Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Durandeau and Ishakov were very poor asset management in my opinion. Durandeau came up and looked like he could be a cheap bottom six option for the club and was then traded away for Tyce Thompson.

Ishakov listen I do not have a problem with the organization letting him go to the KHL but they drafted this player in round 2, watched him come over to America for college, brought him over to Bridgeport where he was an all star, and all for this to just never believe him in the first place. Should have dealt him for a random asset 2 years ago instead of this.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Durandeau and Ishakov were very poor asset management in my opinion. Durandeau came up and looked like he could be a cheap bottom six option for the club and was then traded away for Tyce Thompson.

Ishakov listen I do not have a problem with the organization letting him go to the KHL but they drafted this player in round 2, watched him come over to America for college, brought him over to Bridgeport where he was an all star, and all for this to just never believe him in the first place. Should have dealt him for a random asset 2 years ago instead of this.

Isn't Durandeau going to the KHL too? He couldn't crack into a depleted NJ team last year after the trade. We're lucky we got anything for him. That's not a bridge to die on.

What makes you think Ish wasn't in trade proposals? When you look at the 2nd half of the 1st round of that draft and the entire 2nd round, there's not a lot of impact players. Turned out to be a weak draft.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

This player exists in many places and is called by many names. Not sure how much of an asset he was.

Ishakov was basically swapped for Tsyplakov. A bigger, more accomplished version of him. If there was something to be had for him, he would headed to training camp elsewhere.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Isn't Durandeau going to the KHL too? He couldn't crack into a depleted NJ team last year after the trade. We're lucky we got anything for him. That's not a bridge to die on.

What makes you think Ish wasn't in trade proposals? When you look at the 2nd half of the 1st round of that draft and the entire 2nd round, there's not a lot of impact players. Turned out to be a weak draft.

I find it hard to believe the Islanders were able to get something for Durandeau and not Ishakov.

This player exists in many places and is called by many names. Not sure how much of an asset he was.

Ishakov was basically swapped for Tsyplakov. A bigger, more accomplished version of him. If there was something to be had for him, he would headed to training camp elsewhere.

I will give you that on Durandeau, however, he also had a nice showing in the NHL. I also believe that Tsyplakov has more NHL potential compared to Ishakov but it is just poor asset management by Lou.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I will give you that on Durandeau, however, he also had a nice showing in the NHL.
What nice showing did he have? I don’t remember Durandeau doing anything impactful. You may have the warm and fuzzies over him, but not screwing up in a few NHL games is a low bar to clear.

At least Cole Bardreau scored his only Islanders goal on a penalty shot.

At the end of the day these are players of no consequence trying to make a team that has been short on high end talent for many years.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I find it hard to believe the Islanders were able to get something for Durandeau and not Ishakov.

I will give you that on Durandeau, however, he also had a nice showing in the NHL. I also believe that Tsyplakov has more NHL potential compared to Ishakov but it is just poor asset management by Lou.
I look at a couple of guys out there like Barbanov and even Sprong. Barbanov in particular who will need to take short money this year to play in the league. More worthy of a contract slot is my opinion.

I do look at the Thompson deal as purely AHL and and acknowledgement that MacLean, in addition to Fasching and Gauthier were occupying spots as call -ups or 13/14th forwards ahead of Durandeau. Perhaps they see something in Thompson more longish term for the Bridge.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
What nice showing did he have? I don’t remember Durandeau doing anything impactful. You may have the warm and fuzzies over him, but not screwing up in a few NHL games is a low bar to clear.

At least Cole Bardreau scored his only Islanders goal on a penalty shot.

Great point on Bardreau. Go back and look at the GDT's when Barzal was recently injured and Durandeau was called up against Pittsburgh. Should help your memory. Bardreau showed he could handle a fourth line NHL spot in a pinch, the same with Durandeau. Letting go of players who can help in a pinch whether it is 1 game or 20 games is an organizational waste of assets. No matter how small it is.

I look at a couple of guys out there like Barbanov and even Sprong. Barbanov in particular who will need to take short money this year to play in the league. More worthy of a contract slot is my opinion.

I do look at the Thompson deal as purely AHL and and acknowledgement that MacLean, in addition to Fasching and Gauthier were occupying spots as call -ups or 13/14th forwards ahead of Durandeau. Perhaps they see something in Thompson more longish term for the Bridge.

I am not totally convinced that Fasching and Gauthier are better options as a 13th or 14th forward than Durandeau to be quite honest. While there are likely another 100 Durandeau type of players we had him for free in the organization.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
not sure what the isles brass along with other NHL teams are not seeing with Gauthier. Kid looks like he can play 3rd line 4th line minutes and in a flash score a beauty here and there.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
not sure what the isles brass along with other NHL teams are not seeing with Gauthier. Kid looks like he can play 3rd line 4th line minutes and in a flash score a beauty here and there.

Probably the inability to play a team defense. When I watched him, the name of his game was puck watching. That's fine if you are potting 25 goals, but a major issue when not.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Great point on Bardreau. Go back and look at the GDT's when Barzal was recently injured and Durandeau was called up against Pittsburgh. Should help your memory. Bardreau showed he could handle a fourth line NHL spot in a pinch, the same with Durandeau. Letting go of players who can help in a pinch whether it is 1 game or 20 games is an organizational waste of assets. No matter how small it is.
Looking back on that only reinforces my opinion that even the slightest bit of NHL success by a career minor leaguer turns a talent starved fanbase into a bunch of desperate prospect huggers who lose their perspective.

Hand wringing over players like that is arguing over pennies when dollars are the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapOnOver

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

I am not totally convinced that Fasching and Gauthier are better options as a 13th or 14th forward than Durandeau to be quite honest. While there are likely another 100 Durandeau type of players we had him for free in the organization.
Not a fan of them either as well. Fasching is a guy who decelerates before making contact and Gauthier is all sizzle no steak. How these two were viewed ahead of MacLean by Lambert makes wonder.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not a fan of them either as well. Fasching is a guy who decelerates before making contact and Gauthier is all sizzle no steak. How these two were viewed ahead of MacLean by Lambert makes wonder.
I don’t get the Fasching love either. To me it’s a wasted NHL contract.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Maclean earned his spot. So did Fasching as an injury replacement. Fasching is a ‘low risk’ player for a coach. While he doesn’t do anything special, he listens and plays the game the coach wants him to play: don’t hurt the team first, from there, it’s gravy for your role.

The other guys are wild cards for their roles when playing. No nhl coach wants that.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
The goal here is to make the two (Fasching and Gauthier) be your 14th/15th forward options and not your 13th, which more times than not finds themselves in the lineup due to some injury.

The Islanders have 12 now (Barzal, Horvat, Nelson, Palms, Duclair, Lee, Engvall, JGP, Tsyplakov, Cizikas, Holmstrom and MacLean) and it is up to Lou to get a 13th using Wahlstrom as the primary bait...

I think his quest to upgrade the Top6 with another big splash which includes off-loading a contract (JGP) is likely over, so this is where we are...

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Maclean earned his spot. So did Fasching as an injury replacement. Fasching is a ‘low risk’ player for a coach. While he doesn’t do anything special, he listens and plays the game the coach wants him to play: don’t hurt the team first, from there, it’s gravy for your role.

The other guys are wild cards for their roles when playing. No nhl coach wants that.
I actually think he is not good player in his own zone. He makes coverage mistakes and doesn't help much on breakouts. I am happy he wont play much this year.

Reactions: mm11

SI

Feb 16, 2013
At this point, Wahlstrom needs to be moved the longer this goes on the more likely he is picked up on waivers. I like the Robertson for Wahlstrom proposal, but it would put the Isles just over the cap by 13k.

Hoping for 2025 pick.

I agree with most - sign someone to take over for Fasching and upgrade him. Otherwise this off season is complete

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
At this point, Wahlstrom needs to be moved the longer this goes on the more likely he is picked up on waivers. I like the Robertson for Wahlstrom proposal, but it would put the Isles just over the cap by 13k.

Hoping for 2025 pick.

I agree with most - sign someone to take over for Fasching and upgrade him. Otherwise this off season is complete

Of course WE like it, Robertson's actually scored goals in the NHL. But I doubt Toronto is going to accept that swap.

By the way, if not mentioned before . . . Robertson was born on 9/11/01!

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The over/under on Tsplakov making it to January on the NHL roster?

Wally is a toss in on a trade or he’ll stick around for when Tsplakov bolts to go back home.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Technically the Isles scored the 19th most goals. There were teams ahead of them that tied in the amount of goals they scored, for example, Kings and Coyotes tied for 16th, and Penguins and Flames tied for 18th.

scott99

May 13, 2005
The over/under on Tsplakov making it to January on the NHL roster?

Wally is a toss in on a trade or he’ll stick around for when Tsplakov bolts to go back home.
I don’t think Tsplakov is going anywhere. There were 12 teams in on trying to sign him, obviously he wants to play in the NHL. To be effective offensively though, he needs to play on one of the top 2 lines. Same with Duclair, he needs to play top 6 minutes.

I would go back to Lou’s comments on Tysplakov the other day as well. He said he didn’t sign him to play in Bridgeport, that tells me he looks at him as a key signing.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Looking back on that only reinforces my opinion that even the slightest bit of NHL success by a career minor leaguer turns a talent starved fanbase into a bunch of desperate prospect huggers who lose their perspective.

Hand wringing over players like that is arguing over pennies when dollars are the problem.

It is July on a hockey forum. We don't have much else to talk about but feel free to ignore the posts.

Fasching is suffering in part to the Quine dilemma. Quine was alright until he scored that OT goal and was catapulted up on the first line. Fasching should be in a fourth line role and told to throw the f***ing body to have a 10 year career in the NHL. MacLean in many aspects I love but one thing I will say is he was never forced into a top six role like we saw with Fasching.

• Haha
Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad