Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
For Jarvis to get more, this was what the Hurricanes had to do. For Igor, well, he's a UFA and he doesn't have to do anything like that. So 16m differed is quite a lot to ask for. Are you deferring this several years?

Also, "
  • The compensation needs to be tied to a season in the contract when it is earned. A portion of the contract cannot be just generally deferred; it needs to be a portion of the payment earned during a specific season that is deferred."
I'm not sure how you want to structure it. But let's just say you defer 8m from season 1 to be paid in year 9, you're looking at really only a 600-700ish cap saving per season. You can alter that with bonuses, but I don't think you're going to be able to get 16m deferred with total cap savings.
And due to inflation deferring is effectively taking a pay cut. So in the end there might not be a big difference between deferring and just taking a small pay cut for the player. In any case he'd have to be willing to do it.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't go a cent over $11M for Igor. Take your 8x11 for $88M or get out of town. We'll sign someone else for 6 and take the 5 to shore up other roster spots.

We've been blessed with fantastic goaltending for many years now. Maybe to our own detriment where they hide fatal flaws within our core and team. By hiding them, we hope Igor can win a Cup for us, and they never get addressed.

We did the same think with Hank (god love and bless him, my favorite Ranger of all time), but we cannot fall into the same trap again

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
honestly has there ever been a more poorly managed team in nhl history? never seen anything more incompetent than keeping pretty much the entire roster that won a presidents trophy and lost out in the conference finals together for another season. i mean sure if you had a handful of young guys still capable of taking significant steps forward that might be the difference you could justify it but it's not like they have any players who might fit that description
If the goal is to be a good regular season team, then yes, this is a good way to go about it.

If you want to win a cup, it isn't.

Cap wise & NTC wise we don't have a choice, I said that in my post.

While we may have some younger guys who MAY takes steps (debatable) we also have some aging "vets" who have just as much of a chance of regressing, like our #1 center for example.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

deathb4disco

Oct 19, 2010
Duluth GA
Agreed.

I'd like to proceed based on how this season goes. There's going to be some heavy furniture moved next summer either way.

I'm also not worried about Kakko. Didn't he come into the preseason looking like gangbusters last year and then fall back to earth anyway during the season?
Laf looked horrible last preseason, and had a monster year, it's one game hopefully he figures it out

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Goalies aren't worth much in trades in the cap era.

If we offered Adam Fox, 31 teams pick up the phone.

If Igor is on the block, there's like 2 or 3 teams that are going to be willing/able to pay the price.

Because you can only have one starter, either most teams with a starter wouldn't be in the market, or they would have to send that starter back because of the cap. We would end up trading Igor for a worse goalie and a small add.

I would rather let him walk and go cheap in goal.
You are not wrong about the bold [disagree otherwise] BUT
bottom line is yr comment is moot.
Sure max # of suitors drives up return to its highest, theoretically, but we only need 1 who will give ballpark what we want for a deal to make sense.

We can not have all the toys money can buy all the time due to cap.
The best we can do is be smart about constantly acquiring, and then repurposing young talent, and when we get a high end guy like this, flip him for top dollar or closest to.

There is value to recovering cap but that is vs letting talent -> production walk.
Each situation dif
no monolith

Also, it would be crazy stupid to deal Garand since his value is not established and based on upside.
Smart move is deal Shesty, insert Garand

-----------------

Am open to consider other scenarios, but TML = a fit.
They can't give their base more of the same.
Nylander ++ for Shesty + Zib + = high risk, but it gives them dif maker in net and w/Matthews, at C.

Nylander is also a gamble but on paper we flip Zib's better physical + big contract for Nyl scoring.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Yes. He leaves himself open too much.

People praised Fil for his performance in the first pre-season game... but he looked like the same old Fil with blinders to me. He'll get blown up at some point again. He can skate and shoot but he just goes up the ice with his head down and is not really aware of what is happening around him.

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV
I have never really considered myself as a fan what we call in soccer a “happy clapper”, but some of the misery guts takes some of you have after the season we had last year just because we didn’t get it over the line is wild.

You didn’t take any joy from anything last year? It’s wild.

You know that scene in Talladega Nights (if you ain’t first yer last) is comedy, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad