Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Chris L. has been working in the NHL for 30 years. In that time the only team that gave him a job outside of his dad was Charles Wang's New York Islanders. In fact Chris "left" the Devils about 2 months after his dad "left" the Devils (which was about 2 years after Josh Harris bought the Devils and pulled control away from Lou).

I even did an extensive search online to find Chris being in contention for any upper level executive role for any team in the past 30 years and didn't find a shred of anything. You can read a brief bio below....It's 80% the same as his dad. I don't think it's hyperbole at all to say that Chris is probably not working in the NHL if not for his dad. Heck - I'm not sure he gets into Providence college without his dad.

Career​

Lamoriello played college hockey at Providence College where he graduated in 1994 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history. In 1996, he joined the New Jersey Devils of the National Hockey League (NHL) as a scout, working with his father Lou Lamoriello. In September 2001, Lamoriello took over the dual role of senior vice president of hockey operations for the Devils and general manager for their American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Albany Devils.[1] He and his father left the Devils' organization in 2015. In 2016, he was hired by the New York Islanders as director of player personnel. In 2017, he was also named the general manager of their AHL affiliate, the Bridgeport Islanders.[2]
I'm not sure if you have an opinion, after this biography (I'm guessing you do as GMS are perpetual punching bags for you), but the kid would have to be complete idiot to not have learned AN AMAZING AMOUNT with that resume. To be tied to the hip with a well-regarded GM as your mentor for that long, even just paying attention 50% of the time he's more knowledgeable than you or I. Someone is going to give him a chance when he wants it.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
About the nepotism thing:

There are very real examples of people who got opportunities they wouldn't have gotten without familial connections, and the knowledge they absorbed through those connections showed they deserved it. A few that come to mind are Sofia Coppola, and Rufus & Martha Wainwright.
This type is few and far between. On the other hand, given what I know it does seem more likely than not that anyone raised by Kate McGarrigle would end up being an unbelievable musician. (I don't know enough about film or the Coppola family to comment on them). So maybe Chris L. is like that. But, man, this sort of thing seems really rare.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I'm not sure if you have an opinion, after this biography (I'm guessing you do as GMS are perpetual punching bags for you), but the kid would have to be complete idiot to not have learned AN AMAZING AMOUNT with that resume. To be tied to the hip with a well-regarded GM as your mentor for that long, even just paying attention 50% of the time he's more knowledgeable than you or I. Someone is going to give him a chance when he wants it.
Anyone know if a team has ever reached out to interview him?

He may just like working with his dad which is fine, but at some point you would thing he might try to go off on his own.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I mean for those asking about "rumored" proof of Chris Lamoriello being pursued or contacted by another organization... in what universe would anyone ever hear anything about that?

You think that Lou Lamoriello is secretive about his players and organization... could you imagine actual family members?

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Chris L. has been working in the NHL for 30 years. In that time the only team that gave him a job outside of his dad was Charles Wang's New York Islanders. In fact Chris "left" the Devils about 2 months after his dad "left" the Devils (which was about 2 years after Josh Harris bought the Devils and pulled control away from Lou).

I even did an extensive search online to find Chris being in contention for any upper level executive role for any team in the past 30 years and didn't find a shred of anything. You can read a brief bio below....It's 80% the same as his dad. I don't think it's hyperbole at all to say that Chris is probably not working in the NHL if not for his dad. Heck - I'm not sure he gets into Providence college without his dad.

Career​

Lamoriello played college hockey at Providence College where he graduated in 1994 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history. In 1996, he joined the New Jersey Devils of the National Hockey League (NHL) as a scout, working with his father Lou Lamoriello. In September 2001, Lamoriello took over the dual role of senior vice president of hockey operations for the Devils and general manager for their American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Albany Devils.[1] He and his father left the Devils' organization in 2015. In 2016, he was hired by the New York Islanders as director of player personnel. In 2017, he was also named the general manager of their AHL affiliate, the Bridgeport Islanders.[2]
Thanks for the research. I’m not sure how often we hear hockey GM interviews getting leaked. It seems more often than not all we hear is the news of someone getting hired. So perhaps he has interviewed but the news was never leaked. However more likely he has just worked for his Dad the entirety of his career. While that is clearly nepotism it doesn’t reflect on his abilities. Chris can be a very good or very bad hockey exec and we will never know until he gets an opportunity to run his own team. But isn’t that the same issue with all assistant GM’s?

Hiring Chris Lamoriello is questionable at best. Hiring Chris Lamoriello without an extensive interview process and a quality President of Hockey Operations would be a joke. Either way this conversation won't be truly taking place for a couple years at least.
Didn’t Carolina do the same thing with Tulsky?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Will be cool to watch the youths in the new logo down at the Bridge
I don't really care as much as many others on this board about the logo's. I actually prefer the now defunct third jersey minimalist NY.

BUT if there is an interest in keeping the fisherman jersey relevant, making it the full-time Bridgeport jersey is definitely a smart move. I could see these selling at Islander stores just as well if they were "New York" branded.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Wasn't Chris Lamoriello a part of the Islanders organization before Lou got here?
Yes. He was hired by Garth Snow. Who as a USA Hockey member (Player and Management) benefitted from Lou Lamoriello's tutelage early in his GM career.

Lou Lamoriello is known throughout the NHL as someone willing to help new GM's acclimating into their new roles. Vis-à-vis with what to expect when going to GM meetings, the processes involved with completing a transaction through the NHL offices etc. Basically, all the background everyday stuff fans don't see.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

So your contention is that if you just spend a lot of time with someone that makes you qualified to do the job that their doing...?

If only Bill Torrey adopted Mike Milbury and Garth Snow they would've been amazing GMs.

Jesus.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Yes. He was hired by Garth Snow. Who as a USA Hockey member (Player and Management) benefitted from Lou Lamoriello's tutelage early in his GM career.

Lou Lamoriello is known throughout the NHL as someone willing to help new GM's acclimating into their new roles. Vis-à-vis with what to expect when going to GM meetings, the processes involved with completing a transaction through the NHL offices etc. Basically, all the background everyday stuff fans don't see.

Garth Snow's hires...

• Ted Nolan
  • Scott Gordon
  • Jack Capuano
  • Doug Weight
  • Chris Lamoriello

Not one of the 1st four names got another chance at the same position with any other NHL snow hired them for.

And no one in the NHL decided to hire the "well respected" Chris Lamoriello for ANY position other than Snow and his father.

How anyone can be more confident than skeptical (at minimum) in Chris L doing a job no one else even considered him for in 30 years is beyond logic.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
About the nepotism thing:

There are very real examples of people who got opportunities they wouldn't have gotten without familial connections, and the knowledge they absorbed through those connections showed they deserved it. A few that come to mind are Sofia Coppola, and Rufus & Martha Wainwright.
This type is few and far between. On the other hand, given what I know it does seem more likely than not that anyone raised by Kate McGarrigle would end up being an unbelievable musician. (I don't know enough about film or the Coppola family to comment on them). So maybe Chris L. is like that. But, man, this sort of thing seems really rare.

I don't think it's actually that rare at all. It's the same as any family business. Parent works for 50 years starting/maintaining/growing a business, passes down what they've learned to their kids and the kids inherent the business. The Nylander, Reinhart, and the Tkachuks are all pretty good. Other Reinharts.. not quite as good lolol. So obviously it can go either way. But I'm not writing off a guy just because the legend he got to shadow for 30 years shares his last name.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Garth Snow's hires...

• Ted Nolan
  • Scott Gordon
  • Jack Capuano
  • Doug Weight
  • Chris Lamoriello

Not one of the 1st four names got another chance at the same position with any other NHL snow hired them for.

And no one in the NHL decided to hire the "well respected" Chris Lamoriello for ANY position other than Snow and his father.

How anyone can be more confident than skeptical (at minimum) in Chris L doing a job no one else even considered him for in 30 years is beyond logic.

Ok. But who you referring to as “confident?”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad