WC: Roster Talk '11 – Sweden

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
And Steen.

True dat. Blues' beat writer Andy Strickland reported that both had been given invitations, hopefully he hasn't declined since Berglund already said yes.

Not surprised to see Tedenby, Backlund, Paajarvi and Berglund, four players very familiar with MÃ¥rts going.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Maan, I don't care about AHL. 99% of swedish people who follow hockey don't care about AHL. Heck, 99% of european people who follow hockey don't care about AHL.

Oilers can do what they want about Omark, since he signed the 2-way contract. I know that, I'm not dumb, and Pentothal is not dumb aswell. However what can I do with my reaction? I also think it's wrong to keep him in AHL instead of going to WC. And yes I'm a bit unhappy about that. Yes I'm a bit dissapointed in Oilers organization. I think everything is quite clear.

P.S. I don't have anything against your team, and I hope that AHL playoffs will help him to become a better player, but as a fan that values international competition I'm dissapointed that it's normal for an NHL organization to send Omark to secondary competition and not let him play for his country that put so much effort in his development.

You may think it's wrong, but you aren't the one paying his salary. Does your boss give you free vacation just because there's something else you'd rather be doing?

For what it's worth I like Omark and I think he'll be a permanent NHL player starting next year, so this won't be an issue any more.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Anything out there on Josefson?

From Svenska Ishockeyförbundets homepage:

NHL-spelare till VM
NHL-spelare ansluter till Tre Kronor i VM.

Följande spelare kommer att spela med Tre Kronor i VM:

Back
Carl Gunnarsson, Toronto Maple Leafs

Forwards
Mikael Backlund, Calgary Flames
Patrik Berglund, St. Louis Blues
Magnus Pääjärvi, Edmonton Oilers
Mattias Tedenby, New Jersey Devils

VM-information här

Skadade spelare som inte kan delta i VM:
Daniel Alfredsson, Ottawa Senators
Tobias Enström, Atlanta Trashers
Kristian Huselius, Columbus Blue Jackets
Jacob Markström, Florida Panthers
Alexander Steen, St. Louis Blues

Spelare som av familjeskäl inte kan delta i VM:
Johan Hedberg, New Jersey Devils
Anton Strålman, Columbus Blue Jackets
Henrik Tallinder, New Jersey Devils

Fler från Nordamerika som inte spelar i VM:
Nicklas Bergfors, Florida Panthers
Fabian Brunnström, Texas Stars, AHL, Toronto Marlies, AHL
Jonas Gustavsson, Toronto Maple Leafs
Jacob Josefson, New Jersey Devils
Henrik Karlsson, Calgary Flames
Robin Lehner, Ottawa Senators
Fredrik Modin, Calgary Flames
Johnny Oduya, Atlanta Trashers
Fredrik Pettersson, Chicago Wolves, AHL
Samuel PÃ¥hlsson, Columbus Blue Jackets
Fredrik Sjöström, Toronto Maple Leafs
Gustaf Wesslau, Springfield Falcons, AHL
Alexander Urbom, Albany Devils, AHL

Nothing about Erik Karlsson, but he is still injured? Pretty dissapointing list, big props to the guys that have decided to show up

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
"Fler från Nordamerika som inte spelar i VM:" Read: Players Mårts didn't want. Backlund and Josefsson were imo battling for the same spot.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Hope Steen reconsiders, and strange that Marts doesn't want Oduya at WC.

SChan*

Wow thats a lot of no thanks. Whats with the swedish pride these days? If russia can get their stars why cant we?

SChan*

also sucks that we have a player in omark who really wants to play for his country but cannot.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
You may think it's wrong, but you aren't the one paying his salary. Does your boss give you free vacation just because there's something else you'd rather be doing?

For what it's worth I like Omark and I think he'll be a permanent NHL player starting next year, so this won't be an issue any more.

Playing hard-ball with it's players doesn't help an organisation build good relationships (or look attractive to prospective players for that matter, something Edmonton already has a problem with). Omark is a bit of a tricky, sensitive character and Edmonton doesn't seem to have a clue how to deal with this kind of situation IMO.

Is it really so hard to throw a bone to the nations that feed your teams with players, as is the norm? This is the one time of the year that casual Swedish fans gets to watch Swedish NHL players unless it's an Olympic year. Especially Edmonton players since only the mad few (hfboards posters and a handful of others) will even consider watching a game at 04:30 AM. It's not helping the game's chances of competing with soccer over here when our profile players are withheld from participating in the only watchable international games of the year. We get to see the average but loved soccer team a couple of times every few months at least.

Why did Pääjärvi get to go to the WC's but not Omark? Shouldn't you be sending him to the AHL play-offs too, what with the salary payments and all that. And why are you sending Canadians to the WJCs? Hockey Canada don't pay their salaries. When they aren't playing for Edmonton they could be cleaning the arena toilets just as well. Maybe help Katz jr work on his slapshot? Best get value for all those expensive contracts! :sarcasm:

Honestly, I don't hate the Oilers or anything but I loathe this development where international hockey is systematically marginalised by the NHL. In a world without international hockey I would loose interest in the NHL completely.

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
I don't mind Swedish fans being disappointed they can't watch Omark in the world championships and of course I don't expect you to care about the AHL.

What annoyed me was the implication that the Edmonton Oilers were doing something different from any other NHL team or deliberately trying to mistreat Swedish players.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
I don't mind Swedish fans being disappointed they can't watch Omark in the world championships and of course I don't expect you to care about the AHL.

What annoyed me was the implication that the Edmonton Oilers were doing something different from any other NHL team or deliberately trying to mistreat Swedish players.

To be fair, I don't remember a lot of NHL teams blocking players from going to the WC's so they could play on their farm team instead. When a player doesn't go to the WC's it's usually injury or family reasons that are cited. Either that or their team is still in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Polaris

Cold as Ice
Feb 5, 2008
IL Side
Screw you Alex Steen. "Injured"

Is this just some bad sarcasm I've missed? He suffered a high ankle sprain in early March that was supposed to be season ending. He came back in less than a month and the injury was obviously still bothering him, as he was seen favoring his ankle quite a few times. The fact that he even mulled over the invitation shows how badly he wants to play.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
To be fair, I don't remember a lot of NHL teams blocking players from going to the WC's so they could play on their farm team instead. When a player doesn't go to the WC's it's usually injury or family reasons that are cited. Either that or their team is still in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

We have never had WC calibre players in the AHL before. And we never scouted the league either for that matter, mostly because there were a handful players there, tops.

I've never seen as many news from the AHL in Swedish media as this season.

SChan*

These days? The problem has been the same for the last 10-15 years. There will be less nos than usual, I think.

not true. If you say last 5 years i agree, but not 10-15 years ago. I remember in 1998 when basically every nhl player wanted to play.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Is this just some bad sarcasm I've missed? He suffered a high ankle sprain in early March that was supposed to be season ending. He came back in less than a month and the injury was obviously still bothering him, as he was seen favoring his ankle quite a few times. The fact that he even mulled over the invitation shows how badly he wants to play.

I know he was injured but I also know he came back and played well.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I wonder how Eriksson thinks. He have had a concussion, but we all know that he would play in the NHL PO without any second thoughts.

We could of course have good use of him!

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

To be fair, they are doing something different. I can't think of many NHL teams that send a player (who's played 51 NHL games that season) to the AHL when his national wants him for the WC.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
To be fair, they are doing something different. I can't think of many NHL teams that send a player (who's played 51 NHL games that season) to the AHL when his national wants him for the WC.

Has happened to the finnish team pretty much every season... At least it feels like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad