Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Drury to 2C by about October 15th
I think that there's more of a possibility of Drury moving to 2LW. He played that often at Harvard. Play that often in Sweden. He's more of a C, but he can and has played LW successfully in his career.

What really interests me are the 1st and 3rd lines w/the rookie group. It wouldn't surprise me if Chicago looks something like this. Blake/Unger Sorum/Nadeau is all offense, all of the time w/FUS being expected to shoulder some serious defensive responsibilities. But the line that intrigues me is Trikozov/Suzuki/Gunler. That group will score and potentially score a lot especially against other 3rd lines. I don't see the phrase "responsible defensively" ever being used with that line, however.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Most interesting to me is FUS at C. Strictly out of necessity or could the kid make the move to the position full time?
Probably a bit of both. Trying to figure out exactly how versatile he is at this point.

The top line is an interesting study if you believe one will make it from that group. Nadeau has the shot and anticipation to use it but is pretty weak and most likely behind the curve defensively as he wasn’t really a stand out that way as an NCAA player. Blake can probably play anywhere in the lineup and be a spark plug, and he’s clearly done the work to be stronger but his game is probably the most raw. FUS has the all around ability you’d think Rod would like but he’s tiny, very young and you’d think would need some adjustment to bring over here.

I still think up to today that Suzuki has Rod’s eye but he’s not very high in the lineup to start here. They clearly are looking at the first line kids very closely.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Most interesting to me is FUS at C. Strictly out of necessity or could the kid make the move to the position full time?
There is a twitter post with FUS comment that the last time he played C was age 14. But, he was up for the challenge (my words)

Btw: he appears to be a playmaker that goal scoring wingers would benefit from if he could master the position.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Probably a bit of both. Trying to figure out exactly how versatile he is at this point.

The top line is an interesting study if you believe one will make it from that group. Nadeau has the shot and anticipation to use it but is pretty weak and most likely behind the curve defensively as he wasn’t really a stand out that way as an NCAA player. Blake can probably play anywhere in the lineup and be a spark plug, and he’s clearly done the work to be stronger but his game is probably the most raw. FUS has the all around ability you’d think Rod would like but he’s tiny, very young and you’d think would need some adjustment to bring over here.

I still think up to today that Suzuki has Rod’s eye but he’s not very high in the lineup to start here. They clearly are looking at the first line kids very closely.
Good analysis. If I had to guess, I'd say FUS is the most likely of the 3 to make the team this year. But it's also quite possible we play no rookies and really do slot Robinson, Lemieux, Jost to fill out the bottom 6. More than anything I'd like it to be a meritocracy and have the best players make the team, whether they are 20 or 30 years old.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

See I'm not so sure that Rod isn't keeping a close eye on Suzuki especially since he's paired up with Gleb who kindof blew up (offensively at least) at the prospect showcase. Gunler is the one odd-ball on that unit.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
See I'm not so sure that Rod isn't keeping a close eye on Suzuki especially since he's paired up with Gleb who kindof blew up (offensively at least) at the prospect showcase. Gunler is the one odd-ball on that unit.
Yeah where he put Suzuki is definitely open to interpretation. I generally think Rod has his mind mostly made up already so he has an idea of who’s got a shot going in which means someone has to surprise. There a chance the top 3 are together because they may be a line together in Chicago and this allows all the big dogs of the organization see them as a unit, while trying to build chemistry. That vs them competing against each other for a spot. Maybe Suzuki has a great chance already and they don’t need to see him early.

Always fun to see how this part goes.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
So you're saying we should overreact immediately?
1726774514738.gif

Reactions: cptjeff

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Personally, if they’re not going to bring in another scorers, I want to see Kotkaniemi at LW:

Kotkaniemi-Aho-Jarvis
Svechnikov-Drury-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Carrier(?) or mystery prospect
Lemieux/Robinson-Jost-Roslovic

Gives a little more balance than Svechnikov-Aho-Jarvis.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah where he put Suzuki is definitely open to interpretation. I generally think Rod has his mind mostly made up already so he has an idea of who’s got a shot going in which means someone has to surprise. There a chance the top 3 are together because they may be a line together in Chicago and this allows all the big dogs of the organization see them as a unit, while trying to build chemistry. That vs them competing against each other for a spot. Maybe Suzuki has a great chance already and they don’t need to see him early.

Always fun to see how this part goes.
What Walt calls the lines doesn't matter. Jaaska-Brind'Amour-Grimaldi isn't any more of a second line than Martinook-Staal-Fast would be.

Oh wait, NVM.....

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Personally, if they’re not going to bring in another scorers, I want to see Kotkaniemi at LW:

Kotkaniemi-Aho-Jarvis
Svechnikov-Drury-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Carrier(?) or mystery prospect
Lemieux/Robinson-Jost-Roslovic

Gives a little more balance than Svechnikov-Aho-Jarvis.
he was pretty terrible at wing the short time we tried it his first year here. Give him one last shot to grab 2C by the horns and if he doesn't show he can be the guy get out of his contract and look elsewhere to upgrade. I don't really see Drury as a long term guy here either and if it is it's Staal 3C replacement, but we could give him a stab at 2C too. Whoever doesn't get that opportunity will have to be 4C.

We are really missing offensive talent in the top 6 at 2 spots. I think we gotta let one of the kids have the opportunity there. Roslovic in the top 6 is a hard no for me dawg, he should be replacing Fast with Staal and marty.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
There is a twitter post with FUS comment that the last time he played C was age 14. But, he was up for the challenge (my words)

Btw: he appears to be a playmaker that goal scoring wingers would benefit from if he could master the position.
I thought he played some C for Team Sweden in the WJC or whatever the tourney was a few months ago, & didn't look out of place. 🤔

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad