Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XVI: C'mon, do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't understand the Gorton hate.

-Anton Stralman
-The 2014 draft was garage
-The 2015 draft was garbage
-The 2016 draft isn't looking wonderful
-The Eric Staal circus
-Waited 100,000 years to fire AV
-The Hagelin trade
-The Talbot trade
-Brendan Smith
-We trade top 6 centers like they're Yu-Gi-Oh cards

This team has been absolutely horribly managed since Gorton took over. All the bad is always somehow pinned on Sather but he's been living in Alberta since the summer of 2014. The only lasting negative effect Sather had on this team in any recent seasons were the Girardi and Staal extensions. The last time Sather did anything, this team was in the SCF - we're now rebuilding.

Reactions: JT Kreider

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Yeah. You can't put scouting failures on Gorton. He has to trust his scouts. If he trusts them for too long with limited success, then you can put the failures on him. Lets see how Chytil and Andersson do this year. I think that will be very telling. Granted, I know they are young but still. They believed these guys, especially Andersson were close to NHL ready.

Reactions: haveandare

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I don't understand the Gorton hate.

1. Him not firing AV last year after the Ottawa debacle is definitely a black mark for him.

2. Then trading Stepan but signing Shattenkirk really showed he wasn't willing to commit one way or the other. Totally directionless. Either trading Stepan is the first step towards building for the future or you sign Shattenkirk expecting him to put you over the top as a playoff contender. There should be no in between, or else you are caught in no mans land. Which is exactly where we are right now.

Not good enough to be a legit Cup contender, not bad enough to get a surefire franchise talent at the top of the draft.

Which is what it's going to take for this franchise to develop their own elite #1 center or defenseman.

Because they're certainly not capable otherwise.

3. The McDonagh return was pretty underwhelming. We should have gotten an high end NHL ready young talent. Like the Avalanche did with Girard plus all the other assets they got. That's sad that the Avs got a significantly better return for Duchene than we did for McDonagh.

4. He got jobbed out by Pierre Dorion in the trade up. The sens are the laughing stock of the NHL and the one positive thing they have done so far was at our expense.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
-Anton Stralman
-The Eric Staal circus
-The Hagelin trade
-The Talbot trade
-Brendan Smith

This team has been absolutely horribly managed since Gorton took over. All the bad is always somehow pinned on Sather but he's been living in Alberta since the summer of 2014. The only lasting negative effect Sather had on this team in any recent seasons were the Girardi and Staal extensions. The last time Sather did anything, this team was in the SCF - we're now rebuilding.

- No first round pick
- No first round pick
- No first round pick
- Stupid trade, I will give you that
- Should have done it earlier, but I also think he wanted the team to bottom out
- Sather did this trade
- We got market value for a UFA-to-be goalie
- Looked good when we got him. The player himself shit the bed. That's not on Gorton
- That stepan contract would be an absolute anchor in this rebuild we're in

Stop bitching.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
-Anton Stralman

-The Eric Staal circus
-The Hagelin trade
-The Talbot trade
-Brendan Smith

I have absolutely got to call you out here.

He was not in charge for the 2014 or 2015 draft - that WAS Sather. Also, you were a HUGE advocate for Brendan Smith. You pushed, and pushed for him. The rest of the stuff, fair. But the drafts are not fair and calling him out on Smith when you yourself were such a big advocate is very, very hypocritical.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have absolutely got to call you out here.

He was not in charge for the 2014 or 2015 draft - that WAS Sather. Also, you were a HUGE advocate for Brendan Smith. You pushed, and pushed for him. The rest of the stuff, fair. But the drafts are not fair and calling him out on Smith when you yourself were such a big advocate is very, very hypocritical.

It wasn't Sather. I know somebody who works for the Rangers. Sather hasn't looked in this team's direction since the MSL trade, I know that for a fact.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
-Anton Stralman
-The Eric Staal circus
-The Hagelin trade
-The Talbot trade
-Brendan Smith

You're blending some Sather in with Gorton. Gorton became GM in 2015, after the Draft. There were no top picks in 2015 or 2016.

Sather traded nearly all our top draft picks. This is the fallout when you 'go for it'. I would assume this is why Sather 'resigned' in 2015.

Reactions: Desdichado30

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Grabner must have been a good fit in the room which could have contributed to his uptick in play (on top of AVs system)... Could be why they want him back.

$2.75M for 3 years plz.

Maybe maroon is a good signing as well. Reider on minimum is good

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
1. Him not firing AV last year after the Ottawa debacle is definitely a black mark for him.

2. Then trading Stepan but signing Shattenkirk really showed he wasn't willing to commit one way or the other. Totally directionless. Either trading Stepan is the first step towards building for the future or you sign Shattenkirk expecting him to put you over the top as a playoff contender. There should be no in between, or else you are caught in no mans land. Which is exactly where we are right now.

Not good enough to be a legit Cup contender, not bad enough to get a surefire franchise talent at the top of the draft.

Which is what it's going to take for this franchise to develop their own elite #1 center or defenseman.

Because they're certainly not capable otherwise.

3. The McDonagh return was pretty underwhelming. We should have gotten an high end NHL ready young talent. Like the Avalanche did with Girard plus all the other assets they got. That's sad that the Avs got a significantly better return for Duchene than we did for McDonagh.

4. He got jobbed out by Pierre Dorion in the trade up. The sens are the laughing stock of the NHL and the one positive thing they have done so far was at our expense.
I'm a Gorton defender, but point 4 is such BS if Miller ends up becoming a stud, especially since he was likely going to be selected before 26.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It wasn't Sather. I know somebody who works for the Rangers. Sather hasn't looked in this team's direction since the MSL trade, I know that for a fact.

I mean, no offense but I really don't buy what they are selling. Nothing against you. Either way, the 2014 draft was NOT done under Gorton and, as I said, you were a massive advocate for Brendan Smith. Gorton has had his share of mistakes but lets not just start assigning all the blame to him because we need someone to be pissed at right now.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Most people blend Sather and Gorton. The team did this deliberately - it's a PR move. Naturally, they blend it the way they want to. The good is Gorton, the bad is Sather. I get that, you do what you gotta do to sleep at night as a fan.

But I have inside information and I know the day Gorton became our decision maker. It's WAY earlier than most fans believe, and that's why I'm harder on Gorton and harder on this whole process than most.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean, no offense but I really don't buy what they are selling. Nothing against you. Either way, the 2014 draft was NOT done under Gorton and, as I said, you were a massive advocate for Brendan Smith. Gorton has had his share of mistakes but lets not just start assigning all the blame to him because we need someone to be pissed at right now.

Me being wrong about Smith does not absolve the paid professional from being wrong about Smith.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
-Anton Stralman
-The Eric Staal circus
-The Hagelin trade
-The Talbot trade
-Brendan Smith

- Not him
- Not him
- Not him
- They didn't pick until the 3rd round.
- Yes
- He should have been fired after Ottawa, I'm not going to cry bout it only happening a year later.
- Not him
- Not him
- You weren't on the Brendan Smith bandwagon, you were the Brendan Smith bandwagon.
- The Zibanejad trade was a win, the fall out from Stepan still remains to be seen.

They're rebuilding because of all the stuff they gave away while they were contending. I'm not saying that was the wrong decision because when you have a team good enough to win, you go for it.

If you want to fault Gorton for anything, it should be for not starting this process sooner. There was no reason for them to try and squeeze another season out of this squad after the way the 2016 season ended, especially since it sounded like he was going into the offseason with the mindset of doing just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad