Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
This team needs to seriously ask itself if Kakko+Lindgren+Othmann can get them a serious center/RW.

I'd rather watch Mancini and Jones play 60 minutes together straight than watch Lindgren with Fox anymore. And I like lindgren.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Just caught up on watching the last couple of games that I missed. These are the prevailing thoughts I have:

Edstrom should make the team. He's ready. Maybe even for a top 9 role. I can absolutely see stretches where he outplays Cuylle and he's the 3LW by Christmas with Chytil and Kakko.

Carrick is the definition of mid. If a kid earns a call up and outplays him, he should be in Hartford. Even would prefer Brodzinski against certain teams in that 4C role. We're screwed if any of our centers go down and he needs to play a role more than a 10 minute a night guy on the 4th line.

Othmann isn't ready yet. He needs at least another year in the minors but I would consider trading him in a deal that lands a good young defenseman or middle 6 forward with term.

Kakko has done nothing to show that he's ready to take the next step, but neither did Lafreniere last preseason and we saw how that turned out. Still, I'd offer him the Jarnkrok contract. 8 years, $2.5 million AAV, take it or get traded over the summer. No one is going to give him a contract with more money over the long term. There's still a place for him on this team on the 3rd line.

I'd love to see what Garand can do. If Igor goes down at all with injury this year, I'd see what he can do for a stretch of a few games and keep Quick the back up. I know it's preseason, but based on what I've seen so far, I'm not giving Shesterkin the bag.

This team needs to seriously ask itself if Kakko+Lindgren+Othmann can get them a serious center/RW.

I'd rather watch Mancini and Jones play 60 minutes together straight than watch Lindgren with Fox anymore. And I like lindgren.
Brady Tkachuk and Shane Pinto for those three and our 2025 1st and another prospect.

I've already come to accept that this is happening at the deadline or over the summer.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Zib only shoots when it’s a one timer and he’s often far from the net so of course he’s going to miss a lot. Can’t chalk it up to bad luck.
Maybe, maybe not when it comes to bad luck. Maybe it's mental. Maybe it's getting older. But he took nearly 30 more shots (or one-times), and missed the net less the previous year, thus scoring more goals, which is what fans want to compare last seasons totals to. The we only force it to Zibanejad is not accurate, or at least in the sense compared to what other teams do.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Edstrom being a valuable 4th line player who can also PK and get to the front of the net may seem inconsequential but it isn't. I agree with whoever said that come playoff time, the 4th line will be playing 4-5 minutes of ES time a night but where they can, and should shine is on the PK. Carrick, Vesey and Edstrom should be primary PKers. And I would expand that to Kakko and Cuylle as well.
We rotate 3 pairs at forward for the PK. Kreider, Zib, Vesey and Trocheck were regulars last year. Carrick killed penalties with Anaheim and was added, in part, for that reason.

That leaves 1 spot. Reilly Smith killed penalties with Vegas. Maybe Edstrom will get that spot, but I don't imagine there will be more than 1 kid in that role, barring injury.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
This is what's going on in Lavi's head " Ok Edstrom is a player for sure but I like Rempe's character and presence. He's not making terrible defensive plays and isn't a huge liabilty. Yeah I'm gonna play him sorry Edstrom. Also really not sure about this Kakko guy".

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I wouldn't be against this. Rempe would get more minutes in Hartford than he will on the Rangers 4th line. Getting more development time in Hartford would help hm should the Rangers bring him back up later in the season. Playing him 5 minutes a game is neither helping him nor the Rangers.

They may (or may not) have alternatives to replace Rempe on the roster to start the season (Edstrom/Othmann/etc., depending on your view), but it's worth considering.

Reactions: Ruggs225

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
This is what's going on in Lavi's head " Ok Edstrom is a player for sure but I like Rempe's character and presence. He's not making terrible defensive plays and isn't a huge liabilty. Yeah I'm gonna play him sorry Edstrom. Also really not sure about this Kakko guy".
People really have PTSD over nothing. I guess it's good that he lives rent-free in so many of NYR's own fan's heads just from existing. Can't imagine what other teams must feel.

I'd be willing to bet Edstrom plays more games this year than Rempe.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

NO
keep KK, Oth
sell Lindy NOW

This is a false narrative.
It's very simple
DITCH VESEY
move him NOW
creates 4th line space
we keep/use both RempEd

I wouldn't be against this. Rempe would get more minutes in Hartford than he will on the Rangers 4th line. Getting more development time in Hartford would help hm should the Rangers bring him back up later in the season. Playing him 5 minutes a game is neither helping him nor the Rangers.

They may (or may not) have alternatives to replace Rempe on the roster to start the season (Edstrom/Othmann/etc., depending on your view), but it's worth considering.

Again no,
no need to punish Rempe who deserves to be here
AND BY THE WAY, IN HIS LESS DEVELOPED FORM LAST YR, WE HAD CRAZY GOOD RECORD W/HIM IN THE LINEUP

again I am willing to listen with an open mind, but as I have pushed, there is a very strong argument to be made for trading Vesey now

and eff this clickbait dissing RempEd

Reactions: EdJovanovski

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
People really have PTSD over nothing. I guess it's good that he lives rent-free in so many of NYR's own fan's heads just from existing. Can't imagine what other teams must feel.

I'd be willing to bet Edstrom plays more games this year than Rempe.
I’ll be very happy if that’s true. Edstrom is the perfect modern 4th line guy. Speedy, can hit, solid defensive positioning, and might chip in a goal here or there, but doesn’t bleed possession. His size is just the cherry on top.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I’ll be very happy if that’s true. Edstrom is the perfect modern 4th line guy. Speedy, can hit, solid defensive positioning, and might chip in a goal here or there, but doesn’t bleed possession. His size is just the cherry on top.
In my head, I see Rempe being used primarily if NYR feel someone is "in danger." If the opposition has a bruiser, if there's potential for some kind of retaliation between games, if the opposition has someone who has been playing absolutely unhinged, and NYR feel a star might be targeted by that/those players. That's when I feel we'll see Rempe get anywhere from 1-5 game stretches. Ultimately I see him playing about 30ish games this season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If the Rangers felt Rempe was only on the cusp they would have played him more than two games. I think some here are just in denial about his making the team out of this camp. He is making the team. This business about him being a 5 minute a night guy wasn't even that accurate for last year. He averaged something like 5:34 for 17 games that included a twelve second game---he got ejected on his first shift for the hit on Bastian and a two second game--he was ejected along with three other Rangers two seconds into the game for the line brawl. He had another ejection for the Siegenthaler hit that lessened his ice time for that particular game too. He was actually more like a 7 minute a game player and he's improved over the summer. Last night he played over 13 minutes and had 7 hits. I expect his average this year will be somewhere between 8 and 11 or fairly typical for a 4th line player.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
My take this year has less depth and complexity behind it than in the past, partially because life hasn’t afforded me as much time to ponder the roster, partially because we’re running it back with a similar group for the umpteenth time and I don’t have the energy to dissect the same group over and over again - we can all debate third pairing D or the composition of the pairs and who should be playing in the bottom six but ultimately we’re almost a guaranteed playoff team and far more likely to live or die according to whether Zibanejad plays like 2021 or 2024, or what kind of Panarin makes his way into the post season.

That said:

Edstrom has made the team and deserves a spot.

Rempe is on the team, like it or not. His play may dictate if he stays up the full 82 but I see no scenario where he isn’t on the opening roster.

Jones definitely has looked good enough to play, especially with Lindgren possibly missing time.

We should be willing to completely shuffle the pairs and the line combos. There is no need to cling to what hasn’t gotten us across the line yet… I’m fine with sticking with the familiar, but we don’t have to be married to it. Let’s see how people perform and be willing to adjust. We definitely do not need to see another full season of Mika regression to decide whether he’s “our Ovie” on the PP unit. They’re either hitting the net/going in or they’re not.

Kakko is on his last chance and he’s not helping his case at all so far. It’s time to put up or shut up. Personally I’d rather have Cullye, Edstrom and Rempe all in the bottom six and package Kakko for a player like Pinto who can slide into the 3RW spot Kakko occupies but also can takeover the 3C if (when) Chytil misses time.

Ultimately I don’t think we have a prospect in the system with top six potential at this point - middle six tweener at best - so I’m okay with moving Kakko, Lindgren, Otthman, etc. in a deal that brings in a ~24 or under player who actually looks like a realistic Smith replacement in that top six going forward. Smith will be fine/adequate for his time here but we’re going to have Zib, Kreider, Bread, Tro all getting older and honestly Laf is the only one who has shown he’s genuinely top six worthy. Chytil has the talent, but regardless he can’t be pencilled into taking over that type of role until he can play at least 75 games.

I’m a lot less married to any of our guys than I have been in the past. Honestly I don’t care who is moved anymore. We’re at a point where we are a contender that can’t get over the hump and all of the star power is getting older now but the cupboard has mostly depth players without anyone to really start picking up the slack if those guys begin to slow down in the next couple years so… this is the year to put it all on the table and see where the cards fall. In the past my attitude was like no I love Miller and Lindgren, I love Zib, I don’t want to move them. Now I’m more like “you’re wearing a Rangers jersey, so help us win” I don’t really care what the back of the sweater says anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad