Roster Building Thread - Part XII

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Shesterkin will be similar. Paying your best players isn't the issue, it's those middle tier guys being overpaid that kills teams
Sure. I wouldn't be surprised if Shest ends up worth every penny of his next contract, I’d just prefer it not be here.

Over the next 8 years (and sooner rather than later I’d imagine) we’ll be flirting with the dreaded middle for quite some time. I’d rather it be without an immovable 100M goalie contract as the cherry on top.

Thanks for everything, but C YA L8R.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
in my mind you're one of the posters here that's able to separate the "should" world from the real world.

i think it's fine to discuss either, but imo discussions of realistic possibilities are more relevant.

Obviously what we all say has very little bearing and in all likelihood Shesterkin will be resigned to some ridiculous number.

I think it's very fair to say that's a bad idea though and we can all bitch about it when it happens and after, that's all fair game.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
I vacillate over this all the time. On the one hand, goalies are kind of voodoo and Shesterkin doesn't quite seem to have the every year he's a Vezina finalist quality that Hank had. On the other, he really is very good and you can survive with a bad contract. If we're going to have someone overpaid anyway, I'd rather it be Shesterkin than Trouba.

I don't know. No easy answers. Que sera, sera.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I don't know. No easy answers. Que sera, sera.
Quoted for truth.

I do not think very highly of Drury as a GM, but I definitely don’t envy him for having to be the one to make this call because it’s not an easy one and it will almost certainly be directly linked to his job security.

Reactions: leetch99

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
And if Kakko breaks out it will be even harder.

We might have to gut the team to afford him.

and he isnt $4m better than swayman, helly or Saros.

This is just insanity
If Kakko breaks out....good bye Kreider .....frees up a couple of million and makes Igor signing easier to swallow and also opens up a spot for Perreault next season. It certainly solves a few problems and gets us younger and possibly better at 5 on 5 play . Even without KK breaking out...I still move Kreider for a young Dman with upside since we are thin back there and to make more room for Edstrom-Cuylle-Perreault -Othmann next season......unless they get traded away for a D/player depth for the big playoff run this year .......a lot of things to digest .

Being a GM might be harder than we all think . A lot of moves to make and only so much Cap to work with . You have to do what you need to do to keep the club window open and if it means signing Igor and moving a fan fav....so be it .

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruggs225

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
If Kakko breaks out it’s more like good bye Panarin.

I think that he and trouba are toast after this season anyway unless Panarin does some shit in the playoffs.
Panarin has a full nmc.
He’s not moving unless something very weird happens.
And if we’re trying to move him, there’s like 3 teams who can take his cap hit without sending us back a ton of stuff we don’t want/need.

So can’t see that happening.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I don't know how those negotiations went. But Lundqvist was also netting hundred's of thousands or so per year in endorsement deals with Bauer, tag, and others. He was also a large part of the community and the face of the franchise. I'm not saying fans don't love Igor, but Lundqvist was the name in NY, add in his good looks and media availability, everything about NYR had him standing in front.
If Shesty was in Toronto and was as dominant there as he was here....he would rival Matthews in endorsement dollars and maybe even top him....and the same deal in Montreal where goalies are GOD . Gorton would love to have a crack at Shesty and the Leafs could lose JT and Marner in a hurry to afford Shesty....there is a market for him and he knows......he will be signed !!!

• Love
Reactions: bernmeister

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
If Shesty was in Toronto and was as dominant there as he was here....he would rival Matthews in endorsement dollars and maybe even top him....and the same deal in Montreal where goalies are GOD . Gorton would love to have a crack at Shesty and the Leafs could lose JT and Marner in a hurry to afford Shesty....there is a market for him and he knows......he will be signed !!!
Probably not.
Shesty speaks English but does his absolute best to not step in front of a mic.
Some people in professional sports don’t want the actual spotlight, and some are absolutely fine with it.
Matthew’s loves the attention.
Shesty does not.
Shesty could have a bunch of endorsement deals (Fox has plenty) but he chooses not to.

Reactions: AirGut

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Probably not.
Shesty speaks English but does his absolute best to not step in front of a mic.
Some people in professional sports don’t want the actual spotlight, and some are absolutely fine with it.
Matthew’s loves the attention.
Shesty does not.
Shesty could have a bunch of endorsement deals (Fox has plenty) but he chooses not to.
Maybe....but I'm not buying it . He would be more popular than McDavid across the whole hockey mad country . Canadian fans love their goalies maybe to the point of it being unhealthy ! LOL....especially in Montreal .

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If Kakko breaks out....good bye Kreider .....frees up a couple of million and makes Igor signing easier to swallow and also opens up a spot for Perreault next season. It certainly solves a few problems and gets us younger and possibly better at 5 on 5 play . Even without KK breaking out...I still move Kreider for a young Dman with upside since we are thin back there and to make more room for Edstrom-Cuylle-Perreault -Othmann next season......unless they get traded away for a D/player depth for the big playoff run this year .......a lot of things to digest .

Being a GM might be harder than we all think . A lot of moves to make and only so much Cap to work with . You have to do what you need to do to keep the club window open and if it means signing Igor and moving a fan fav....so be it .
Kreids stays
KK getting 3.75 - 4.25 per on extension is not coming out of the 6+ we pay CK

Reactions: 80s Kid

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Panarin has a full nmc.
He’s not moving unless something very weird happens.
And if we’re trying to move him, there’s like 3 teams who can take his cap hit without sending us back a ton of stuff we don’t want/need.

So can’t see that happening.
Not entirely untrue/wrong, but reality is bread knows he is not sniffing a big offer from us
He has to exit
this can be done gracefully, he waives, we deal him before
OR
he stays here to the last and then it is ugly as to why Rs not even ballpark close offer, likely none

He def stays here this year UNLESS we can send him close by Debs or Isles
and that has to work for Rs if I'm gonna go there

Like I said TOR IS A FIT
send there NOW

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It’s impossible for people here to make a decision about Igor because we have no idea what the options are. You can be ideologically opposed to paying a goalie that much, hell I am that way, but without knowing how else you can reasonably expect to allocate those dollars you simply can’t make an informed decision.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I have a feeling Igor signs for 11. He will realize that its far more money than he will get anywhere else cause of the 8th year. Perhaps he rejected it cause it didn't have an NMC that he wanted? I just find it impossible that someone will show up to UFA Day with 13 million plus.

Get Laf at 8.5ish and Miller at 6ish and we will see how things fall. As I said, I think Utah is gonna bring so much more revenue than thought and the Cap will go up more than thought. Though, not by that much. Maybe an extra 1 to 1.5 million. Every little bit helps and after just the 1 year next year, you can just figure Igors number replaces Panarins current amount.

Reactions: kovazub94

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I have a feeling Igor signs for 11. He will realize that its far more money than he will get anywhere else cause of the 8th year. Perhaps he rejected it cause it didn't have an NMC that he wanted? I just find it impossible that someone will show up to UFA Day with 13 million plus.

Get Laf at 8.5ish and Miller at 6ish and we will see how things fall. As I said, I think Utah is gonna bring so much more revenue than thought and the Cap will go up more than thought. Though, not by that much. Maybe an extra 1 to 1.5 million. Every little bit helps and after just the 1 year next year, you can just figure Igors number replaces Panarins current amount.
no matter what we're going to be tight in the cap for 1 year. And then we'll have some space and if McD is fine with walking, we could make a big play. especially if we move mika somehow.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is not going to be popular but I would at least think about trying to do something revolving around Kakko and Liljegren all things considered

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
This is not going to be popular but I would at least think about trying to do something revolving around Kakko and Liljegren all things considered
I rather go with Mancini last thing the Rangers need is another dman that doesn't play physical and has defensive issues

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't know if that's true. But that mindset annoys me. Ask for what you want. Take all the money you can. I have no problem with players trying to get all they can get. I do think it's a little petty to start throwing the, "I am the best player and should be paid the best on the team.
Shesterkin said it? That’s EF’s 3rd person account. If anything that’s coming from Shesterkin’s agent and that’s his job to best sell whatever is their reasoning behind the ask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad