Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Gabe will almost certainly turn pro after this season. Whether or not he’s thrust into the NHL immediately is a different question.

2 additional years in college won’t serve him at all unless he really struggles to put on weight. Even if there isn’t a spot for him on the NHL roster, the AHL isn’t a boogeyman league. Plenty of great players have spent some time down there.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Of what I've seen from Perreault is that he has the hockey IQ and stick and passing skills on about a level with Fox and Panarin. Fox ain't the fastest player and Panarin's a great skater but he's not really a speed demon. Neither Fox or Panarin have yet to play a game in the AHL. Neither of them are particularly physical players either. Their whole thing is guile.....being smart all over the ice and not putting themselves in vulnerable positions (or at least not very often) to get creamed by hits. Perreault game pretty much thrives on the major components of those two. He can make unreal plays all over the ice again and again. One thing also I saw several times from him last year is an ability to disappear in traffic and then reappear in a dangerous scoring area. His hockey brain is just outstanding.

If he's not strong enough for the NHL he's not strong enough for the AHL. If anything the AHL is a nastier and more physical league. There are more goons and players who will fight at the drop of a hat and there are plenty of guys running around banging bodies hoping that'll be a ticket onto an NHL 4th line somewhere. That league is all about making enough impression to get a call up look see and for most players in that league to have any hope they need to be going all out all of the time. There are a lot of angry, frustrated and bitter players in the AHL and the difference between making $80,000 in Albany or Springfield vs. making at least $750,000 for even the worst NHL team also plays into it.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Because I like to set unreasonable expectations (how else can I best be the disappointed Rangers fan I was meant to be?)

Gabe PPG in his rookie season 1.67

The last 10 best PPG by a Sophomore
23-24 Cutter Gaultier (ANA) 1.59 (suck it!)
22-23 Sean Farrell (MTL) 1.56
21-22 Matt Kopperud (23 yo undrafted) 1.18
20-21 Cole Caulfield (MTL) 1.68 league leader (LL)
19-20 Jack Dugan (VGK -> ECHL) 1.53 (LL)
18-19 Evan Barratt (CHI -> DEL) 1.34
17-18 Wade Allison (PHI -> AHL) 1.36
16-17 Mason Jobst (undrafted -> AHL) 1.41
15-16 Andrew Poturalski (undrafted -> AHL) 1.41
14-15 Michael Vecchione (undrafted -> AHL) 1.28

So I guess that makes Cole Caulfield the best Sophomore in the last 10 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad