Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Crazy idea, but with Swayman and the Bruins at odds...

Trade Shesty for Swayman?

Swayman would have to agree to a 1-year deal initially for about what Shesty is making now, but we could then give him a long-term deal in January.

Swayman is younger and will probably take less than 12 mil.
What’s in it for Bruins? They went to $8 AAV for Swayman. Maybe through negotiations it could get up to $8.5-$9.0 which is very far from what’s Shesterkin seeking. Lot
I think maybe 10.6 is the max I’d be ok with. It lets him reset the market. He’s younger than helleybuck, and he’s had better consistent seasons and more games than sorokin.
He can make arguments that he’s the best goalie in the league. So let him get the highest contract.
Don’t think this will be nearly enough on 8 year deal. Anything that starts with $11 and somewhat close to $11.5m will be a winning negotiation for Drury / the team

next year is the concern. Yes the cap is going up, but we have Laf and miller to extend. Potentially Lindgren as well.
Most of the cup increase will go to these internal issues. Trouba’s and Lindgren’s cap hits too. Hopefully there will be some breathing room starting a year after.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Don’t think this will be nearly enough on 8 year deal. Anything that starts with $11 and somewhat close to $11.5m will be a winning negotiation for Drury / the team

Most of the cup increase will go to these internal issues. Trouba’s and Lindgren’s cap hits too. Hopefully there will be some breathing room starting a year after.
So we’re looking at 6m + just for Igor.
Probably similar for Laf.
You’ve got Kakko who may or may not deserve to be resigned.
Miller probably gets 6m (2m raise)

That’s an increase of 18 million split between 3 players.
Trouba is -8m
Lindgren is 4m

So that’s 12m and the cap likely jumps 4.
We’re 2 million short, and it’s not counting replacing those players who leave.
And that’s assuming Kakko walks.

The math doesn’t work.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

Trouba is -8m
Lindgren is 4m

The math doesn’t work.
Its why the lightning havent been won after the first year of Vasy’s contract. All the other key players needed big contracts and they started jettisoning them.

Florida got lucky bc they have key players on underpaid contracts. We dont have that luxury.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So, maybe the takeaway here is that defense wins championships. Who'da thunk it?

There are reasons why we lost but there are also reasons why Edmonton lost and if we were doing a Venn diagram there would be some similarities. Florida had been to the Cup finals the year before and they grew from that and they had a healthy Tkachuk this time. We were to the Cup finals in 22 and didn't grow from it in 23 and then a coaching change and back to the Conference finals. I think we were a deeper team last year than in 22 though the additions we made at the deadline weren't quite as good. Well we had less to trade for one thing. Getting your best players to play their best is one issue particularly with Panarin and Zibanejad. Depth and staying away from injuries or player playing really banged up is another.

In that respect I really like some of the additions I think we can make from within the organization---like Mancini, Rempe, Edstrom---there's size, physicality, skating. We should have enough scoring at the front end but playoffs are very much about attrition and the Panthers were the nastiest and most physical team in the playoffs but they also had more than enough talent on top and pretty good goaltending.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Saying it like that doesn't change that you're still advocating to try different units, regardless if whatever players being used is working through-out the season. That's the issue I have with it.

We won games because of the powerplay. We probably goes as far as we did in the playoffs because of the powerplay. There's a bigger issue with this team than what happens when the powerplay runs cold, and if you don't address that while potentially scoring less goals/winning less games because we're hindering our good powerplay or try new looks, then it potentially becomes a bigger issue. I also don't think that when you suddenly throw them out in game 7 it's going to net the results you want. But that's fine. We can disagree here.
Yes. I’m obviously advocating experimenting during the rev season for the sake of playoff preparedness. Since our PP went 2 for 27 over the last 10 postseason games to end our run… To quote Col Kurtz “The horror, the HORROR.” Hahahah. Yeah. Let’s just run that back. I’m not advocating just throwing a new unit out in game 7. How can you actually read the posts you are responding to and say that? How are we just throwing them out there when I’m saying we should already have them ready. And where did I say game 7? We did t even make game 7. This is frankly amazing.
Whatever. I don’t care if anything I said here gets misrepresented again. I’m done. It’s a thought. On a fan message board. It’s not worth this effort. Hahahaha. Have at it. Last word, no matter how much it misses what I’m actually advocating, is yours!

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I won't pretend like I could say for sure, but my answer would be probably not. This isn't an NFL playbook like we're going to toss out things the PK wasn't expecting and all of a sudden put them on their heals. Trying different things for when we might need them just means we're not playing them that often. Chances are when tossing then together for when we need won't result in a spark and might take longer to get going. How often are we using these units that we're trying in case we need them? I just think you're potentially creating a bigger problem that might even reduce our powerplay success. I'm all for pulling players, units, etc for when they look like total ass. But intentionally changing it up when it's working just to get different looks seems like it'll have the opposite results you're looking for.
This makes sense. PP success is a pretty ephemeral thing that could disappear / appear without an obvious reason - messing with the structure could take a sliver of confidence from the players and with it - success in execution.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Trouba is -8m
Lindgren is 4m

The math doesn’t work.
This is exactly why cap crunch will be difficult in 25-26 with maybe some relief coming a year later. These remaining $2m are not precise and will be dealt with lots of penny pinching on these and smaller contracts, carrying 21-22 instead of 24 etc.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
This is exactly why cap crunch will be difficult in 25-26 with maybe some relief coming a year later. These remaining $2m are not precise and will be dealt with lots of penny pinching on these and smaller contracts, carrying 21-22 instead of 24 etc.
You're looking at multiple ELC's including 2 in the top 6.
Perrault is fine, but you're probably gonna need to force one of othmann or berard in there even if they're not ready.
If Kakko somehow breaks out (doubtful not impossible) you can't keep him too.

Theres a legit concern we'd be a wild card team. We'd have holes all over the roster.

Panarin comes off in 26-27, and that does open up space, but only if we don't re-sign him, which considering he's been the best FA signing in the past 20+ years. Thats gonna be a tough one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad