Not saying GP is as good as Mitchkov but he's not exactly Chris Kreider in terms of size and speed either).

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This kid is a beauty… I’m still in awe that he fell to our pick and we didn’t screw the pooch….
This had shades of McIlrath over Tarashenko written all over it but someone over there, an adult said woah, slow down. We got this.

You can tell a kid will score in the bigs by how relentless he is to score. That’s the kind of thing you either have or you don’t.
The mind and vision have to be there, and you have to have enough chops/skill to execute it….. doesn’t matter if you’re smaller like st Louis/Panarin or a freight train like Lindros in his draft….. even a large guy like Malkin who isn’t as physical, but he’s got the goods….
This kid has the goods.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad