Roster Building (& Training Camp) XXIII: Re-signings, Re-considerations, Recriminations

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
BBA says it better than I am, I’m agreeing and saying those who think he’s a legit JStaal replacement are not being fair to Staal at all. Staal had how many shorties his rookie year? 7 or 9 plus 29 overall as an 18 year old plus three other 20 goal seasons while being a Selke level defensive player the whole time. Is Kk a threat to score any shorties ever? Will he pk? Will he ever reach the level of Staal before he could buy beer let alone what he became? Staal drives me nuts offensively but he’s been a very valuable player for a long time and most of my beef is about his usage over the years with us.

KK has one decent season where he had 43 pts and the rest he can’t crack 30. He tried to be part of things, he throws hits and tries to play good defense. He’s 24, and much like with Svech we’re hitting the “this is what he is” point of things. He’s been given more chances than anyone else who doesn’t produce imo with Rod. I might try him with Aho and Jarvis this year on wing to see if he can do that better than in the past. They could use a grinder if he’d play the role.

He can’t blame anyone else at this point. He must know it’s on him. If he scores 40pts a season while playing defense he’ll have a place but he’ll never be Staal or a scorer imo. I was hoping he could become a much worse skating version of Eller.
I wonder how long before Drury/KK switch spots. I don't however like the idea of Drury playing 2C. He's more of the Staal replacement than KK and I know most would agree. This team needs a legit 2C we haven't had since Vinny. We know they've attempted when making a play for EP, but I wonder how much longer do we do this KK experiment.

Reactions: AD Skinner

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I wonder how long before Drury/KK switch spots. I don't however like the idea of Drury playing 2C. He's more of the Staal replacement than KK and I know most would agree. This team needs a legit 2C we haven't had since Vinny. We know they've attempted when making a play for EP, but I wonder how much longer do we do this KK experiment.
If we’re competitive and Drury/KK neither take the reins you have to wonder how aggressive we’ll be trying to fix that towards the deadline.

If we’re mediocre or worse they may sit on it till the off season. Hard to think if neither guy owns the spot that they won’t do something there as we build our way back up. Monahan is the guy I’ve mentioned, it’s hard to say who else will shake loose.

I think the FUS thing is unlikely to pan out to the point of him as a 2C, but you can always hope.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
If we’re competitive and Drury/KK neither take the reins you have to wonder how aggressive we’ll be trying to fix that towards the deadline.

If we’re mediocre or worse they may sit on it till the off season. Hard to think if neither guy owns the spot that they won’t do something there as we build our way back up. Monahan is the guy I’ve mentioned, it’s hard to say who else will shake loose.

I think the FUS thing is unlikely to pan out to the point of him as a 2C, but you can always hope.
I don't think it's insane to think FUS could eventually be a 2C, he's like Aho-lite so far, but that's at least a few years off at best. There's also a possibility that if neither KK/Drury can really capture 2C that we finally give Necas his chance, or go with Jarvis there as he's already decent on draws and has the backchecking needed for that spot

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't think it's insane to think FUS could eventually be a 2C, he's like Aho-lite so far, but that's at least a few years off at best. There's also a possibility that if neither KK/Drury can really capture 2C that we finally give Necas his chance, or go with Jarvis there as he's already decent on draws and has the backchecking needed for that spot
All are possibilities but none are probabilities in my book. I think if Rod viewed Necas or Jarvis as centers they would’ve had a shot already as our presumed soon to be offensive woes from center have been an issue for a few years. Jarvis passed Rod’s test his rookie year so I really think that would’ve happened already. I think we’re reading a little much into them giving FUS some work into draws. None of us have watched him enough to say his game actually lends itself to center, we just love rooting for our prospects and think the world of them until we see whatever they actually are.

He’s very slight for a center, especially in Rod’s system. He has great puck protection which gives you a baseline of hope. Like you say it would probably be a year or two out when personally I’m talking about this year more than someday in the future. Saying he’s not only going to be a center but one that’s better at it than KK, Drury…Kuzy….that’s a stretch for me. I’d love it to be true, I just wouldn’t put money down on it yet.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
All are possibilities but none are probabilities in my book. I think if Rod viewed Necas or Jarvis as centers they would’ve had a shot already as our presumed soon to be offensive woes from center have been an issue for a few years. Jarvis passed Rod’s test his rookie year so I really think that would’ve happened already. I think we’re reading a little much into them giving FUS some work into draws. None of us have watched him enough to say his game actually lends itself to center, we just love rooting for our prospects and think the world of them until we see whatever they actually are.

He’s very slight for a center, especially in Rod’s system. He has great puck protection which gives you a baseline of hope. Like you say it would probably be a year or two out when personally I’m talking about this year more than someday in the future. Saying he’s not only going to be a center but one that’s better at it than KK, Drury…Kuzy….that’s a stretch for me. I’d love it to be true, I just wouldn’t put money down on it yet.
Weren't you also quite against Aho at center?

Reactions: bleedgreen

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
1) Us being bummed about a weird offseason so not having the same "anything can happen" vibes going into this season
I'm the exact opposite...of course I am a perpetual optimist.....that said, I believe it was Bleed that mentioned speed. I'll run with that. This team is significantly faster than las season's team. And from what I saw, Kotkaniemi again worked on his skating in the offseason. Svech is a year removed from knee surgery. Roslovic is very fast. Carrier is significantly faster than Fast. Even having Robinson (and now Blake) on the 4th line adds that dimension. We may not be the biggest. We may not even be the toughest. But we will be one of the fastest teams on the ice.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Weren't you also quite against Aho at center?
Yup. Do we think they’re all going to be like Aho? Aho has a good base of strength with his skating that we’re presuming FUS has when comparing. The only contact I’ve seen FUS take is Mcgroarty hyperspacing him so it’s an unknown to me.

My deal with Aho was that he may be a better scorer at wing then if he has to concentrate on the duties of center under Rod. Not that I didn’t think he could play center. We don’t get a lot of natural talent and we need offense so I was reticent for Aho to give up ten or twenty pts because he had to stay home more with us. I think that still holds water a bit, it’s a two way job with us when pts come easier when you can sacrifice a little positioning as a wing to get ahead of the play. Rod has always offered some forgiveness if you produce enough, which Aho always has of course. Aho also had zero competition and we were desperate which bought him time to break in Rod. Rod was saying after the first successful year he still wasn’t sure Aho would stay there.

I don’t know what FUS is. We’re in another time where Rod is bending his own rules a bit so who knows? I just don’t assume that’s an easy transition and it feels like an experiment. At least he gets to try in the AHL vs Aho’s experience.

Ps. Not seeing it or saying it would surprise me is different than me being against it. I said in the post you quoted if it actually happened that would be awesome. I’m not against FUS as center. I’m just not assuming it’s a thing at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm the exact opposite...of course I am a perpetual optimist.....that said, I believe it was Bleed that mentioned speed. I'll run with that. This team is significantly faster than las season's team. And from what I saw, Kotkaniemi again worked on his skating in the offseason. Svech is a year removed from knee surgery. Roslovic is very fast. Carrier is significantly faster than Fast. Even having Robinson (and now Blake) on the 4th line adds that dimension. We may not be the biggest. We may not even be the toughest. But we will be one of the fastest teams on the ice.
Yup, I think we’re faster than last year for sure and I think it plays well with the system in theory.

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I agree with BBA in that I don't think KK will be the next Staal in terms of effectiveness, play style, etc., but I use that as shorthand for the whole dynamic where KK is really best suited for a 3C slot and that's Staal's spot until he decides it isn't anymore.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad