WC: Roster Talk '11 – Finland

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
I won't deny that Leino isn't talented, but one hat trick proves nothing. We haven't seen him doing any +20 goal seasons at all. Even defensemen are able to do hat tricks and that does not make them goal scorers.

I totally agree with you. Also Lahti had most goals in SM-Liiga, 38, while Pulkkinen had only 18.

I am not just looking at stats, but overall talent and potential. 37 goals in the SM liiga is nice, but does that translate into this level? Not necessarily.

Still does not negate the fact that Pulkkinen should have been on this team over other players. Jalonen should have taken a chance with younger players that potentially have what it takes to have long NHL careers, and not the easy "safe" choices of veteran SM liiga/Eliteserien/KHL players.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Lingren sucked at EHT, why would he be any better at World Championship?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
They say Pulkkinen made lahti and its proven right now. They complained about pulkkinen that he didint shoot enough last season, thats because he was making plays more and lahti was doing the shooting there. Now we see lahti disappear without pulkkinen. Pulkkine has that kind of shot, that he doesnt even need an exellent change to score. He just nets those pucks with that shot.

I would try put Lahti next to granlund instead of Pesonen. Maybe lahti would start the scoring, because he knows how to head to the net and tip the pucks in, and gralund is making great passes behind hes back and from any position to the net all the time. It could work.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Yes, great player but the best in the world..... :sarcasm:

lol

I bet you the caps would wish that was true !

It's funny every time his team is losing he tries to do it all by himself, get's defended by like no tomorrow and then his team loses.

Anyways, hopefully Pavel D and Semin won't join. hahaha

Actually, I hope Semin plays. He is the most selfish player I have ever seen and the goal that was scored by St. Louis last night was proof of that.. LOL.

:laugh:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Tomorrow's lines announced.

Aaltonen - Koivu - Ruutu
Salmela - Lepistö

Komarov - Kapanen - Lahti
Puistola - Väänänen

Pesonen - Immonen - Granlund
Niskala - Välivaara

Pihlström - Nokelainen - Pyörälä
Kukkola - Jaakola

Lassila (Vehanen)

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Good choise to try Komarov in #2. I wish Jalonen had more courage to try some other things too like Ruutu<-->Pesonen. I think this also confirms that Vehanen plays vs Slovakia since it's played the next day and guessing it's Vehanen who plays in Russia vs the Russian team as well.

Also what about Pihlström-Immonen-Granlund, Pesonen out of the lineup and try Lajunen in #4 where a spot is free'd when Pihlström is in #3.

Last edited:

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
Team Finland are still waiting for Leino,V.Filppula and Rinne. Timonen won´t be coming due to some minor injury.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Good choise to try Komarov in #2. I wish Jalonen had more courage to try some other things too like Ruutu<-->Pesonen. I think this also confirms that Vehanen plays vs Slovakia since it's played the next day and guessing it's Vehanen who plays in Russia vs the Russian team as well.

Also what about Pihlström-Immonen-Granlund, Pesonen out of the lineup and try Lajunen in #4 where a spot is free'd when Pihlström is in #3.

Pesonen out of the line-up when he was the best player on the ice last game?

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Jalonen's ace in the sleeve is Pyorala to 1st line.. Let's see how it works

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
New lines:

Mika Pyörälä - Mikko Koivu - Tuomo Ruutu
Anssi Salmela - Sami Lepistö
Leo Komarov - Niko Kapanen - Juhamatti Aaltonen
Pasi Puistola - Ossi Väänänen
Janne Pesonen - Jarkko Immonen - Mikael Granlund
Janne Niskala - Jyrki Välivaara
Antti Pihlström - Petteri Nokelainen - Janne Lahti
Lasse Kukkonen - Topi Jaakola
Goalkeeper: Petri Vehanen (Teemu Lassila)
----------------------------------

I must say, I'm kind of disappointed with these. I'm happy that Jalonen decided to break the first line, which is historically new for him, but Pyörälä isn't the choice I'd have thrown in there. Pesonen or Lahti would have been better, since while Pyörälä is a good all-around player and won't hog the puck like Aaltonen, Lahti has a better shot and Pesonen tries more. But still, maybe this will allow Koivu and Ruutu to improve their game. At least yesterday they immediately started playing better when Pesonen was there instead of Aaltonen.

On a theoretical level the second line looks good now, since Komarov grinds the puck over, Kapanen makes the plays and Aaltonen does his tricks. But the problem will be that I don't think they'll compliment each other, instead resorting to individual performances which isn't good enough.

cenas*

Lajunen replaces Lahti for the next game. A good change, but surely Joensuu would be a better choicE?

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Lajunen replaces Lahti for the next game. A good change, but surely Joensuu would be a better choicE?
Who knows, but because Jalonen thinks Lajunen will be a better choice for the team we have to go with it.

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
Well, Lahti has been so invisible that any change regarding him is seen as positive. I guess we have enough grinding attackers a la Joensuu already in our team, so that's why Lajunen.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
I never saw Lajunen play and his stats aren't very good. What type of player is he?

I have to say that I'm looking forward seeing Lajunen play, I really like the guy. His stats weren't very good but also he wasn't playing with very good attacking players this season with Blues. He's a very good skater and pretty strong and he's got very good stickhandling for a grinder for these games. Generally during the playoffs he was either top-3 or 1st in hits in every game he played and didn't take too many penalties. And also getting signed by the Preds who have a deep pool of potential players proves he's got to be doing something right. I expect him to play hard, throw good hits and hopefully draw penalties with his strong game.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
I have to say that I'm looking forward seeing Lajunen play, I really like the guy. His stats weren't very good but also he wasn't playing with very good attacking players this season with Blues. He's a very good skater and pretty strong and he's got very good stickhandling for a grinder for these games. Generally during the playoffs he was either top-3 or 1st in hits in every game he played and didn't take too many penalties. And also getting signed by the Preds who have a deep pool of potential players proves he's got to be doing something right. I expect him to play hard, throw good hits and hopefully draw penalties with his strong game.

Really? Had no idea. :amazed:

LOL, I got him confused with Ville Lajunen, the defenceman. Wondered how a forward could be replaced by a d-man.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Looks like Russia needs a win before over time to steal group's #2 from Finland and to avoid Canada/Sweden. I don't think Germany will get any points from Czech.

thestudent

May 10, 2011
Jalonen is a terrible coach.

He needs a grinder that screen the goalies, so why doesn't he call Jesse Joensuu to the team ?

I mean he has like two open spaces left on the team, so he might as well use them

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00