Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Screenshot 2024-09-30 at 8.02.15 AM.png

He won't stop growing!!!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With the Devils real team in the Czech Republic.....the team they're going to dress against us the next two nights is not going to be very good at all.

Line 1--Mike Hardman, Justin Dowling, Kevin Labanc
Line 2--Maxwell Willman, Ryan Schmelzer, Brian Halonen
Line 3--Xavier Parent, Filip Engaras, Chase Stillman
Line 4--Samuel Laberge, Jack Malone, Nathan Legare

Pairing 1--Jakub Zboril, Daniil Misyul
Pairing 2--Topias Vilen, Mikael Diotte
Pairing 3--Will MacKinnon, Andy Welinski

Goalie 1--Jeremy Brodeur
Goalie 2--Tyler Brennan

Labanc has 478 NHL games, Dowling has 100, Zboril 76, Willman 68, Welinski 46, Hardman 37, Halonen and Laberge 2 each. Brodeur was in the ECHL last year and Brennan the WHL.

Reactions: leetch99 and Ail

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
been out of the loop the past week or so. did all the cuts happen yet? is mancini gonna make the team as long as lindy is out?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Is a decision on Brodz-Vesey really that big a deal at this point in the season ? I doubt it . Surely Drury can figure out that part of our roster correctly ? What is of more importance is getting our D sorted out and if that means playing with what we have right now and adding at the deadline then so be it !

As far as guys like Kakko-Cuylle-Othmann they likely will play their way into the proper slotting or be trade bait over the course pf the season . Rempe will be here for a few years is a given . Edstrom likely will be as well unless he becomes a powder puff .

The team looks good so far for regular season success whether we have two fantastic PP units or not and our PK will suffice for a reg season and might get adjusted at the deadline if it needs fixing . Overall we will become a bit more physical /younger /hungrier? which IMO bodes well for a deeper playoff run especially if we meet the Panthers .
1. It is a big deal, this [vesey costing RempEd spot] is an avoidable mistake we should not be making.
2. The D is what it is until the cavalry [Fortescue, and the guy we drafted first pick this yr] are ready. Mancini should be here, playing natural handed RD
Fox
Schneid
Man

trouba = 4RW reserve depth rd until we can ditch him

3. we will not BE "more physical" until BOTH RempEd are HERE

Vesey being 'hurt' is pretty darn convenient for Jimmy, can't waive a player on the IR.

If there was any risk for Vesey being waived, you very much don't want to be waived at the end of camp, where there is a non-0% chance you could clear just based on the number of people on the list (and playing in Hartford is not something he'd appreciate at this point of his career).

If Vesey was waived in-season, there is certainly a team or two that will have injuries, can swallow his low salary, and if selected, he'd have to stay on the NHL roster.

Injury or no injury, Jimmy Vesey just cemented his place on the roster (and earned Edstrom one week of NHL pay)
eff this, it's wrong
deal him now

We're talking about waiving Vesey?

I don't know how much of that is a serious take potentially from the team, versus how much of that is just HF, but did we just decide Rempe is a permanent fixture?

That's going to be concerning when they're back to playing him 4 minutes.
1. why waive, give away for nothing?
add a 3rd w/JV get a 2nd
or a 4th + get back a 3rd

2. No reason for Rs mgmt to be stupid, favor vets, limited RempEd to 4 ish mins
these guys mid 20s, not late 30s
ride the workhorses
RIDE

Jimmy Vesey, for all of his warts, is probably one of the most effective 4th line players IN THE LEAGUE. Why would the team waive him?
He plateaued and is ok, but we need to give RempEd mins, that = priority
so that forces
Brodz v Vesey
JV loses, objectively

Funny that Rempe worked on skating skills so that he could be as good as....Edsrom?

Isn't Edstrom already what Rempe is trying to get to? Huge, but skates well and has hockey skills? Oh right, Edstrom doesn't do pointless staged fights. Hmm, Rempe is looking to remove those from his game so he'd be....Edstrom. Why not keep the actual hockey player on the roster?
disagree and challenge your false narrative
RempEd both = legit players who provide mo energy, size, intangibles
so it is Vesey v Brodz and JV loses
TRADE HIM

I think there’s a case to be made for both. Rempe is a menace in terms of getting to the puck carrier and forechecking. Edstrom is clearly the more polished of the two. The fact the team has two young giant forwards who both appear ready to play, at minimum, 5-8 minutes a night is fantastic.
concur, except no reason to limit these guys more than the natural progression of 4th line; if 4th line gets 12-13 mins per, play these 2 full 12-13 mins

What the edges of the forward group look like on Day 1 of the season is such a nothing burger; there's no wonder everyone is getting agita over it and the click merchants like Vince are using to get views. Wheeler and Bonino were in our top 9 to start last season and we won the President's Trophy. Rempe and Edstrom (and Jonny B & Vesey) are going to play a lot of games this year. Great "problem" for a contender to have.

The camp storyline I'm following is Vic Mancini making the team out of camp. There's really no reason for him not to make it if Lindgren is going to be out for a few weeks. Jones has more than earned the last LD spot. Ruhwedel was signed to be a #7. If Mancini can look passable on the left side, let him play with Fox and see how it goes. I dont care that he was a middling draft pick with no pedigree, hes shown all the signs of being a good modern defenseman. Stays close to his man and makes strong defensive plays, can skate and keeps his head up with the puck on his stick. Dont overthink it Drury.
yes on Man making the team at 3RD

So are all 4th line players. The difference is, the replacement for Vesey is likely to be a less effective 4th liner
disagree
both RempEd better than him NOW

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Fine , rather he’s easily replaceable then. I’m not going to lose sleep over him .
How are we replacing him? Are we trading yet another pick? Are we hoping someone as good or better falls to us on the waiver wire?

I'm sure there are plenty of players out there who can do the same job just as well, but they aren't all available, and if they are available, they aren't likely to be free. From a depth perspective and an asset management perspective, waiving Vesey is a bad idea. It's not going to happen.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I think there’s a case to be made for both. Rempe is a menace in terms of getting to the puck carrier and forechecking. Edstrom is clearly the more polished of the two. The fact the team has two young giant forwards who both appear ready to play, at minimum, 5-8 minutes a night is fantastic.
It certainly is but it is impossible for some to accept change in the roster . One Cup in 80 yrs.....I think those people accept getting knocked out of the playoffs as long as the team gets 100 pts in the regular season.....I think the proper identification of that fan fault is Maple Leafitis .

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Right but literally 0 teams spread out their clear cut 5 best power play players between two units and then roll them evenly.
1st, that’s not what I said we should do… I said we should work on having alternatives for when the current 1st unit inevitably shits the bed.
2nd, whether or not any other teams do it is irrelevant to whether it would be good for NYR…

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Funny that Rempe worked on skating skills so that he could be as good as....Edsrom?

Isn't Edstrom already what Rempe is trying to get to? Huge, but skates well and has hockey skills? Oh right, Edstrom doesn't do pointless staged fights. Hmm, Rempe is looking to remove those from his game so he'd be....Edstrom. Why not keep the actual hockey player on the roster?
Who said he was trying to just “be as good a skater as Edstrom”? Rempe was already faster. Edstrom better in most other facets of skating. Edstrom is SO much better at hockey that he scored 16 points to Rempe’s 12 in the A last year while being two years older…
They are not interchangeable, besides playing different wings, the only thing they have in common is they are both huge. Rempe brings atomic level hitting, intimidation, and an ability to fire up the crowd and his teammates. Edstrom does not. Edstrom is a bit more polished than Rempe, which makes sense as he was playing in a pro league in Sweden before he came here and as noted is two years older.

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
1st, that’s not what I said we should do… I said we should work on having alternatives for when the current 1st unit inevitably shits the bed.
2nd, whether or not any other teams do it is irrelevant to whether it would be good for NYR…
But looking at the math, did the first unit really shit the bed? Or get less chances?
The continued back and forth on the power play is hilarious. We’re a top 5 unit.
We’re a top 5 unit either way.

The playoffs were a top 5 unit. Until they put the whistles away in the last 2 rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad