Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Could've been a great trade if Regier preferred the rumored initial offer of Marchand to a 3rd round pick. Between that one, and the Spooner-and-a-2nd offer for Stewart, Buffalo missed two big opportunities to take Chiarelli.

I never knew about the Marchand one. Interesting...

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Could've been a great trade if Regier preferred the rumored initial offer of Marchand to a 3rd round pick. Between that one, and the Spooner-and-a-2nd offer for Stewart, Buffalo missed two big opportunities to take Chiarelli.
You're forgetting the Vanek for Seguin trade that Regier turned down as he scrambled to try and sign Vanek to a contract that would have made him one of the top 5 highest paid players in the entire league. Regier really did lose his mind at the end of it and I'm glad we have a GM with a strong personality that will likely put Pegula in his place if he suggests giving guys like Vanek or Miller the types of contracts Regier was rumored to be offering.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Keep in mind that a player may be able to communicate with coaches and teammates in English but not feel comfortable speaking to the media in English. This is definitely a thing with a lot of Latin American baseball players where they can use English in the clubhouse, but prefer translators for interviews. I remember watching an interview of Oswaldo Arcia of the Minnesota Twins (and formerly Rochester Red Wings) a few weeks ago, where the interviewer's English questions were not translated, but Arcia's Spanish answers were.

That's not to say that Kempny is necessarily conversational in English. I don't know whether he is or he isn't. It's just that one's ability to speak English is contextual since different situations might require different levels of fluency.

To add further onto this......

My ex-girlfriend and her family were not born in the USA ( from South America). My ex spoke with an accent, her younger siblings did not. With all of them they could converse in English 90% of the time. The problems came when the topic was more complicated, technical, or involved more 3 or 4 syllable words they had problems understanding and reverted to using Spanish where they had a good understanding of the complicated words.

A similar thing would apply to something more official, like talking yo the police or a reporter where unfamiliar words are more likely to come up....thus easier to revert to the native language.

Some word concepts they may not fully grasp( English is complicated with all the double meanings or words not commonly used as what a dictionary says...see the word gay)... They could pick the wrong words and either they look like an idiot or can be offensive or cause negative PR.

As for everyone seems to learn English overseas. While likely true, a big factor is how common do they use English at home. If they don't, they likely don't have much confidence in word usage.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Jones was in the mix right up until the last bit of the process. NHLCS had him the #1 ranked NA skater.

Jones was on a separate tier from Lindholm......and is one of the better examples lately of taking BPA when the player available is on a different tier than the others. Yes, Nashville needed a forward.....but Jones was on a different level than Lindholm. Taking Jones over Lindholm was indeed a no-brainer.

Exactly... That was my point.

Awesome... we can just wait until a disgruntled, out of shape, LHD is being shopped. Or we can trade an elite core asset to fill a hole. neither approach is very appealing.

Not sure what you mean exactly and why you think those are the only options.

Those picks aren't shopped because teams don't go BPA most of the time. They draft for need. And therefor don't shop their top young talent that they drafted to fill their core needs.

You mean like Pittsburgh with Staal? Or St.Louis with Pietrangelo? Flyers with Giroux? Flyers with Provorov? Like Tampa with Drouin? Colorado with MacKinnon? Buffalo with Zadorov? etc...

BPA is a myth, outside of where tiers of talent are separated (top 1-3ish, top 5ish, top 10ish, 1st round, 2nd round, etc.

So you agree that teams don't go need ahead?

I'm excited to hear the correlation youve drawn

If teams would emphasize that much need, we would see a lot more swaps being made. Team's needs change quite rapdily as well.

So your example is that when we acquire a top winger in this draft, we'll be able to trade him for a ****** defensemen later?

No.

nope.
I have Laine/Pulju in the tier above Chyc.

But in simple terms. I'd rather have Reinhart and Chyc/Juo/Serg than the hypothetical alternative Trade Return for Reinhart and Mythical BPA Forward drafted 8th overall.

And still you keep posting that Chychrun should be taken before Laine or even Pulju... You're not being that consistent here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ottawa potentially not even going to qualify Wiercioch. I imagine Tim will kick those tires.

This seems like a fit. Is he better than Colaiacovo as a third pairing guy? I'm torn as his play really fell apart this year. Perhaps a fresh start somewhere would be good. I'm still expecting Cowen to show up at camp too on a PTO.

Non-tendered RFA's might be an area to look again this summer for a depth guy or two. I so want them to turn up someone outside of their current prospect pool and roster who steps in to contribute. :laugh:

Ahhh, memories. And I think I just cracked a tooth clenching my jaw over those memories.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This seems like a fit. Is he better than Colaiacovo as a third pairing guy? I'm torn as his play really fell apart this year. Perhaps a fresh start somewhere would be good. I'm still expecting Cowen to show up at camp too on a PTO.

Non-tendered RFA's might be an area to look again this summer for a depth guy or two. I so want them to turn up someone outside of their current prospect pool and roster who steps in to contribute. :laugh:

Ahhh, memories. And I think I just cracked a tooth clenching my jaw over those memories.

If you really want to take the way back machine, The rumored Peca for Iginla swap back in the day :cry:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Not sure what you mean exactly and why you think those are the only options.

You referenced a trade as an example. I broke down the implications of that example on our team. Either Johansen represents that LHD we need, and we need to hope for a disgruntled and bad situation to evolve, and then need to put Reinhart (a core piece) on the table to make the trade. Or Seth Jones is the asset we want, and we need to put the equivalent of Johansen (again, probably Reinhart) on the table.

You mean like Pittsburgh with Staal? Or St.Louis with Pietrangelo? Flyers with Giroux? Flyers with Provorov? Like Tampa with Drouin? Colorado with MacKinnon? Buffalo with Zadorov? etc...

Yes, those are good examples that fit my definition of need and tier.

You can go back to the draft table narrative on Zadarov.
"If you want to get tougher, we take Zadorov" - Devine
"I do, I really do" - Regier

They didn't sit there and look at a board with Zadorov as the best player available. They had a group of players and applied a rationale in terms of the team they wanted to build, and the needs they had.

So you agree that teams don't go need ahead?

ahead of tier? In general, yes... I do think there is some gray there though.

If teams would emphasize that much need, we would see a lot more swaps being made. Team's needs change quite rapdily as well.

Not sure why that would lead to more swaps, movement. Needs probably lead to less movement. Team needs change, qualitative inputs to the process can easily be changed to represent that.

That's an easy cop out, please explain why the examples you provided are relevant in the narrative:
Luke Schenn was traded for JVR, Rundblad was traded for Tarasenko.

And still you keep posting that Chychrun should be taken before Laine or even Pulju... You're not being that consistent here.

I don;t know what you mean about consistency. The process... is a process.
I have Laine #1, Matthews #2 tier 1
I have the next 8 guys in tier 2

I've never suggested that Chychrun should be drafted at #2 overall in general. I've strongly been of the opinion that Buffalo should turns it's 2016 1st rounder in to a long term solution to one of their glaring holes on defense. If that meant drafting for need, trading the pick, moving down, whatever. Now, that Buffalo is sitting at #8, I've continued that narrative.

Others, like yourself, think we can solve these multiple holes in other, easy ways... like trading Laine for Rundblad :dunno: or maybe we trade draft Dubois and trade him for Jack Johnson? oh wait... the only really good example of acquiring a top D.... is an example that would correlate to us trading Reinhart. pass. solve in this draft.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Others, like yourself, think we can solve these multiple holes in other, easy ways... like trading Laine for Rundblad :dunno: or maybe we trade draft Dubois and trade him for Jack Johnson? oh wait... the only really good example of acquiring a top D.... is an example that would correlate to us trading Reinhart. pass. solve in this draft.

so you wouldnt be in favor of Reinhart and 8 for Werenski and 3

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

Talking third pairing guys, i'd like to throw in another name: Korbinian Holzer

Has a great worlds, seems he was useful for the ducks too.

Made 750k last season, now UFA to be. Could be a younger Weber with maybe even more upside?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Are we trying to force things to fit the idea of the Eichel-Reinhart 3-year ELC window?

I think it has less to do with those contracts than with guys like ROR, Kane, Bogo already being in their primes. You don't half-accelerate and then wait for the window you'd have had otherwise. This next year is playoffs and after that contention, just so you get the damn thing moving before those guys are 28.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
And yet still no interest in moving Reinhart.

Not that it's a real deal to consider, but I'd think long and hard on that one from Buffalo's side. Werenski - Risto would be this team's top pairing for the next decade, and the #3 would give you Puljujarvi to play on Eichel's wing. Losing Sam sucks, but you'd still have ROR, Eichel and Larsson down the middle for your top three lines.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Talking third pairing guys, i'd like to throw in another name: Korbinian Holzer

Has a great worlds, seems he was useful for the ducks too.

Made 750k last season, now UFA to be. Could be a younger Weber with maybe even more upside?

He's 28 and he's a rightie -- in other years, perhaps but with so many other RHD already on the team or nearly so, he'd be 5th or 6th or even 7th on that side as things stand today. Maybe if they flip a couple of RHD who are in their current depth chart in deals, they could sign him as a #7, but that is sort of contingent on other things happening.

I think it has less to do with those contracts than with guys like ROR, Kane, Bogo already being in their primes. You don't half-accelerate and then wait for the window you'd have had otherwise. This next year is playoffs and after that contention, just so you get the damn thing moving before those guys are 28.

Yes, the objective for this coming season is the playoffs. There is already a great deal of youth on the team and the team likely improves purely as they mature. They had 12 regulars 24-years old and younger last year. Looking for the right deal rather than simply trying to make any deal to improve the team is my point about being patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad