Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
The only reason I could see Smith playing RD is to increase his value in a trade. No reason to have him over there with Shattenkirk/Pionk/ADA/Mcquaid. Too early to be exploring a hypo squad post trading two of those.

rangerfan_79

Jun 1, 2007
justanfyi.com
Trading for Nylander would likely gut the roster of players we wouldn't want to part with. I doubt Nylander will look quite as good with a limited supporting cast for the next few years. We are early in the rebuild and adding him at this time is too early. Let's accept the stink for a couple years while the kids develop. Next draft should be fun.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Probably not the best timing for Nylander and the contract he will get. He would likely be 25 before we are meaningfully competitive.
Uh, so you mean he’d be entering his prime as we’re getting competitive? Yeah, wouldn’t want that!

Truth is that it’s actually perfect timing as far as timelines go. The issue would be what it would cost to acquire him.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Nylander doesn't strike me as the primary go to guy you build around. I could be wrong though. I love him as a player I think he is fantastic.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Although not as good, he's more on the Rangers timeline than Panarin. Who will be playing his age 28 season next year. First year of big contract...

If it were me, I would only sign him if by some miracle we landed Hughes/Kakko.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I’m all for acquiring Nylander, but I won’t be happy giving up any picks or prospects to do it. That includes any rookies for 1-3 year NHL players. I’m not sure why Toronto would want picks or prospects anyway.

The Rangers have the veteran NHL assets to acquire Nylander. The question is if those fit what Toronto wants right now... and one of those would have to be a kind of replacement for Nylander himself. That means either Hayes, Zuccarello or Kreider. But their other big hole is RD, which our only asset to trade is Shattenkirk. I don’t think Toronto wants him.

Walter t

Mar 12, 2018
No. I agree that a 2-4-1 record is misleading because it's only been 7 games. I agree with @Inferno that a bounce here or there is the difference, in a sample this small, between 2-4-1 and 3-4 or 4-3. On the flipside, one or two more bad games from Hank, and maybe this team doesn't have a win.

I don't believe you can claim a team "is what their record says they are" after 7 games.
We haven't won in regulation. We could be 0-5-2. We could be 0-7.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I get the distinct feeling that the Rangers are going to grab McHilleny from CAR once Darling is healthy.

You can't keep going into the year with your backup options the way they are.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I get the distinct feeling that the Rangers are going to grab McHilleny from CAR once Darling is healthy.

You can't keep going into the year with your backup options the way they are.
Is he really better than Tokarski at this point?

I do think that Georgiev should be in Hartford starting 50 games instead of 20 in the NHL.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Also think that the Rangers will add two forwards up front to help build and shape the culture here.

Question is when. TDL would be the latest, but the Rangers can't absorb salary... If they find a taker for Spooner/Names... and I think there is a market for them if the salaries are washed or absorbed...

Even if you're getting lesser "skilled" players in return... You'll be better in the longer term.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I haven't seen anyone propose all our picks and prospects for a Nylander trade, but maybe I have them on ignore. What I have seen was Skjei and Lias. I have also seen the idea of futures easily shot down because Toronto is win now.

So either people seem to be closed off to the idea. The Athletic did a real good article looking at Nylabder from an objective stance. Very good numbers, they talk about his zone entries, points per 60. He's way better than Toronto and Rangers fans want to acknowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad