Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Is a decision on Brodz-Vesey really that big a deal at this point in the season ? I doubt it . Surely Drury can figure out that part of our roster correctly ? What is of more importance is getting our D sorted out and if that means playing with what we have right now and adding at the deadline then so be it !

As far as guys like Kakko-Cuylle-Othmann they likely will play their way into the proper slotting or be trade bait over the course of the season . Rempe will be here for a few years is a given . Edstrom likely will be as well unless he becomes a powder puff .

The team looks good so far for regular season success whether we have two fantastic PP units or not and our PK will suffice for a reg season and might get adjusted at the deadline if it needs fixing . Overall we will become a bit more physical /younger /hungrier? which IMO bodes well for a deeper playoff run especially if we meet the Panthers .

Last edited:

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Vesey being 'hurt' is pretty darn convenient for Jimmy, can't waive a player on the IR.

If there was any risk for Vesey being waived, you very much don't want to be waived at the end of camp, where there is a non-0% chance you could clear just based on the number of people on the list (and playing in Hartford is not something he'd appreciate at this point of his career).

If Vesey was waived in-season, there is certainly a team or two that will have injuries, can swallow his low salary, and if selected, he'd have to stay on the NHL roster.

Injury or no injury, Jimmy Vesey just cemented his place on the roster (and earned Edstrom one week of NHL pay)

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I could see him asking out or going back to Europe. Hopefully not.
I've seen nothing from him that would suggest he would do that. He doesn't seem to have the inflated sense of entitlement as did players like Andersson and Kravtsov. Edstrom is under contract in any case, so he can only go back to the SHL if the Rangers allow it.

Also, this isn't an either/or proposition. If he isn't on the team day 1, that doesn't mean he won't play a lot of games in the NHL this season. It could be that he's sent down so they can carry an extra dman while Lindgren is out, and then brought back up once Lindgren returns. Or it could be that someone else gets sent down instead. I doubt they'll risk losing someone on waivers if they don't have to, but maybe Rempe starts in Hartford.

There are going to be many moves over the course of the season. Whether or not Edstrom is on the roster day 1, I expect he'll play at least 40 games this season.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We're talking about waiving Vesey?

I don't know how much of that is a serious take potentially from the team, versus how much of that is just HF, but did we just decide Rempe is a permanent fixture?

That's going to be concerning when they're back to playing him 4 minutes.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
someone made a thread called 'blockbuster' which a mod closed directing it be sent here
Another poster receiving several likes asked me to show the newbie how it's done
[thanks for the kind words and the love]

The post said:
Marner, Woll, Liljegren, Niemela & a 1st Rd pick in 2026 NHL draft to the Rangers for Shesterkin & Trouba

A 2nd Rd pick in 2026 to a third party team to eat half of Trouba 8 million dollar cap hit.

Kampf, Reaves, Timmins & Jarncrock traded

Paciorrety & Lorentz signed as UFA's

------------
We can't deal Trouba, except MAYBE to Isles or Devils b'c they are close enuf
We are not doing that
I have considered Shesty + Trouba
for
Dobson +
and considering Isles would require Igor extended before as a condition I am leaning more towards other options.

More importantly, WE DO NOT WANT MARNER
It has to be Shesty + Zib + small +
for
Nylander ++

THAT works for both teams
Leafs get elite Vez stud in prime 5-6 yrs or more w/extension
recover most of Nylander taking on Zib

Rs avoid structural cap prob w/Shesty going younger w/Garand
obtain better pure scorer
Zib $ for only a bit more Nyl = smart cap mgmt
we create cap $ for KAM + others getting extended
and we add futures

we are all unique
but some things are not easily done by most
like Frodo carrying the ring,
going full bern is best done ... by bern

Interesting.

@leaffann , do you have any rebuttal to this?

Reactions: bernmeister

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Funny that Rempe worked on skating skills so that he could be as good as....Edsrom?

Isn't Edstrom already what Rempe is trying to get to? Huge, but skates well and has hockey skills? Oh right, Edstrom doesn't do pointless staged fights. Hmm, Rempe is looking to remove those from his game so he'd be....Edstrom. Why not keep the actual hockey player on the roster?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Funny that Rempe worked on skating skills so that he could be as good as....Edsrom?

Isn't Edstrom already what Rempe is trying to get to? Huge, but skates well and has hockey skills? Oh right, Edstrom doesn't do pointless staged fights. Hmm, Rempe is looking to remove those from his game so he'd be....Edstrom. Why not keep the actual hockey player on the roster?

I think there’s a case to be made for both. Rempe is a menace in terms of getting to the puck carrier and forechecking. Edstrom is clearly the more polished of the two. The fact the team has two young giant forwards who both appear ready to play, at minimum, 5-8 minutes a night is fantastic.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
What the edges of the forward group look like on Day 1 of the season is such a nothing burger; there's no wonder everyone is getting agita over it and the click merchants like Vince are using to get views. Wheeler and Bonino were in our top 9 to start last season and we won the President's Trophy. Rempe and Edstrom (and Jonny B & Vesey) are going to play a lot of games this year. Great "problem" for a contender to have.

The camp storyline I'm following is Vic Mancini making the team out of camp. There's really no reason for him not to make it if Lindgren is going to be out for a few weeks. Jones has more than earned the last LD spot. Ruhwedel was signed to be a #7. If Mancini can look passable on the left side, let him play with Fox and see how it goes. I dont care that he was a middling draft pick with no pedigree, hes shown all the signs of being a good modern defenseman. Stays close to his man and makes strong defensive plays, can skate and keeps his head up with the puck on his stick. Dont overthink it Drury.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
What the edges of the forward group look like on Day 1 of the season is such a nothing burger; there's no wonder everyone is getting agita over it and the click merchants like Vince are using to get views. Wheeler and Bonino were in our top 9 to start last season and we won the President's Trophy. Rempe and Edstrom (and Jonny B & Vesey) are going to play a lot of games this year. Great "problem" for a contender to have.
Gonna be pedantic.
Bonino was on the 4th to start the season. Chytil gets hurt 8 games in, which slid him up.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Print out a list of every NHL player and throw a dart at it. There's a non-zero chance the player it hits is playing for the Rangers in the playoffs.

That's why my only strong stance on this tends to be "don't just waive people that might not come back."

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Print out a list of every NHL player and throw a dart at it. There's a non-zero chance the player it hits is playing for the Rangers in the playoffs.

That's why my only strong stance on this tends to be "don't just waive people that might not come back."

That would point to Edstrom starting the season in the AHL. It is what it is, he'll be back probably sooner than anyone would expect. Vesey and Brodzinski are the type of 12th/13th forwards literally every team would love to have. There's no reason Rempe has to play everyday either.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Vesey is a useful NHL piece and used heavily on the PK and people believe there’s any chance he’s getting waived lol

Ya’ll crack me up
Ageism is real. 26 points for 800k.

Can't wait for Kakko to miss 20+ games again and not hit Jimmy Vesey numbers for 3x the price.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Even if Rempe makes the team over Edström, it's only be a matter of time until he'll be suspended again - deserved or not - and Edström should be up again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad