Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2021 Offseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
How is it dramatic? Is Lundkvist not NHL ready? This is what happened this season didn't it? So if Trouba goes down, who is taking those minutes?
They still have Schneider. How do you know Lundkvist is more “ready” than Schneider?

I LOVE Lundkvist. I really like Schneider. I like Robertson. I like Jones too.

But not all are going to make it. They desperately need a legit top 6 center. Larkin fits the bill. He is the perfect age. He checks a ton of boxes. This is who you trade a top prospect for. I dont want to hear some exaggeration about Mackinnon or McDavid because that is so unrealistic. Those guys aren’t even going to be up for discussion.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If Gauthier is given a chance and Kreider can be more consistent, the top-9 isn’t that bad in terms of physical play. Both of those guys create havoc down low with their size and strength and push defenses back with their speed. Maybe adding 1 other guy up there would be nice but I think just getting those two guys to be consistent (in Gauthier’s case actual minutes), will go a long ways.

Gauthier/Barron and a UFA (Coleman/Goodrow/Cizikas/etc.) could make a hell of a "fourth line" as long as Gallant gives them time and doesn't neuter them like Coach Doofus did.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Yzerman created almost the perfect comparable deal to the one he is trying to get for Larkin. McDonagh + Miller for Hajek + Howden + Namestnikov + 1st

TB wouldn’t give up Sergachev, Point, Cirelli, Foote. Their best young players were off the table. That’s what the Rangers need to do.

Larkin is two years from UFA, McDonagh was dealt at the deadline with another year to play. That means guys like Barron, Jones, Robertson. Not Lundkvist, Kravtsov.
One of those 2 is going for Larkin if he gets traded here.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
They still have Schneider. How do you know Lundkvist is more “ready” than Schneider?

But not all are going to make it. They desperately need a legit top 6 center. Larkin fits the bill. He is the perfect age. He checks a ton of boxes. This is who you trade a top prospect for. I dont want to hear some exaggeration about Mackinnon or McDavid because that is so unrealistic. Those guys aren’t even going to be up for discussion.

Lundkvist and Schneider could actually be a very good cheap pair together maybe even this year with a LHD vet taking some games and Nils moving to the left side.

Trouba is going to eventually be phased out once his NMC lessens.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
It doesn't only have to be kids. Buch/Strome are in that group too. Chytil who I'd prefer to keep is not 100% immune.

Stome isn't going unless the Rangers acquire a 2C.
Buch might go but he's just going to move up Kravtsov so they're only going to open up one spot.

You're still looking at something like.

Laf-Zibanejad-Kakko/Krav
Panarin-Strome/(other scenter)-Kakko/Krav
Kreider-Chytil-?
and then the 4th line.

Thats not much different than what they have really. This is also assuming they want to give Kravtsov a top 6 RW spot next year which I'm not certain they are going do that.

Someone LIKE Larkin if truly available would not only add speed (which we dont have much of), he would upgrade the 2C spot (face offs, harder to play against, forechecking, etc) he would add a completely different element in a center over Strome.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Yzerman created almost the perfect comparable deal to the one he is trying to get for Larkin. McDonagh + Miller for Hajek + Howden + Namestnikov + 1st

TB wouldn’t give up Sergachev, Point, Cirelli, Foote. Their best young players were off the table. That’s what the Rangers need to do.

Larkin is two years from UFA, McDonagh was dealt at the deadline with another year to play. That means guys like Barron, Jones, Robertson. Not Lundkvist, Kravtsov.
I agree with this completely just not it being for Larkin. It doesn't make sense in any realm or reality for Larkin to be available. Maybe in another year and a half things can change but considering he was just named the C, he and Yzerman are committed to the rebuild. For the Rangers it only makes sense for it to be the best available player on the trade front in the past decade. The only way for us to get better is by moving a couple of the young guys and offload where we're logjammed. Rolling a buzzsaw down the middle of the ice and being huge on the backend is still a healthy dose to winning a championship.

A situation where the Rangers ice:

-Eichel
-Zibanejad
-Strome

for our top-9 would rival that of only Tampa.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If Gauthier is given a chance and Kreider can be more consistent, the top-9 isn’t that bad in terms of physical play. Both of those guys create havoc down low with their size and strength and push defenses back with their speed. Maybe adding 1 other guy up there would be nice but I think just getting those two guys to be consistent (in Gauthier’s case actual minutes), will go a long ways.

Why is Kreider going to get more consistent after 9 years?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I agree with this completely just not it being for Larkin. It doesn't make sense in any realm or reality for Larkin to be available. Maybe in another year and a half things can change but considering he was just named the C, he and Yzerman are committed to the rebuild. For the Rangers it only makes sense for it to be the best available player on the trade front in the past decade. The only way for us to get better is by moving a couple of the young guys and offload where we're logjammed. Rolling a buzzsaw down the middle of the ice and being huge on the backend is still a healthy dose to winning a championship.

A situation where the Rangers ice:

-Eichel
-Zibanejad
-Strome

for our top-9 would rival that of only Tampa.

What are the chances they keep Zibanejad if they trade for Eichel? They surely aren't keeping Strome too. The whole idea or Larkin that has been discussed here is keeping Zibanejad.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't want the Rangers to be in on Hyman at what his cost he's going to be, but Brooks' 'you can't be in on him because he's a LW' point is dumb. I'm pretty sure if Marner and Nylander were LW's, Hyman would be a RW. He plays where there's an opportunity for him.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I don't want the Rangers to be in on Hyman at what his cost he's going to be, but Brooks' 'you can't be in on him because he's a LW' point is dumb. I'm pretty sure if Marner and Nylander were LW's, Hyman would be a RW. He plays where there's an opportunity for him.

where they have Buchnevich, Kakko and Kravtsov at the moment lol. There is simply a log jam to do anything without at least 1-2 kids going out

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
We won't be moving either Nils or Schneider until we see what each of them can do in a Ranger jersey unless its for something really substantial. I really think a lot of people are gonna be disappointed when we show up with a top 9 consisting of our own players and basically the same d + Lundkvist and maybe a sizeable bottom pair d.

To me, if their planning of moving Nils to the left, which I hope the rangers are considering, it would at least make more sense. If they plan on keeping him on 3rd pair behind fox and trouba on the right, I think that would be more stifling to his progress then helpful. A D of
Lindgren-Fox
Lundkvist-Trouba
Miller- UFA Vet and Schneider eventually
has a lot of balance and skill

I don’t see lundkvist moving Zibby/ panarin of the circle on the PP, and I don’t see trouba being an 8 mill 3rd pair guy either. So the only logical option I see is moving nils to the left side if he’s good as advertised. You have to get your best players minutes. If we’re not going to do that I’d absolutely include him for a guy like Larkin that would fill a pivotal role here at only 24 years old

Last edited:
Reactions: Cag29

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
What is 247?

247sports.com

The top college sports and recruiting site/forum. Subscription model. Every Tom, Dick, or Harry subscriber knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy. And they don't need to be vetted. If you say it with your chest, and you seem to be in the ballpark, you get credibility.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I agree with moving Nils to the left being an option, but I completely disagree with the same top 9 being an option. You dont fire Davidson, Gorton AND Quinn because of the team they built being too identical only to hire Gallant and give him the same team. It sends a bad message and basically says there was no reason to fire JD/Gorton minimum.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
What are the chances they keep Zibanejad if they trade for Eichel? They surely aren't keeping Strome too. The whole idea or Larkin that has been discussed here is keeping Zibanejad.
Don't think Zibanejad will sign for more than $9M. Will prob be 8x8 and I also wouldn't be surprised if Eichel comes with slight retention even if a measly 1-2M. It sounds ridiculous but in doing so BUF will be able to get more value out of a guy who seemingly over the past week has dropped steeply in market value.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

i may want to see them in camp and Ahl before moving 1 though

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
So its a joke then.
how so? the 247 staff is amazingly informed and connected. I wasn't talking about us. I'm talking about the subscribers. For instance, if you say you have connections to the local AAU program and want to share what you heard, you don't need to be vetted. The proof will be in the pudding over time. It's pretty easy to know who is genuine and who is a jokester. But over there you actually have to say things to get the clout. No vagueness, no beating around the bush, no riddles. Here, Edge gets to send everyone on a wild goose chase trying to crack some secret code on a minute by minute basis meanwhile the NYR haven't even acquired a player in 500 days. It's butt tilting.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I see Kravtsov, Jones and 15th for Larkin and Rangers 2nd (previously sent to Detroit with Mark Staal) as a reasonable deal.

Any takers?
Yeah, assuming we then move either Strome or Buchnevich in a separate deal

Reactions: LOFIN

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah, assuming we then move either Strome or Buchnevich in a separate deal
This. I mean if we are moving for a center one of Zibanejad, Strome or Chytil needs to be moved out. I'd rather see us moving for a decent 2nd line center, move out Strome and take our chances with Mika. Or, you move Strome and promote Chytil and acquire a good #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad