Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Just caught up on watching the last couple of games that I missed. These are the prevailing thoughts I have:

Edstrom should make the team. He's ready. Maybe even for a top 9 role. I can absolutely see stretches where he outplays Cuylle and he's the 3LW by Christmas with Chytil and Kakko.

Carrick is the definition of mid. If a kid earns a call up and outplays him, he should be in Hartford. Even would prefer Brodzinski against certain teams in that 4C role. We're screwed if any of our centers go down and he needs to play a role more than a 10 minute a night guy on the 4th line.

Othmann isn't ready yet. He needs at least another year in the minors but I would consider trading him in a deal that lands a good young defenseman or middle 6 forward with term.

Kakko has done nothing to show that he's ready to take the next step, but neither did Lafreniere last preseason and we saw how that turned out. Still, I'd offer him the Jarnkrok contract. 8 years, $2.5 million AAV, take it or get traded over the summer. No one is going to give him a contract with more money over the long term. There's still a place for him on this team on the 3rd line.

I'd love to see what Garand can do. If Igor goes down at all with injury this year, I'd see what he can do for a stretch of a few games and keep Quick the back up. I know it's preseason, but based on what I've seen so far, I'm not giving Shesterkin the bag.

Brady Tkachuk and Shane Pinto for those three and our 2025 1st and another prospect.

I've already come to accept that this is happening at the deadline or over the summer.
Hank sucked in preseason too. Getting back into a goalies "routine" is more important than the play itself sometimes. Plus there's something to be said of tendencies and maybe not giving the other guy enough credit.

Igor for anything with 2 numbers annually scares me. Give him 8x$9 and call it a deal.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
We may be able to get by with Zibs sucking and Panarin being less effective in the playoffs.... But Tuba and Lindgren have got to go.

The next big move needs to be for a top4LHD.... after dumping the dead weight.

Also doesn't help that our coaching staff does not put the best players on the ice because of 'reputation' and 'ego'. There's no overthinking it. Play your best players. Laffy was that guy last playoffs.
I agree on playing the hot hands . The kids are like horses....they want to be fed minutes and in all situations for the most part . They should feed Laf -Kakko- Cuylle and Schneider /Miller a ton of minutes for the start of the season and their effort/vigor might push the whole team to a higher pace ......and carry it into the playoffs .

Reactions: duhmetreE

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
My take this year has less depth and complexity behind it than in the past, partially because life hasn’t afforded me as much time to ponder the roster, partially because we’re running it back with a similar group for the umpteenth time and I don’t have the energy to dissect the same group over and over again - we can all debate third pairing D or the composition of the pairs and who should be playing in the bottom six but ultimately we’re almost a guaranteed playoff team and far more likely to live or die according to whether Zibanejad plays like 2021 or 2024, or what kind of Panarin makes his way into the post season.

That said:

Edstrom has made the team and deserves a spot.

Rempe is on the team, like it or not. His play may dictate if he stays up the full 82 but I see no scenario where he isn’t on the opening roster.

Jones definitely has looked good enough to play, especially with Lindgren possibly missing time.

We should be willing to completely shuffle the pairs and the line combos. There is no need to cling to what hasn’t gotten us across the line yet… I’m fine with sticking with the familiar, but we don’t have to be married to it. Let’s see how people perform and be willing to adjust. We definitely do not need to see another full season of Mika regression to decide whether he’s “our Ovie” on the PP unit. They’re either hitting the net/going in or they’re not.

Kakko is on his last chance and he’s not helping his case at all so far. It’s time to put up or shut up. Personally I’d rather have Cullye, Edstrom and Rempe all in the bottom six and package Kakko for a player like Pinto who can slide into the 3RW spot Kakko occupies but also can takeover the 3C if (when) Chytil misses time.

Ultimately I don’t think we have a prospect in the system with top six potential at this point - middle six tweener at best - so I’m okay with moving Kakko, Lindgren, Otthman, etc. in a deal that brings in a ~24 or under player who actually looks like a realistic Smith replacement in that top six going forward. Smith will be fine/adequate for his time here but we’re going to have Zib, Kreider, Bread, Tro all getting older and honestly Laf is the only one who has shown he’s genuinely top six worthy. Chytil has the talent, but regardless he can’t be pencilled into taking over that type of role until he can play at least 75 games.

I’m a lot less married to any of our guys than I have been in the past. Honestly I don’t care who is moved anymore. We’re at a point where we are a contender that can’t get over the hump and all of the star power is getting older now but the cupboard has mostly depth players without anyone to really start picking up the slack if those guys begin to slow down in the next couple years so… this is the year to put it all on the table and see where the cards fall. In the past my attitude was like no I love Miller and Lindgren, I love Zib, I don’t want to move them. Now I’m more like “you’re wearing a Rangers jersey, so help us win” I don’t really care what the back of the sweater says anymore.
Gabe Perrault has definitely got top line potential.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Hank sucked in preseason too. Getting back into a goalies "routine" is more important than the play itself sometimes. Plus there's something to be said of tendencies and maybe not giving the other guy enough credit.
Quick had a horrendous preseason last year.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
For the regular season? Push them to a higher place? They set the team record for points last year. Just what do you expect this reg season? The postseason is a different animal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad