Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Can we talk about how Fox is the D version of Panarin in the playoffs?

Where was he the last three playoffs? Not hurt like Trouba. Why does Fox get a pass? The bagels? We have the top guys that play “soft” regular season style.

Fox was literally 2nd on our team in scoring (behind Zibanejad) in the 2022 playoffs.

He was one of our top offensive producers in the short lived 2023 run as well.

There are guys to call out, he isn't one of them.

His partner was radioactive dog shit in the last run and he was playing on one leg.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Can Mark Giordano still play? He's a relic of a bygone era but hes a guy who would be very low risk on a PTO. People forget about the trade rumors around him and Strome at the Seattle expansion draft.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Can Mark Giordano still play? He's a relic of a bygone era but hes a guy who would be very low risk on a PTO. People forget about the trade rumors around him and Strome at the Seattle expansion draft.
download - 2024-09-18T124351.081.png

He's actually still a quality player :dunno:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Can we talk about how Fox is the D version of Panarin in the playoffs?

Where was he the last three playoffs? Not hurt like Trouba. Why does Fox get a pass? The bagels? We have the top guys that play “soft” regular season style.
As others have pointed out, he was hurt last year.

The year before he had 8 points in 7 games. The year before that he had 23 points in 20 games.

No one's talking about Fox because there's nothing to talk about.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hard to be young & fast when you consistently only draft for "young" and completely ignore skating ability at the top of the draft.

Emery is really the only exception in what... a decade?

I mean the team hasn't had that many draft picks but I'd argue:
Berard
Sykora
Chmelar
Rempe
Edstrom
Mancini
Emery

All of these guys can move pretty well. I guess you could complain about Othmann but I've never really seen him have an issue getting to where he needs to be at any level he's played at yet. Maybe it shows at the NHL level but so far, it's not a glaring concern.

Outside of that, the team has decided it doesn't need 1st or 2nd round picks for like a decade...

Reactions: RangersFan1994

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Outside of that, the team has decided it doesn't need 1st or 2nd round picks for like a decade...
Over the past 10 years
2014 - no
2015-no
2016-no
2017-2
2018-3
2019-1
2020-2
2021-1
2022-0
2023-1
2024-1

We’ve averaged 1 first round pick a year, while rebuilding and making the ecf 4x

Reactions: cwede

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I mean the team hasn't had that many draft picks but I'd argue:
Berard
Sykora
Chmelar
Rempe
Edstrom
Mancini
Emery

All of these guys can move pretty well. I guess you could complain about Othmann but I've never really seen him have an issue getting to where he needs to be at any level he's played at yet. Maybe it shows at the NHL level but so far, it's not a glaring concern.

And how many NHL games do those players have between them? We're talking about 10 years of drafting.

Also most of the guys on your list are from rounds #5 and #6. The exceptions being Sykora and Emery, which I already mentioned.

Again... I stand by my statement...

You can't have a fast team when you ignore skating at the top of the draft.

It just doesn't work.

Last edited:

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
no stop dealing youth for vets
stop offering a discounted KK
As correctly noted below bread etc contracts up soon, not being renewed
we will need KK then
concentrate on finding correct linemates match if Chytil + Cuyle are not [as expected]

Also if BJs want to take on cap as you suggest, there are others better fit for such a trade.

glad we avoided stupidity of win now = failure which would reduce size of our window for 1 yr gamble not worth it

other than that, 111% agree
bread will not remotely sniff anything near, let alone more than the 11.6 he gets now from us
whether or not he is worth it -- and compared to other team needs and cap reality arguably he is not -- we won't throw salt in the wound with an insult w/in our price range, like 1 yr 5m-ish
he will thus not get a contract offer from us
to avoid ugly confrontation, he will agree to be moved prior to the last minute
when and where we can ship him to remains to be seen

when all this goes down we will be happy to have a more developed KK in there kickin it

I was not thinking youth for vets. I was thinking Kakko for Kent Johnson or Cole SIllinger, another player that struggled. Both fill a need at center ice depth. Young center ice depth/RW depth.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It's not a discount when that's his value.
It is a discount compared to his upside, and that goes up w/Rs when bread goes

There are exceptions to every rule, but we should not expect if we sell KK for someone w/either issues or reduced upside, they will
a) suddenly realize their full potential
or
b) be a fit here roster wise

bread will be gone before his deal is done
not tomorrow
but not last minute either
a deal is only graceful way to save face for both
it will happen
unless Rs are stupid and self rent and get nothing for him when not re-upping

when bread goes KK value increases automatically, along w/any other productive young Ws

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
It is a discount compared to his upside, and that goes up w/Rs when bread goes

There are exceptions to every rule, but we should not expect if we sell KK for someone w/either issues or reduced upside, they will
a) suddenly realize their full potential
or
b) be a fit here roster wise

bread will be gone before his deal is done
not tomorrow
but not last minute either
a deal is only graceful way to save face for both
it will happen
unless Rs are stupid and self rent and get nothing for him when not re-upping

when bread goes KK value increases automatically, along w/any other productive young Ws

a) What if this is Kakko's full potential?
b) Kakko has shown he isn't a fit here roster wise.

I have no idea why Panarin's exit would increase Kakko's value. 🤔
  1. Kakko isn't likely to get promoted to PP1 if Panarin isn't around.
  2. Kakko plays a completely different position than Panarin.
  3. Kakko can't even beat out Jimmy Vesey for a spot on the RW.

The truth hurts sometimes.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Fox was literally 2nd on our team in scoring (behind Zibanejad) in the 2022 playoffs.

He was one of our top offensive producers in the short lived 2023 run as well.

There are guys to call out, he isn't one of them.

His partner was radioactive dog shit in the last run and he was playing on one leg.
I thought Fox was injured the last two years in the POs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad