Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Hello folks. I was wondering if anyone could indulge me in answering what it would cost the Sharks to pry Noah Dobson off your hands, if that is even possible. I know that it's an astronomical long shot but it's more to gauge how valuable he is to you guys right now and moving forward with one year left on his deal.

Here's the deal:

Dobson, Lee and Pageau for the Pittsburgh 1st, New Jersey 2nd, William Eklund, Filip Bystedt and Luca Cagnoni

You'll LOVE Lee's and Pageau's leadership skills and competitiveness . . . will jump start your rebuild!

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Hello folks. I was wondering if anyone could indulge me in answering what it would cost the Sharks to pry Noah Dobson off your hands, if that is even possible. I know that it's an astronomical long shot but it's more to gauge how valuable he is to you guys right now and moving forward with one year left on his deal.
It is astronomical, he’s likely going to sign 8x8 this summer

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Here's the deal:

Dobson, Lee and Pageau for the Pittsburgh 1st, New Jersey 2nd, William Eklund, Filip Bystedt and Luca Cagnoni

You'll LOVE Lee's and Pageau's leadership skills and competitiveness . . . will jump start your rebuild!
I can't imagine that Lee and Pageau would waive their trade clauses for San Jose. I feel like SJ would be on a lot of players' no-trade lists due to their rebuild and high taxes compared to pretty much anywhere else in the league.
It is astronomical, he’s likely going to sign 8x8 this summer
I would be happy as a Sharks fan if the team landed Dobson and gave him 8x8. He seems worth it to me. The trade cost of course is the difficult thing to figure out.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He’s still under team control when his current deal expires.

The Sharks have nothing other than the 1st overall pick that would interest NYI enough to considering parting with Dobson.

Even if Lee and Pageau were willing to waive their M-NTCs for San Jose, I just don’t see how trading a 24 year old, 50 point defenseman who’s 6’4” with a right handed shot to trim two short term contracts makes sense.

They’d basically be trading Dobson away to gamble on winning the Hagens lottery ball for Eklund, PIT’s 1st, and a couple of prospects.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I can't imagine that Lee and Pageau would waive their trade clauses for San Jose. I feel like SJ would be on a lot of players' no-trade lists due to their rebuild and high taxes compared to pretty much anywhere else in the league.

I would be happy as a Sharks fan if the team landed Dobson and gave him 8x8. He seems worth it to me. The trade cost of course is the difficult thing to figure out.
I don’t think there's a return from the Sharks that would make sense for us.

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
He’s still under team control when his current deal expires.

The Sharks have nothing other than the 1st overall pick that would interest NYI enough to considering parting with Dobson.

Even if Lee and Pageau were willing to waive their M-NTCs for San Jose, I just don’t see how trading a 24 year old, 50 point defenseman who’s 6’4” with a right handed shot to trim two short term contracts makes sense.

They’d basically be trading Dobson away to gamble on winning the Hagens lottery ball for Eklund, PIT’s 1st, and a couple of prospects.
1716416231282.png

When it comes to defenseman the difference between 50 points and 70 points is pretty significant.

Reactions: Konk and duster19

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
View attachment 874479
When it comes to defenseman the difference between 50 points and 70 points is pretty significant.
Look at his ice time last season, which was heavily influenced by both Pelech and Pulock missing time (as well as Mayfield). I'd be very surprised if NYI ran him into the ground again, he looked horrible in the playoffs and it was likely from burnout.

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
Look at his ice time last season, which was heavily influenced by both Pelech and Pulock missing time (as well as Mayfield). I'd be very surprised if NYI ran him into the ground again, he looked horrible in the playoffs and it was likely from burnout.
Shhhh!!! Don't tell anyone that. 😁

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
It’s a rarity that people here pay any attention whatsoever to trade clauses so I for one appreciate the thought.

I don’t think we’re a good match, in any case, and trading him would signal a rebuild and there’s no indication they’re thinking about that right now. Would be massive value though.

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
Mitch Marner doesn't fit the makeup of the roster. Of course you would love a Marner but Nashville getting a guy who went ghost in the playoffs aint it

View attachment 874286looking at this, i want to still say that Pageau has value as a centerman, but so does Lee.

There's a lot of good to take away if you want to see trade chips btw
Now look up the Leafs, and Marner's ranking - he'd be the top of this list. And then look at the Predators, not a single player on that roster would rank higher than Marner. Why wouldn't he be a fit there? Every GM, including Trotz, would take Marner - he would fit every roster (excluding salary cap considerations).

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Now look up the Leafs, and Marner's ranking - he'd be the top of this list. And then look at the Predators, not a single player on that roster would rank higher than Marner. Why wouldn't he be a fit there? Every GM, including Trotz, would take Marner - he would fit every roster (excluding salary cap considerations).
Every roster, yes, every locker room, doubtful.

Reactions: Glorydays22

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Mitch Marner doesn't fit the makeup of the roster. Of course you would love a Marner but Nashville getting a guy who went ghost in the playoffs aint it
More rationalization.
Why wouldn't he be a fit there? Every GM, including Trotz, would take Marner - he would fit every roster (excluding salary cap considerations).
There's no reason other than to just say things like Pageau would be a "better fit" than Marner.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Let's not forget that he was hurt against MTL and missed the last 3 games of the season. I'm sure he pushed himself to return for the playoffs because the team heavily relied on him.

I would guess that he would not have returned that quickly if whatever injury he suffered in MTL happened during game 38 of the regular season.

Add that on top of being burnt out after playing such heavy minutes in the middle of the year (in December, logged 26:51 ATOI) - I'm not surprised he did not look himself during the playoffs.

Reactions: Osakahaus

isles55

Mar 7, 2015

View attachment 874286looking at this, i want to still say that Pageau has value as a centerman, but so does Lee.

There's a lot of good to take away if you want to see trade chips btw
Pageau generated more offense over the last 15-20 games of the season as well. Getting Pageau away from Holmstrom seemed to revitalize him. He has no trade value, and he may never be the high-end 3C we wanted, but he can contribute in the right situation.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Pageau generated more offense over the last 15-20 games of the season as well. Getting Pageau away from Holmstrom seemed to revitalize him. He has no trade value, and he may never be the high-end 3C we wanted, but he can contribute in the right situation.
Holmstrom isnt the kind of guy who works with Pageau long term, but I like it as a PK duo. more of them if possible

They honestly both play different styles of games, but Holmstrom could honestly thrive in the playoffs. He showed flashes of it this series

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Gross. Marner is NOT what Nashville needs and is the furthest thing from a Trotz player
People would have said the same thing about Jordan Eberle. (Marner is way better in every facet of the game).

I think folks should take a look at Marner's usage over the years, and then reconsider what they think or say about him.

I don't see how a Nashvillle/Toroto trade will work, but I think Marner would do fine with Trotz. Probably better, because Trotz realizes his players are human beings with limitations.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Let's not forget that he was hurt against MTL and missed the last 3 games of the season. I'm sure he pushed himself to return for the playoffs because the team heavily relied on him.

I would guess that he would not have returned that quickly if whatever injury he suffered in MTL happened during game 38 of the regular season.

Add that on top of being burnt out after playing such heavy minutes in the middle of the year (in December, logged 26:51 ATOI) - I'm not surprised he did not look himself during the playoffs.
He said in the locker cleanouts he wasn’t suffering from any lingering effects of that injury.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
People would have said the same thing about Jordan Eberle. (Marner is way better in every facet of the game).

I think folks should take a look at Marner's usage over the years, and then reconsider what they think or say about him.

I don't see how a Nashvillle/Toroto trade will work, but I think Marner would do fine with Trotz. Probably better, because Trotz realizes his players are human beings with limitations.
Schenn and O’Reilley signed in Nashville directly from Toronto. They’ll know Marner good or bad.

Considering Nashville has very expensive mistakes like Turris and Duchene, color me very skeptical that the ownership group approves a trade for Marner as a player, let alone his current contract and future contract in the $10-13M range, when one can argue they should hold the line on salary at Forsberg levels.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Random thoughts rolling around in my head the last few days. Pure speculation and not going to happen.

Jeff Skinner as a buyout candidate from the Sabres.
UFA class is so so and usually not a fan of going this route. Curious about Joel Edmundson as a LHD partner for Dobson. I really like Romanov and maybe they are re-united as a complete shutdown, minute munching, and effective first pair in the near future.
I like Pelech and thought maybe he could fill that role to cover and mentor #8 as he rounds out his game. He certainly had a rough year and hoping he returns to form.

This team is in a tough spot regarding age, lack of speed, and cap.

Enjoy the holiday weekend and go Panthers!

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
Random thoughts rolling around in my head the last few days. Pure speculation and not going to happen.

Jeff Skinner as a buyout candidate from the Sabres.
UFA class is so so and usually not a fan of going this route. Curious about Joel Edmundson as a LHD partner for Dobson. I really like Romanov and maybe they are re-united as a complete shutdown, minute munching, and effective first pair in the near future.
I like Pelech and thought maybe he could fill that role to cover and mentor #8 as he rounds out his game. He certainly had a rough year and hoping he returns to form.

This team is in a tough spot regarding age, lack of speed, and cap.

Enjoy the holiday weekend and go Panthers!
I looked up Skinner and was surprised to see that huge deal still has 3x9 remaining. Also, he's never played in a playoff game!

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I looked up Skinner and was surprised to see that huge deal still has 3x9 remaining. Also, he's never played in a playoff game!
I know. Brutal!!! Lou needs to find some value this season. The Isles LW depth is rough and maybe that Russian kid hits. I still hope Holmstrom finds his game and improves. I hate comparisons, but I always hoped and saw similarities to Sharangovich. Not sure if SH has the same finishing ability as him.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Lou with a great trade!!!! Nice 2 spots and pick up an extra 2nd!!! These are the trades that get me hard!!!

Get some more kicks at the can!!!

Good players to be had in the 2nd round. Love this.

Unless he’s using it to trade away contracts lol

Here take this 2nd and Pageau lol

Either way it’s good to have an extra chip. As was said in the draft thread, this would be a good draft to trade down from 18, as there is no real value to trading up this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad